Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Disappearing Kenai King Salmon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Just wondering but, IF the red run is decimated in the Bristol Bay area, how much more value would be added to Cook Inlet reds?
    Might have some impact on pricing. And eliminating the setnet fishery,which is krsa's goal, would certainly increase the harvest potential for the drift fishery in which I participate, at least in the short term. But I,and every uci fisherman that I know,do not want to profit from others misfortune or mismanagement. I don't roll that way and neither do the fishermen I associate with.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Might have some impact on pricing. And eliminating the setnet fishery,which is krsa's goal, would certainly increase the harvest potential for the drift fishery in which I participate, at least in the short term. But I,and every uci fisherman that I know,do not want to profit from others misfortune or mismanagement. I don't roll that way and neither do the fishermen I associate with.
    I'm curious which has a larger commercial fleet and harvest, UCI or the Copper River fleet? I think it would put a strain on returns to both.....Also curious what that would mean for the subsistence guys/ dip netters?

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    I'm curious which has a larger commercial fleet and harvest, UCI or the Copper River fleet? I think it would put a strain on returns to both.....Also curious what that would mean for the subsistence guys/ dip netters?
    Price at the dock and at the market of sockeye from other places would rise until it meets demand thatís what would happen without Bristol Bay sockeye. UCI and other places would not change much I donít think maybe more people on the river dipping nets and fishing on river but not sure how they can squeeze more in. Commercial sector would make more money.

Someday in the future, fishing or dipnetting on the Kenai might go like this. License ends in an even number? You can fish/dip on even numbered days. Same for odd. Or perhaps you list the days you plan to fish/dip (so many per year) and can only do it on those days. Think I'm wrong? (maybe I am) Transport yourself to the future and see. For sure things will change.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Transport yourself to the future....
    If I could do that I'm not going to the mouth of the Kenai, I'm going to VEGAS!

Someday in the future, fishing or dipnetting on the Kenai might go like this. License ends in an even number? You can fish/dip on even numbered days. Same for odd. Or perhaps you list the days you plan to fish/dip (so many per year) and can only do it on those days. Think I'm wrong? (maybe I am) Transport yourself to the future and see. For sure things will change.
    Haha I would love to see that like five years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by fuhrerak View Post
    If I could do that I'm not going to the mouth of the Kenai, I'm going to VEGAS!
    LOL no joking

...For sure things will change.
    That's one thing you CAN count on in this world....well, along with the tide I guess.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123