Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Excruciatingly Official Unit 13 Caribou Thread (2019-2020)

We got back this afternoon after spending 14 days on the Denali at about mile 56. We did not hunt the whole time but got to meet/talk with a lot of good people. When we started hunting, we saw animals every day. No big numbers and no real big bulls. We took a barren cow two days ago and she was in good shape. We also got to help some people that had vehicle problems of one sort of another. We did see some nice bull moose that hunters had gotten way back in. They said that they worked their back sides off. The common theme was the lack of water in the area. The swamps were all passable. Most days the trail was very dusty. I think I would rather have the mud any day over the dust!!
    The only down side was that some CH people left a moose head and part of the gut pile in the brush next to the parking area. Our Lab found it and it took two baths to get the smell off of her.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    The only down side was that some CH people left a moose head and part of the gut pile in the brush next to the parking area. Our Lab found it and it took two baths to get the smell off of her.
    Labs and smelly crap seem to go together like labs and water. Sounds like a good time otherwise.

It is a challenge to keep Labs out of water, but at least they do not smell bad after wards. The wet dog smell goes away!
    Love the reply though!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    We got back this afternoon after spending 14 days on the Denali at about mile 56. We did not hunt the whole time but got to meet/talk with a lot of good people. When we started hunting, we saw animals every day. No big numbers and no real big bulls. We took a barren cow two days ago and she was in good shape. We also got to help some people that had vehicle problems of one sort of another. We did see some nice bull moose that hunters had gotten way back in. They said that they worked their back sides off. The common theme was the lack of water in the area. The swamps were all passable. Most days the trail was very dusty. I think I would rather have the mud any day over the dust!!
    Our Experience was similar: we helped folks out with a vehicle problem (locked out of their vehicle having lost their keys and nearly hypothermic from having gotten wet); I got a cow which will eat well, and (the only negative aspect) we could not camp in our favorite spot just up the hill from Clearwater Creek, because someone had decided to leave a mass of rotting offal right in the middle of the spot, and it stunk to high heaven!
    I still remember the help you gave me and my sons once many years ago, AK Bearcat, and I have strived to pass it on.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Our Experience was similar: we helped folks out with a vehicle problem (locked out of their vehicle having lost their keys and nearly hypothermic from having gotten wet); I got a cow which will eat well, and (the only negative aspect) we could not camp in our favorite spot just up the hill from Clearwater Creek, because someone had decided to leave a mass of rotting offal right in the middle of the spot, and it stunk to high heaven!
    I still remember the help you gave me and my sons once many years ago, AK Bearcat, and I have strived to pass it on.
    Thanks, we always try to help people, as that is the way we were taught. Besides, it is fun meeting new, more people up there.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ...because someone had decided to leave a mass of rotting offal right in the middle of the spot, and it stunk to high heaven
    And we wonder why so much of the public look down upon hunters. So many of our own kind give us all a bad name. It's such a shame.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I don't understand why people bring their animals out whole to their camp. Why don't they just cut and gut where they shot it?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    I don't understand why people bring their animals out whole to their camp. Why don't they just cut and gut where they shot it?
    Ignorance...

Like most things in life people do things a certain way because that is how Mom and Dad did it. I the lower 48 you can usually get a truck or tractor to the kill and bring it back home for the rest of the work. Because most hunters or there parents came from the lower 48 that is how it is done. I try never to gut anything. Gut pile is just another thing to trip over. Take hide off one side continue to free up as much as possible on the other side of spine until stoped by ground. take quarters, ribs, and all other meat off. Small slit past top of ribs will get tenderloin. Now just flip animal over and do the other side. Never have to get into guts. All meat sprayed with Citric Acid spray as it comes off into heavy game bags and laid on clean tarp. It has taken several years to figure it all out. Every person that has seen me do it is a immediate convert.
    DENNY

DENNY

Interesting topic of gutting. I used to worry back in NY that the gut pile would change the deer patterns. But after seeing one or two actually step over gut piles my thoughts changed. We still do drag out some deer in the "hot spots" but usually gut on the spot. Up here, I was taught the gutless method by a group of Eskimo's on a caribou hunt. I have used it ever since up here as most animals I have no way to move them in one piece anyways. Since I am a solo archer, the piece method works best.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Interesting topic of gutting. I used to worry back in NY that the gut pile would change the deer patterns. But after seeing one or two actually step over gut piles my thoughts changed. We still do drag out some deer in the "hot spots" but usually gut on the spot. Up here, I was taught the gutless method by a group of Eskimo's on a caribou hunt. I have used it ever since up here as most animals I have no way to move them in one piece anyways. Since I am a solo archer, the piece method works best.
    Hey dave I always start with an incision up the spine from above the tail to the neck and just work one side at a time. Also what some see as a better method is starting with a hind leg and skinning just laying out the hide as you go (1 piece) Either way I am fine with. Only thing I do with the intrels is fish around for heart and liver plus move a little while harvesting tenderloin.

Yes, last thing to take out is the heart, tongue, kidneys and with deer, the liver. Venison liver fried in bacon grease and onions is fantastic.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by boneguy View Post
    Like most things in life people do things a certain way because that is how Mom and Dad did it. I the lower 48 you can usually get a truck or tractor to the kill and bring it back home for the rest of the work. Because most hunters or there parents came from the lower 48 that is how it is done. I try never to gut anything. Gut pile is just another thing to trip over. Take hide off one side continue to free up as much as possible on the other side of spine until stoped by ground. take quarters, ribs, and all other meat off. Small slit past top of ribs will get tenderloin. Now just flip animal over and do the other side. Never have to get into guts. All meat sprayed with Citric Acid spray as it comes off into heavy game bags and laid on clean tarp. It has taken several years to figure it all out. Every person that has seen me do it is a immediate convert.
    DENNY

DENNY
    What about the flank/belly meat? No doubt this is considered edible meat and is required to be salvaged.

i grew up in minnesota and would throw the deer on the fourwheeler and bring it back after it was gutted. When i moved up here i realized that was not going to work. we take off all the meat and quarters we can then pull the guts to the side and grab the tenderloins, then cut a few rib bones out to get to the heart.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    ...Venison liver fried in bacon grease and onions is fantastic.
    Where I was from hunting mulies, eating that was tradition the night of the kill.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345