Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: The Excruciatingly Official Unit 13 Caribou Thread (2019-2020)

AKBC,
    It does seem like the forum this year died down. Hard to say why, but your right to think it has to do with fewer tags. When you reduce the draw from 5,000 to a few hundred, that will have some impact. Facebook groups could be another reason. I am apart of a few groups and it seems like a lot of info is passed on in those groups. I do recall one individual who drove the Denali highway and then went down to Lake Louise in a matter of a day or two and was finding no luck. Thankfully the group of people who responded didn't torch the guy but told him to be patient and glass one area rather than constantly moving.

You would think with them opening up the first season an additional ten days that would peak some interest. I know a few years ago when I had the Tier 1 tag and the ten day opening came, I was glued to the forum. Thankfully I got a report from a friend that they were herding up and was able to connect with a young bull like September 29th from 225 yards from the road. Tasted great.

It is also possible that with the herd size splitting last year, more people opted to hunt elsewhere like the 40 mile herd. Another theory would be that so many people have hunted Unit 13 the last couple of years and became familiar with it, they don't rely on the forum and instead just go out where they had success before hoping to replicate. Regardless, even though I didn't get the tag, I have enjoyed hearing everyone's stories. I plan on hunting unit 13 for the rest of my life and come Nov-Dec, its time to decide draw versus Tier 1.

I had the same experience as AKBC, we drove through on Saturday and saw 100's within a mile of the highway. Some really nice bulls too. The funny part is that there were quite a few trucks with empty trailers and no one was hunting the herds of caribou.

Did you guys see most of the caribou on the east or west side of the Denali?

Most of them were on the west side. But saw some east too.

Large numbers of caribou crossing Richardson meirs lake are yesterday saw several hundred as I was driving glennallen to Fairbanks

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567