Thread: Do the Electronic Fishing Lures really work?

Default Do the Electronic Fishing Lures really work?

Ok, we've all seen the AlaskanAuthor's Electronic Fishing Lures ad on this forum. I'd like to know if anyone has fished with them, and what was the outcome?
    I picked up a few for my Ketchikan fishing trip in a month. Any ideas for how to use them best are appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Gary

Default Lures

Looks Like they caught you! I had a old timer tell me once that all these fancy looking lures are to catch our our and our money...... I think there may be more truth to that than most of us would care to admit.

Tom

Default LED Strobes

B&J's has these pretty neat strobes that only come on when they are wet. My opinion is that they do not help or hurt the catching of fish, other than the line is more likley to tangle with one more thing on it. I think there is always something new like this that is the ultimate fish catcher to suck a few extra bucks out of us in hopes of improving our take.

I have some land in south Florida that you might be interested in :-).

I have seen greed LED's dropped down an ice fishing hole to attract fish. I couldn't believe it with my own eyes. Within no time the LED was being thrashed by salmon the rest of the day. In a crystal clear body of water I do not see the point but under the ice or even in a very silty river the extra glow might provide enough visibility for a fish to either be attracted or hit the lure. I have also heard people using green LED's for halibut fishing in the same manner with success. I wouldn't put it off as a gimmick but it's something worth looking into, possibly buying, and testing out yourself.

Default Bought and tried

I did buy the flashing LED's. I had heard a story where they out fished other poles 5 to 1 out of Homer. I have since used them on three trips on two of my 4 poles, and cannot see any difference on the number of fish caught on those poles as compared to the poles that do not have them.

Default CML markers lights are the way to go!

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    B&J's has these pretty neat strobes that only come on when they are wet. My opinion is that they do not help or hurt the catching of fish...
    Those water-activated strobes from B&J's are called CML marker lights, they sell for 4.95, and they rock! I have used them on two occasions. First time, on Steve's boat with Pro-Fish-N-Sea, we got out to the hole, and I told Steve I wanted to try this marker light I picked up. He said no problem. So the six of us put down our bait and seconds later I get a hit. In fact, I get the first FIVE hits on the whole boat. 35 lb halibut. Next bait down, yelloweye, next bait down, lingcod (not a keeper), next bait down, copper rockfish, next bait down, 55 lb halibut. This was before any other pole got hooked up. It was completely because of my blue CML light.

Second trip out, night time PWS, on our buddy's boat. We had four poles ready to go. I say "watch this", and strap two CML lights in amber and clear to two of the poles. Two poles without. No action ALL NIGHT without CML's, the two poles with the lights hooked up all the fish. We limited out on two poles running CML's.

They work. Get em!

Default Different Experiences

It sounds like they are telling your story there at B&J, since this is about what I heard. I fished with them is very wide ranging conditions, from being in thick fish (Homer) to having to wait a long time for a hit (PWS) and saw no difference with them on or off a pole. I have the clear and blue ones. I am glad they worked for you, and maybe I will continue to give them a try a bit longer (I'll have to pull them out of the garage trash, since I cleaned out the tackle box last night). As with many thing, I guess it's a case of YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

Jim

Smile

I think the lights work. I've used a bunch of different kinds. Maybe I'm just being positive or holding my mouth right.

Default Remember?

Remember Perfect Storm? They were using the light sticks for a reason. To attract the tuna. Light sticks for halibut too.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012