Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dipnetting Violations

The one thing that everyone does not mention is the amount of people dipnetting in such a small area of the beaches. When you put 500 people on one beach and you have just a third of them using a net, the percentages of violations is probably normal as a percentage of the entire group. Just like the shear numbers of sportfishers but sportys are more spread out while using a rod and reel so their numbers would not be so high. I was in Law enforcement years ago and it came down to the number of contacts for a percentage of violations. LT. Godfrey who was in charge of fish and wildlife down in Soldotna a number of years ago said the same thing about citations between the two user groups during a BOF meeting. The blotter does not tell you the number of contacts compared to a percentage of violations. Godfrey would see that on each troopers monthly activity report. One of the duties of a trooper LT. is the numbers game.
    What the blotter that you guys are posting about(have not seen it myself) shows that there were a lot of contacts and with all those dippers being so close together, it does not surprise me on the amount of citations listed. All the cops had to do was walk down the beach for hundreds of contacts if he so desired. With so many citations, I bet anyone a dollar that there were 2-3 law enforcement officers working the beaches. I already posted about my son watching an undercover, in a boat with a dipnet, writing citations for closed waters and the Park Ranger stopping us and 4 other boats to check our paperwork, all in one day. So this year they decided to crack down. I'm glad for that. Dipnetters get enough bad press from comfishers and local people unhappy with the influx of people into their towns. We don't need more bad press as it is.
    What I do when someone I know tells me about committing fishing violations, I read them the riot act. I just don't post about it on the internet. When I am out dipping and see someone committing a violation, I kindly make it my business to go over and tell them that I can see the violation so why wouldn't a cop see it too. Only I'm not costing them a fine and a trip to the courthouse, I'm embarrassing them to correct it. Yea, I have had a few get mouthy on me but when you are being called on an illegal act, you don't yell real loud about it and make a scene. That and not being a small guy also helps. Bottom resort, if I can't get them to correct their mistake, intentional or not, I call dispatch right in front of them. Hell, I do the same for people that litter too.
    Last edited by thewhop2000; 2 Weeks Ago at 21:49. Reason: because
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip? ALASKADIPNETTING.NET

It isn't just this year. Grab yourself a clarion. It is EVERY YEAR.

I checked out the kasilof during the dipping season and it was a zoo!! Idiots running up and down the beach on wheelers, kids running around unattended, drinking, loud music and yes there was a trooper checking everyone as he walked down the beach. It was interesting to see him give the women a smile and "everything looks good" while most of the men got a much more detailed inspection

Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    I checked out the kasilof during the dipping season and it was a zoo!! Idiots running up and down the beach on wheelers, kids running around unattended, drinking, loud music
    Sounds like my kind of fun; sorry I missed it this year!

Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    I checked out the kasilof during the dipping season and it was a zoo!!
    In case you haven't noticed....it's been a zoo down there at that time for quite a few years.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    All of us were 100% legal and way under our limits - we had NOTHING to hide or be afraid of - why should you think otherwise?

The comment of the Officer after he checked my ticket was that "if one person has their ticket correct the rest are likely good also".
    Yep, you just confirmed what I wrote. Perhaps you need to read what I wrote again?
    “I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” Physicist ― Richard Feynman

I finally read the blotter and I see most of the Violations during dipping was not recording your fish prior to leaving the fishing area.
    Not making excuses but I have seen this happening before.
    People cited on the beach by: fishing at the waters edge, finishing cutting tails and throwing them into a cooler. Next they drag the cooler up 50 feet to their tent. They are in violation of not recording their catch prior to leaving the fishing site.
    The same can be said for a boat being put on a trailer and then pulled up to the top of the ramp, to make way for the next guy in line. Those in the boat that had not already recorded their catch are also in violation. I don't totally agree with those assessments but the troopers do. I have watched in years past of people being cited in these circumstances.
    I also noticed they brought in troopers from the Tok , Anchorage and Mat-su Detachments to patrol the fishery, besides the Soldotna post. I am glad to see it happening, enforcement that is. They did pull out the manpower for the fishery. We need more of that to help keep the dipnet fishery a clean fishery. A lot of people are slobs and don't care about leaving their trash and other stuff behind. I can see people getting excited and overwhelmed when dealing with multiple fish but that's no excuse to disregard manners towards the guy next to you or the community.
    Lastly, I feel for the locals when half of the state comes down to put fish in their freezers. Crowded and lines of people everywhere. When we had strong runs of Kings, years ago, in the valley, we always had an influx too. All I can say is grin and bear it!!!! Rants over
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip? ALASKADIPNETTING.NET

You and I are definitely on opposite sides of the fence on this one, but I can't say I disagree with your previous post. I will say that additional enforcement from other areas of the state happens frequently. When guiding bear hunters on the ak. peninsula and kodiak, I occasionally was contacted by enforcement brought in from other parts of the state. Seems reasonable to increase the presence of enforcement in order to deter violations.

Default ???

I read it again - and I still don't know what you are assuming or "confirming" - please explain.

And for the record - I don't favor or agree with violations by any user group. But some violations are obviously more vile than others. Putting a fish in a closed cooler before you clip the tails is obviously less of an offense than exceeding your limit IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan54 View Post
    Yep, you just confirmed what I wrote. Perhaps you need to read what I wrote again?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I read it again - and I still don't know what you are assuming or "confirming" - please explain.

And for the record - I don't favor or agree with violations by any user group. But some violations are obviously more vile than others. Putting a fish in a closed cooler before you clip the tails is obviously less of an offense than exceeding your limit IMO.

You weren't doing anything wrong, you passed the sniff test, the officer deemed you and your buddies to be following the law and there was no reason to dig further, there was no reason to waste your time or the officers time. Some people call it a gut feeling, others call it powers of observation, sometimes you can tell somebody is guilty by looking at them and it might not be PC to say but it's true. If you didn't do the most basic thing to be legally dipnetting then chances are you haven't done other things legally. Like you said he checked the clipped tails, that took what 15 seconds and like you said on your scale of violations less vile than others, had you not clipped the tails then it's on to the next vile violation. It's like pulling over a guy with a broken light and then finding that he has meth and a firearm, if the guy didn't have a broken light he wouldn't have been pulled over. You got checked nothing was out of order, you continued with your day...others who violated the law were cited.
    “I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” Physicist ― Richard Feynman

kasilofchrisn - I have been checked every single year dip netting on the Kenai by park rangers and AST (no city cops). I've been stopped while underway, checked "in line" while fishing/nets in the water, snuck up on while cleaning, checked dockside, checked multiple times by different agencies in the same day.... I'm pretty surprised to see you say you've never been checked in 20 years. Some guys have all the luck I guess. I know I don't so I follow the rules, I've never had a citation either.

-Ben

Quote Originally Posted by ben_ak View Post
    kasilofchrisn - I have been checked every single year dip netting on the Kenai by park rangers and AST (no city cops). I've been stopped while underway, checked "in line" while fishing/nets in the water, snuck up on while cleaning, checked dockside, checked multiple times by different agencies in the same day.... I'm pretty surprised to see you say you've never been checked in 20 years. Some guys have all the luck I guess. I know I don't so I follow the rules, I've never had a citation either.

-Ben
    If you'll reread what I wrote I actually said I was checked once in the last 20 years.
    And as I said they pulled up alongside our boat maybe 15 feet away or more asked us to hold up are fishing licenses, life jackets, and dipnet harvest cards then asked how many fish we had and he was on his way.
    And like I said I fished all four beaches and both Rivers by boat. though I have done the Kenai River by boat more than any other.
    Yeah you must have drawn a lot of short straws to be checked that many times.
    I've been checked several times while ice fishing, once while hunting spruce hen, once while hunting ducks on the flats, maybe once while reds fishing, and once or twice after returning from saltwater fishing in Homer.
    Do you remember that California couple that got caught dipnetting and then selling the fish?
    I believe it was two or three years of dipnetting before they got caught.
    And they were not even Alaska residents!

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I think to me it depends on why a person has committed a violation and not just the fact that they did it.
    For instance I worked with a guy who was dipneting on the beach at the same time I was.
    I wasn't paying attention to what he was doing and didn't know whether he had clipped the fins or not.
    Found out over a year later from another co-worker who was also there at this same time that this gentleman sold nine of his dip net caught fish under his late father's fishing permit.
    And then it was later discovered that year was declared a disaster for the fisherman and anyone who sold fish that year was given $2,000 in disaster relief money from the government.
    Having just recently been released from prison this gentleman talked the fuel supplier into giving him heating oil for his mother's home in which he lived in instead of diesel fuel for a boat that his family no longer owned.
    Had his fins been clipped the cannery would not have accepted them.
    I worked with some other gentleman on the same job and they told me their strategy was not to mark their dipnet harvest cards upon leaving the beach.
    They said that they would keep their dipnet harvest card on their lap with a pen handy. If they saw any sign of a fish and wildlife trooper they would mark their card before he got to them. If they were not checked this allowed them to go back and get a second limit of fish.
    I did mention to them that that was illegal and I did not agree with them doing that.
    I also do not know if they actually went back and got more fish.
    My point of both stories is this: not clipping your fins before putting them away or forgetting to mark your harvest card seem like simple mistakes.
    But there could be a hidden underlying reason a person is doing that such as being able to harvest more dipnet fish later on.
    And while I I would venture a guess that 98% of the time the average guy who forgets to mark his card or clip his fins truly did simply forget there could be more to the story in the future If they are not caught and that is why they should all be treated the same way.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by ben_ak View Post

-Ben
    I have never been checked. On a boat or on the beach. I don't go every year though.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Default depends..

Some discretion, gut feel, and knowledge on the part of the officer goes a long way.

A family down from Anchorage on the beach with a few fish is probably more likely to have made a honest mistake not clipping tails than a local in a well used boat with a cooler full.

Likewise on filling out the tag- if one is carrying a pen or pencil and haven't filled out the tag although they have limit of fish the suspicion of a violation is likely higher than someone that rarely dip nets and maybe forgot or lost their pen and only have a few fish.

The there is always the suspicion that someone just hasn't been caught yet, or the troopers have been waiting for someone they know is breaking the law to slip up.

In any event - thanks to those good guys that catch the bad guys!

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I think to me it depends on why a person has committed a violation and not just the fact that they did it.
    For instance I worked with a guy who was dipneting on the beach at the same time I was.
    I wasn't paying attention to what he was doing and didn't know whether he had clipped the fins or not.
    Found out over a year later from another co-worker who was also there at this same time that this gentleman sold nine of his dip net caught fish under his late father's fishing permit.
    And then it was later discovered that year was declared a disaster for the fisherman and anyone who sold fish that year was given $2,000 in disaster relief money from the government.
    Having just recently been released from prison this gentleman talked the fuel supplier into giving him heating oil for his mother's home in which he lived in instead of diesel fuel for a boat that his family no longer owned.
    Had his fins been clipped the cannery would not have accepted them.
    I worked with some other gentleman on the same job and they told me their strategy was not to mark their dipnet harvest cards upon leaving the beach.
    They said that they would keep their dipnet harvest card on their lap with a pen handy. If they saw any sign of a fish and wildlife trooper they would mark their card before he got to them. If they were not checked this allowed them to go back and get a second limit of fish.
    I did mention to them that that was illegal and I did not agree with them doing that.
    I also do not know if they actually went back and got more fish.
    My point of both stories is this: not clipping your fins before putting them away or forgetting to mark your harvest card seem like simple mistakes.
    But there could be a hidden underlying reason a person is doing that such as being able to harvest more dipnet fish later on.
    And while I I would venture a guess that 98% of the time the average guy who forgets to mark his card or clip his fins truly did simply forget there could be more to the story in the future If they are not caught and that is why they should all be treated the same way.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

To be fair I usually fish at least three or four households from my boat every year so I have a lot more time (usually at least a week) on the water during the season than most but I also have never gone a season without being checked. I launch at the pillars and run down river to avoid the zoo at the city dock so maybe the running time also makes me more likely to be checked. Regardless every year, without fail over a decade, I am checked.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123