Thread: Fillet at the River

Default Fillet at the River

Nearly all the time I fillet at the River but sometimes when dipnetting I fillet elsewhere then have to deal with the carcasses. Can a person take them back and dump them in the River; I noticed a sign at a Campground that said to do that. However I thought I remember reading something that stated once you removed the fish from the river (site) you need to get rid of carcass somewhere else. Like the fish dumpster in Kenai. ????

Any thoughts?

Bring the carcasses back to the river so that the nutrients can be recycled.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default For me it's not a viable option this time

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    I would like to do that, but it's all the way down on the Kenai and I'm not driving 2 + hrs to dump them. I have two garbage cans full of carcasses. I should have filleted them there like usual, but we had to get back. I suppose I shouldn't dump them in any other river though, that would be like transporting fish to another system.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

If you have a septic tank, or a friend with one, dump them down the solid waste vent pipe of the tank. It is good for the system. They break down real fast. Dog food works well too. Helps activate the bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    If you have a septic tank, or a friend with one, dump them down the solid waste vent pipe of the tank. It is good for the system. They break down real fast. Dog food works well too. Helps activate the bugs.
    Boy I'd like to see that one. I don't know how fast things really break down in a septic tank in Alaska. I'm not doubting it but it would be a good science fair project to see just how fast they would break down.

The Soldotna landfill also takes carcasses. If you double bag them they will let you dump them in the building. If not, they have you dump them in the back 40.

Just throw em on the banks so us humans can get better acquainted with our good friends the bears!

Default Wildlife Alaska

I think that's the name of the place. I think I remember someone saying to take your carcasses there as they can use them to feed the eagles and bears.

Just remembered hearing that somewhere. Give them a call....you might actually be helping them out. Hell, they may even give you a free pass!

The best idea is to put them in the river

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    What does ADF&G have to say about other rivers or back to the same river?

Smile

Try using them for shrimp bait

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    What does ADF&G have to say about other rivers or back to the same river?
    Best if you deposit them back into the waters from whence they came.

There is definitely some biologic risk involved when transferring carcasses to another system. Who knows what hitchhikers you may be inadvertently transferring with them.... virus, bacteria, parasites, etc. Sometimes these are bugs that the native fish in one drainage have developed a tolerance/resistance against... but fish in the new location may not have. Kind of like Native Americans being wiped out by small pox.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Agree with doc.

I agree. Don't transfer anything to another stream. A buddie brought home an ocean snail and put it in his aquarium. The fish that he has is really sick now, tail rotting off and glassed over eye. He brought something home besides the snail.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012