Thread: Commercial Rating and Seaplanes

Default Commercial Rating and Seaplanes

If I am reading the regs correctly in CFR 60.129, a distinction is placed on the class of aircraft as it pertains to single or multi engine. So, you'd have to do a separate checkride for Commercial Rating in each. There does not seem to be a distinction between ASEL and ASES. Is that correct? There is mention in CFR 61.129 paragraph 3, Section ii that mentions 10 hours of training in a seaplane for applicant seeking a single engine seaplane rating. There is nothing else in the section that mentions seaplanes at all.
    Is a separate checkride and "rating" required for Commercial ASES? Or is it just considered Commercial Single Engine regardless? If you have trained and passed checkrides in ASEL and ASES prior to commercial rating, are you okay to do commercial flights in both?

Seaplanes and Land-planes are a different class and category type thing.

So even if your are a a commercial land plane pilot you still need to take another check-ride ( and be trained ) for an additional class and /or category for your commercial seaplane rating.

If you are already a Private Level seaplane pilot and a Commercial level Land-Plane pilot, you would still need to take a check-ride to increase your seaplane rating to the commercial level .

And of course there is single engine sea and multi engine sea. Both requiring separate check-rides.

To learn more about seaplane flying read FAA- H-8083-23
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
    Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

Thanks FLoat Pilot, I figured you'd be the one to know about this. The CFR does not seem clear (at least to me) about the requirements. I know that a separate checkride is required to get ASES/AMES, but the Commercial part didn't seem clear. So, it's safe to assume a separate checkride for all classes of aircraft when it comes to Commercial ops? ASEL, ASES, AMEL, AMES...? Seems like a lot of overlap there..

The only way to get commercial seaplane without a second seaplane checkride is to get your float rating after you already have the commercial SEL. If you get the float rating before commercial, then you need both commercial checkrides. You are not the only one confused, I know multiple pilots that have been hired and flown 135 in Alaska without the appropriate rating that thought they were covered by the commercial checkride on land, but found out otherwise after the fact. The distinction is obvious if you study the actual pilot certificate, it will state exactly what the privileges are.

The float ride only has to be a differences checkride though, so it may not be as much airwork as the initial commercial checkride, and could just focus on the water work.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

On a few occasions I have had folks do their initial Commercial Check-ride on floats. On one occasion I had a high time pilot who held Private Single engine and multi engine land ratings, with Instrument rating.

The FISDO and DPE decided that he had already demonstrated the complex knowledge via his multi engine time in and check-ride in a twin retract.

So off he went in my old Cub, doing Lazy Eights, Chandelles, Spiral landings, and so forth during his SES check-ride. Plus of course the tighter landing distances of the Comm SES.

So when it was all over, he held SES-Commercial, Private Multi Land and Private Single Land.

As a follow up to the discussion..there is wording in the requirements saying something to the effect that you need 250 hours for Commercial, and a certain amount of those must be in airplanes for the purpose of...yadda yadda. That indicates to me that not all of the flight hours must be in an airplane of a certain class/type etc. That seems to indicate that any time flown in a seaplane would count toward the total 250 requirement even if you are not seeking a Commercial SES rating..correct? So, if I obtain flight training for Private ASEL, Instrument, etc. then do a ASES add-on- all of those hours in getting the ASES count toward the 250 required for Comm. ASEL. I really adore all of the lawyer talk and sub-paragraphs in the FAA documents..

Yeah why not...

Iím on the other side sort of, Iím a multi engine sea instructor and need a check ride for SES. MAYBE THIS FALL.

I thought you used to teach for Vern in Moose Pass...

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I thought you used to teach for Vern in Moose Pass...
    Good olí Vern! Havenít talked to him for at least a year. He was still as crusty, funny and non-pc as ever back in 2018.