Thread: 2019 Remote Recreation Cabin Sites Staking Program

Default 2019 Remote Recreation Cabin Sites Staking Program

The new brochure for the 2019 offering is out.

https://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/landsales/rrcs/

Not sure how many people here are interested in this kind of project, but, I get asked all the time how I got my property. This is how, it is one heck of an adventure. It is definitely NOT for the halfhearted or lazy. It it a lot of work and it takes real determination to see it all the way through.

We purchased our remote lot a couple years ago from the person who staked it back in 1989. It's an awesome program that gives folks with determination the opportunity to get the perfect little piece of Alaska.

Anyone interested should read the flyer and understand all the nuts and bolts of the program. My view as of a couple years ago is that the state was at that time appraising the lots much higher than they were worth. The evidence of that is the inventory of surveyed but unsold lots in the remote staking areas. When we purchased our lot from the private party it sold for less than half per acre of what the state was appraising nearly identical lots in the area.

Anyone wanting to stake a lot should understand that the state's appraisal may end much higher than anticipated. The state's appraisals are based on size and lot access, so if you want to minimize the appraisal you can stake your lot smaller and/or limit the frontage on a lake or river.

As I said earlier, it's an awesome program. Just go into it with your eyes wide open so you don't sink a lot of cash into having the lot surveyed only to find out the state wants a lot more than you're willing to pay.