Thread: Keel Protectors on HB

Default Keel Protectors on HB

Has anyone bothered to install/apply more keel protection than whats already on the HB? The factory Kevlar strip only protects the bow. There are quite a few different products out there.
    Fighting gravity is never cheap.

My buddies HB has seen a lot of shallow miles on teh Tanana River over 25 years and shows it.

He simply applied Flex Tape 4" over the worn abcks of teh keels and it seems to work great. I keep
    a roll in my gear bag for patching emergencies.

Old thread on here talked about Max at Sterling AK canoe rentals using spray pick up bed liner on the keel said it held up well.

I hadn't heard of using the spray but it sure is quick and easy.......worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Has anyone bothered to install/apply more keel protection than whats already on the HB? The factory Kevlar strip only protects the bow. There are quite a few different products out there.
    After a hard year of going up shallow and gravelly rivers I repair the wear on the keel and keelsons with some cloth and epoxy resin in the worst spots or replace the gel coat with some steel embedded epoxy. When well hardened I sand to a smooth finish and repaint the entire bottom with 1-2 cans of car paint in a matching color. This also protects from the sun as I store it upside down. I tried the truck bed liner on the keel/keelsons but it increased friction and didn't really help much.

The glass cloth with epoxy adhered very well and wears pretty well as well. Biggest wear area is the front 1/4 to 1/5 of the keel/keelsons and the back foot or so, Almost no significant wear where Scott put the Kevlar, or anywhere else on the boat after 18 years of use.

I also gave you more detail in a private message. Keep it slippery and use EPOXY not that Polyester stuff from Canadian tire for your cloth repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    I hadn't heard of using the spray but it sure is quick and easy.......worth a try.
    I recall Max used comercial bed spray only on the keel and had it sprayed on will try and stop by and ask him how its held up, the only way you can see the brown moss-covered water on the Swanson is by the green and orange paint from the canoes hitting them!

All good intel.
    Anyone used this product:
    http://www.keeleazy.com. ??
    Fighting gravity is never cheap.

also new to me!