Thread: Suzuki King Quad 700?

Default Suzuki King Quad 700?

Thinking of investing in a 2005 700 KingQuad and was wondering how they performed as an all around exploring/ hunting rig? Any draw backs, how may miles per tank of gas, etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks...

We own two (2005 and 2006) and added 26in mudlite's to both of them and they are great machines. Your mileage depends on how and where you ride them. As a atv for hunting they lack a good rack system (stock racks are puny and very small). They are easy to steer and my wife loves riding her's. They get better mileage than my 700 Arctic Cat but the AC has a bigger fuel tank. If I were going to seriously consider buying a KQ for hunting I would go with a comparable AC simply because of their outstanding rack system. Both the KQ 700 and the AC 700 have the same motor. The suspension on the AC is better and mud does not collect near as much around the axles and the cv boots as it does on the KQ's.
    Last year while moose hunting we ripped both rear boots on the KQ but the AC came through without a scratch.
    Peyton, Colorado

Default KQ owner

I have a 2005 KQ and love it,
    Added Rear Basket, 26in Mudlites , a 2in lift kit, and Re-clutched it.

Handles great and is much lighter than my old Polaris 500 sportsman.

I recommend it, but plan to spend $$$ to customize Rack, tires, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Hatfield View Post
    Thinking of investing in a 2005 700 KingQuad and was wondering how they performed as an all around exploring/ hunting rig? Any draw backs, how may miles per tank of gas, etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks...
    I don't own one but rode with 2 guys that had 2005s. So I got to watch them for 300 miles or so in 2005 and 2006. The belt exhaust is real low under the rear plastic and they both drowned there belts pretty easy in water up to the plastic in the rear. The drain is REAL hard to get at, I remember it took them a long time to access it and drain the water from the belt. I believe the 2005 had some defective part in the EFI, check the model # as this only applied to the ones made in the first part of 2005. I was with a guy who had one of the early 2005 models and it quit on top of the King Mtn trail and we had to tow him back and I recall what he said about this defective efi part. (maybe it was a 2006 model)
    As far as tearing boots- ALL ATVS come with cheap plastic skid plates and A-arm guards. The first thing a serious alaskan atv rider does is discard the stock tires and get real tires, the second thing is to buy metal (alum) skid plate and A-arm guards to protect his investment.
    The King quad gets Rave reviews from it's owners and is a good choice you are making. But no way will you ride off into the sunset and be totally happy
    You'll NEVER get enough info asking on this board and from people you know. Go to Highlifter.com and read on the Suzuki Forum. Thousands of owners post there and you will be made aware of every problem and fix. They also compare the KQ to every other model. Post your question there about buying the 05 if you want to learn. As far as AC700 vs the KQ700 I think you'll find the AC700 has way more issues than the KQ700. More than some nice rack will make up for

I installed the metal CV/axle protectors that are the Suzuki factory parts. I believe this helped cause the boots to rip because mud and stones did not have an easy way to find there way out of the "skid plate".
    I drilled a bunch of holes in them but have not been back out to give them a try yet.
    I am not aware of any issues with the AC 700. My Suzukis have been recalled I think 3 times so far, once for an efi issue, once for a speed limiting reverse issue and the third I can not remember.
    But I would agree on going to highlifter for a better review and I would also recommend this site as well:
    http://www.nyrocatv.com/
    Peyton, Colorado

Thumbs up Can Am

The Can Am suppose to be the best ATV running!
    Alaska

Default Kq 700

I have an 05 KQ that I love. The IRS makes it easy to ride long distances.
    I have the alum skid plates and it really protects the quad.
    I had to have the CPU replaced due to failure at 300 miles. I was also towed from Kings River. It has some low end lag, but they should be coming out with an upgraded CPU for them, a clutch kit will help some though.

See ya on the trail.
    Doug

Unhappy 07 KQ Owner

After 120 miles, I just returned to town (In the middle of my moose hunt!!) to repair RT outer CV boot on my 07 KQ 700. Hunting partners ride a variety of machines (2 Ranchers, 1 Kodiak, Polaris Ranger). None of them experienced a torn boot in years of hunting the same area. If there is one glaring deficiency on my KQ: It is is the exposed outer CV boots! I even mentioned it to Valley CC when I made the purchase. As far as I'm concerned this is a design flaw from Suzuki. BTW: Metal guards dont cover outer CVs any better than the plastic. The real ***** is in order to replace outer boots you have to remove and disassemble inners. Previous poster was also correct that it's a bear to clean these things up. Lots of places for muck to hide.

Well, dont get to discouraged. I had never in my life replaced a boot before I attempted to. But once I received the quote from Anch Suzuki for doing it I told myself I would learn quick!
    I ordered two boots plus the banding tool from Gorilla for about $80 for everything.
    Jack up the rear, drain the diff, drop the rear suspension and the axles pop out. There are one or two snap rings that have to be removed to get to get to the boot closest to the wheel but it really is an easy job.
    I do not think the boots rip because they are exposed. I think they rip because mud, rocks, and stick collect in that little area directly under the boot. Stop and check this area often while riding and you should be fine. I also would not end a hunt if I ripped a boot. We rode about 75 miles after we detected the boots were ripped and we didnt hurt a thing. It does help to carry a tube of CV joint grease and just pack it inside the boot to keep the water out.
    Peyton, Colorado

Thumbs up

I have a 2005 Suzuki Kingquad and it has 1000 mile on it and it hasn't broken down. It always starts , the IRS is very smooth, and the EFI gives great throttle response.The Kingquad is very light weight and easy to steer too. But it uses alot of plastic that can break easily.

Default Suzuki quad

I have an 03 Vinson quadrunner (manual). I ride it all year round. actually more in winter during ice fishing. I bushwack hard and also ride trails. never had a boot problem with just the orig. plastic. I run on ITP589 27" rubber. only issue is brakes had to be replaced after 1000 miles.
    Suzuki is a good ride. FYI, Honda shop on 5th ave took over Suzuki Sales and servicing. They are super service guys and know a ton about Suzukis.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Go here: http://atv.dnsalias.com/forum.cgi?viewcat=4 these guys are the @#$% when it comes to the King. If you cant find an answer to a King Quad question here, then Nobody knows the answer! Ok, that said, and assuming you will go to the web site to read it for yourself. the 05's (some) had a reverse gear problem that was covered under warrenty, and also an EFI "brain box" problem that messed things up in cold weather, also covered under warrenty. I have an 06 and an 07 and have no complaints.............well, except for the torn CV boot thing that I also experienced (Snowolfe and I worked the first one together) but like he said, now that you know not to let the plastic cover fill up with rocks, weeds or what ever, then you shouldnt have much trouble. I have filled the belt drive housing with water, but you got to be DEEP, like way over the tires and even over the fenders deep before it happens, and the drain plug is not hard to find...............provided you know were it is! but it does take a needle nose plyers to get it in and out. They are great machines in my opinion, and if you get one at a good price, they you will be a happy camper.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio