Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly

Default Grizzly

Howdo ya'll. THis is a great site!

I have an opportunity to hunt Grizzly/predators in Sept. I have never hunted Griz before and was wondering what the drawbacks to hunting them at this time of year might be.

Short hair? Dense brush?

I have also read many opinions on optimum caliber for this species and as I imagined it is all over the board. I typically use a 300wm or 7mmRUM. Both of which get the job done on elk quite proficiently.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

peace

Waveone the hair will most likely be short or uneven.

Wink

i would not use a 7mm. the .3oo will do fine with a premium 200 gr. bullet of your choice.

good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by cold zero View Post
    i would not use a 7mm. the .3oo will do fine with a premium 200 gr. bullet of your choice.

good luck.
    Cold zero, that is kind of what I was thinking. Hoiwever it is an Ultra Mag and packs quite a punch. But the 300wm is a bit more stout.

So I should expect to see short or uneven coats in late Sept? THat is kind of a drag. Now I know why I am getting such a discount. However the price is for grizzly and predators plus tags. Is $6500 a good price for that?Seems like it is.

Lightbulb

This being the internet, 25 guys will disagree with me. I am not saying you can't take a grizzly with your 7mm, ultra mag or reg' mag. i.m.o. it is a less than ideal choice in that you are shooting 160 or 175 gr. bullets .27 cal..

On guided hunts for non res', especially if you are only going to go once in your lifetime, why go undergunned when so much is riding on your first shot?
    If anything, go with the heaviest gun your can shoot accurately. What's too much gun, dead is dead.

The gun/ammo, is not the place to save money on a trip like this. instead stay in a cheaper motel, make 1-2 extra flight connections going there and coming home, etc.

The minimum caliber i use for any ak. bear hunt is a .30 whatever, with at least 200 gr. premium bullets.

Shot placement and the first shot (cold bore) are the most important things.

Note:
    I have taken an 11' brwn bear, have not been grizzly hunting and will be going in sept, 2008 for grizzly. for what it is worth.

This being the internet, 25 guys will disagree with me. I am not saying you can't take a grizzly with your 7mm, ultra mag or reg' mag. i.m.o. it is a less than ideal choice in that you are shooting 160 or 175 gr. bullets .27 cal..

On guided hunts for non res', especially if you are only going to go once in your lifetime, why go undergunned when so much is riding on your first shot?
    If anything, go with the heaviest gun your can shoot accurately. What's too much gun, dead is dead.

The gun/ammo, is not the place to save money on a trip like this. instead stay in a cheaper motel, make 1-2 extra flight connections going there and coming home, etc.

The minimum caliber i use for any ak. bear hunt is a .30 whatever, with at least 200 gr. premium bullets.

Shot placement and the first shot (cold bore) are the most important things.

Note:
    I have taken an 11' brwn bear, have not been grizzly hunting and will be going in sept, 2008 for grizzly. for what it is worth.
    Not certain this would be my only Grizzly hunt however your point regarding caliber is well taken. My sentiments exactly. Dead is dead and I shoot both proficiently. So I would expect to drop it the first shot, in a perfect world. I do not scrimp on boots , gun ammo or optics. THey are too critical. I was even considering a 375h&H b/c i was told it was the minimum required. I quickly found out that was not true and a 300wm is enough gun.

My question is this then: Since you have a hunt scheduled you apparently do not feel that the bears coat will be too much of a deterrrant.?I am not just going on the hunt just to hunt rater looking for a trophy quality animal.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by waveone View Post
    Now I know why I am getting such a discount. However the price is for grizzly and predators plus tags. Is $6500 a good price for that?Seems like it is.
    I missed this last post. It is a bargain price. Who is the outfitter? p.m. if need to.

If you do not get a bear, then is the $6,500 a bargain?

If you are trophy hunting then many factors come into play. The area, The outfitter, time of year (sprg. or fall), how many have been taken last couple years, the weather's fickle finger, hunting pressure and on and on.

Having an outfitter that you have total faith in, is like having a future hall of fame quarterback calling plays for you 2 minutes to go when you are down buy 3. No one feels they are out of it, till you are on the plane again.

.338 would be a good choice with 250, 275, 300 gr. and a 1.5-5x, 1.75-6x or 2.5-8x scope fully weatherized. you still owe it to the animal to make as fast and clean a kill as can be. to me, again this is a heavier gun, not the minimum that will get the job done.

Outfitters like that are not many and do not come cheap.

I agree about the 300winny.

As for the condition of the hair. its a toss-up. 2 years ago my buddy shot a griz off the taylor in aug (on a moose hunt) and the hide was absolutely beautiful. My wife has had bears taken in july turned in and the hides were great. She also has had bears turned in in early spring that I wouldnt give a plug nickel for let alone pay to have it rugged.

Just look for a nice bear and/or dog and wack em.

Good luck
    Joel

I missed this last post. It is a bargain price. Who is the outfitter? p.m. if need to.

If you do not get a bear, then is the $6,500 a bargain?

If you are trophy hunting then many factors come into play. The area, The outfitter, time of year (sprg. or fall), how many have been taken last couple years, the weather's fickle finger, hunting pressure and on and on.

Having an outfitter that you have total faith in, is like having a future hall of fame quarterback calling plays for you 2 minutes to go when you are down buy 3. No one feels they are out of it, till you are on the plane again.

.338 would be a good choice with 250, 275, 300 gr. and a 1.5-5x, 1.75-6x or 2.5-8x scope fully weatherized. you still owe it to the animal to make as fast and clean a kill as can be. to me, again this is a heavier gun, not the minimum that will get the job done.

Outfitters like that are not many and do not come cheap.
    THe guide is a master guide whom is a very close friend of one of my close friends. Does that mean he is an all-star? Don't know.

Now as to your question is it worth it if we kill nothing ? I suppose that is a matter of pewrspective. However what I gather is this is an issue for him b/c he says it is decimating his Moose resource and he wants them thinnned out.

When I find out this guys service name I will tell you in a PM.

Finally I am still not clear on the presentation of the coat in Sept. Is this going to be presentable?

the fact that he is a friend of a friend is a plus. on the other hand, i would vet him, the way i would a total stranger. it is still your money. i have seen my buddie's friend take a screwing as well. the time for due diligence, is before you write the first check, not after the hunt is over.

master guide does not mean he is an all star. that status is determined by his record and reputation. the title means little, except maybe to him.

The wolf issue could also be one of the reasons for the reduced price. if the price is right, i would come and whack a few wolves if he needs guys for that? i will also be up there anyway in sept. and likely again in oct.

as for the coat, hard to say. you could get a rubber one in the fall or not. generally, the sprg ones if caught right will be long haired and lusious, more so than a fall coat. body size will be substanially larger in the fall.

Default hair quality on bears

For the most part a September bear will be fine. My clients have taken many bears in September and have had no troubles with them. As with all bears, you want to look them over carefully before pulling the trigger though.

Spring bears have the longest hairs, but some are rubbed badly. Fall bears are generally shorter in the hair department and you do get some with rubs then too.

Hope it helps.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    For the most part a September bear will be fine. My clients have taken many bears in September and have had no troubles with them. As with all bears, you want to look them over carefully before pulling the trigger though.

Spring bears have the longest hairs, but some are rubbed badly. Fall bears are generally shorter in the hair department and you do get some with rubs then too.

Hope it helps.

-Mike
    Mike Strahan??? NYG your comments and cold zeros are a ton of help. I appreciate it b/c as I said I am new to bear hunting and definately to Alaska so any info regarding such topics is a plus.

Again -great site

dont listen to any of the crap these guys are saying, if you can shoot, you can kill a griz with anything above a .243. it's all about shot placement! these guys can shoot so they use the biggest caliber they can afford!! if your a real hunter you'd use a bow!!!!

Angry B/S

Quote Originally Posted by weasel View Post
    dont listen to any of the crap these guys are saying, if you can shoot, you can kill a griz with anything above a .243. it's all about shot placement! these guys can shoot so they use the biggest caliber they can afford!! if your a real hunter you'd use a bow!!!!
    I'm not sure if you are just trying to start something or what. Your statement is true about calibers and no one could argue about shot placement, but your advice and reasonings are lacking in judgement. I guess that since the 15th century when some civilizations were starting to use rifles to feed their families, they became non-hunters or when the indians started to use rifles instead of bows they were no longer warriors or hunters according to your statement!!! Not every situation offers a perfect shot but we should use the right firearm for the right situation. I respect and admire any hunter willing to go after a brown with a bow. Some of us can't, for one reason or another, but for you to insinuate that you are more of a hunter than those of us that don''t use a bow is absurd!! Maybe, we just love our families and our familes love US........

Quote Originally Posted by weasel View Post

Um actually I am taking my bow. In fact I am seriously considering hunting the grizzly w/a bow and predators w/ a rifle. Guess shoe leather is a common meal for ya huh? Regardless of apparatus used what difference does it make what the preference of another person is?

W/ all dues respect, unlike your demeanor weasel(which I find an appropriate name) I find your manner offensive. I value the opinion of people who have been there done that when I have not.

So instead of making boneheaded comments and stirring up ire it might be wise to at least "act" like a civil human being as opposed to a jackass.

Incidentally I have taken many species w/ a bow .However that does not necessarily make me a better hunter than someone who uses a rifle.

Default Shot Placement

The subject of shot placement has been brought up but nobody has said *where* the shot should be placed so I thought I'd give my two pesos here. A friend of mine that used to be an AK Professional Guide told me that the first shot on a Griz (or brownie) should be in the front shoulder. The thought is that a couple of shots thru the heart and the bear still has plenty enough energy to run you down and kill you before he dies. A shot to the front shoulder keeps him from running and followed up by a second kill shot to the heart is, in his opinion, the best and safest method. I'd love to hear others opinion on this.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Smile JMO

Just my opinion on a few of the issues brought up in the post. First of all, Waveone- come up and kill a bear any time you want- the Moose will really appreciate it!! Your .300wm will due fine- shot placement is very critical- and I would always recommend a kill shot everytime. I know people who live by the "shoot them to slow them down first" principle but I have had success with every bear I have hit in the kill zone- whether I was hunting with my bow or a rifle.

As far as hair quality, I just got back from my cabin north of Talkeetna and saw 5 different Grizzlies while fishing- 2 seemed to have reasonable (short) even hair and the other 3 looked like a poodle right after getting groomed.

I find this Weasel character amusing- Any ethical hunter would endorse using a caliber that would have enough knock down power combined with vital destruction ability. I don't know how many big bears you have killed with a .243 but I can't imagine you have too many guys that want to go bear hunting with you!

Thumbs down

Weasel;

If you have been a member here for longer than a few weeks , than you would know the history behind the members/mod you just insulted.

You should try keeping your pie hole shut, instead of opening it and confirming for everyone what a *****you are.

Kindly list for us the Grizzly outfitters who will taken you bear hunting with your .243?

Default Bears and Lead

I can tell you that bears can soak up the lead. This bear was shot in the left shoulder with a 300 WM and ran like he was not hit, the follow on shot hit him in the back right leg near his vent. That shot slowed him down. When we got to where he was he was still trying to get at us and it took 2 more 300WM and 1 338 Mag to put him down. As stated many calibers will kill a bear, but will it die before it kills you?????

Steve

Stid your last sentence is one of the best that I have read on this board. My feelings on the subject can be summed up by: There's no such thing as overkill. Dead is dead and live is not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast