Thread: Hitting 2nd run reds in the upper Kenai yet?

Default Hitting 2nd run reds in the upper Kenai yet?

Has anyone been fishing the upper Kenai in the last day or two? Have the second run of reds made it up that far yet? Should be anytime now if they haven't got there yet...

I'll check tonight and post tomorrow. For what it's worth, the russian weir count just jumped from ~200 pretty steadily over several weeks to ~1,500 yesterday.

I saw the "blip" on the Russian count this morning which is perfect timing of 7 days (or so) from the time they hit big on the weir at the mouth (upstream a bit) of the Kenai. I hate those years when the reds decide to "hang out" in Skilak for a week before they get back into run mode and get out of the lake and into the upper Kenai.

Well I did go down on Saturday morning and 3 of us fishing all the way down from Sportsmans to Jim's caught nothing worth keeping. We only saw first run reds. No bright 2nd run fish what so ever. Taked to several others fishing and got the same reports. "Thought we were going to hit the 2nd run big this weekend, but they are not here yet". Has to be any time now though. Maybe even today. In fact, probably today since I didn't go back down!

We just got back from the kenai keys... not much real hot fishing from bank and didnt see any legally caught fish but everyone was keeping them anyway lol.. We were fishing in the sanctuary and got 6 in 2 days... wasnt putting in much effort being we had 30 fish from dipping... lost well over 50... and released another 10 snagged ones, pretty fun

Default They're in . . .

I drifted Thurs, Fri, and Sat from Sportsman's to Jim's. While a bit spotty, we (three of us) managed to take 35 out of 45 possible fish (we didn't find out they raised the limit until Thurs ). There were a LOT of blushed fish, and some that were downright tomaters, but fish could be had.

SH

Fished the sancturary Sunday from 4--8. Landed two and hooked ten to twenty. Not hot yet, but didn't feel like it was a waste to be there. Lots of people striking out, but a decent amount with at least one fish.

Fished the sancturary Sunday from 4--8. Landed two and hooked ten to twenty. Not hot yet, but didn't feel like it was a waste to be there. Lots of people striking out, but a decent amount with at least one fish.

We fished 11pm Saturday till 6am Sunday at the ferry boat crossing. Caught and released a lot of fish for the first couple of hours and wished we had not. About 50/50 between the bright fish and the ones with color. It all perty much ran out before day light. Had a great time though. Took home seven bright reds. Cant complain!

http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"