Thread: Shout out to SeaTow

Default Shout out to SeaTow

Last friday everything was going perfectly. Made the tunnel with no wait. No line at the ramp. Launched and headed out with Whittier in my rear view before noon. But then just out of Passage Canal....groan/grind/crap. U-joint let loose. Called Seatow and Capt Trey was on scene in 45 min. Got towed back and was on the trailer a little more than an hour later. What would have been a $600 tow bill was Zero with my membership. Do yourself a favor. Buy a membership. It is cheap insurance.

I purchased SeaTow and I hope I never have to use it. Glad you purchased it, nothing is better than knowing you have help if you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by HKYDDY View Post
    Last friday everything was going perfectly. Made the tunnel with no wait. No line at the ramp. Launched and headed out with Whittier in my rear view before noon. But then just out of Passage Canal....groan/grind/crap. U-joint let loose. Called Seatow and Capt Trey was on scene in 45 min. Got towed back and was on the trailer a little more than an hour later. What would have been a $600 tow bill was Zero with my membership. Do yourself a favor. Buy a membership. It is cheap insurance.
    Good idea to pull the outdrive every fall and grease the ujoints and check the gimble bearing. It's also a good time to check the bellows. I think next year I will pay for SeaTow just in case.

Its probably is a good thing to have for some. But my boat insurance covers me for emergency services up to $1,000 per incident if I need help and it is only a $10 addition to my policy. I purposely included that in the policy because the boat is financed.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Good to read the fine print on the emergency services/towing policies from insurance companies, many have mileage limits or geographic restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by BQuad View Post
    Good to read the fine print on the emergency services/towing policies from insurance companies, many have mileage limits or geographic restrictions.
    You also need to know what the lay-out period is. If you are out on the water outside of that, nothing applies.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Quote Originally Posted by HKYDDY View Post
    Different location/date/problem (and slightly longer times for all aspects) but it was great having SeaTow available. Very straightforward operation ....timing dictated that we slow down the tow so as not to join the crowd of returning charter boats at around 5:30....that worked out well.

The dummy invoice they gave me showed $495 would have been the charge w/o the insurance.
    Back in AK

Quote Originally Posted by otnotdoit View Post
    Good idea to pull the outdrive every fall and grease the ujoints and check the gimble bearing. It's also a good time to check the bellows. I think next year I will pay for SeaTow just in case.
    I just had my transom rebuilt last year with a new drive assembly. This was a fluke mechanical failure. Or possibly related to the couple of trips ago when I when across some asshat's floating pot buoy line and raised the drive all the way to clear it from my prop and being so pissed off that I forgot to lower it before I fired her back off and engaged the throttle. Im sure that did the u-joints a bunch of good.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Its probably is a good thing to have for some. But my boat insurance covers me for emergency services up to $1,000 per incident if I need help and it is only a $10 addition to my policy. I purposely included that in the policy because the boat is financed.
    Dave, curious why you did not utilize this on your recent incident. Is there a deductible that applies? Risk of a rate increase similar to an auto policy, other restrictions? Just wondering what might be the better option.....the boat insurance or SeaTow option.

Don't know what Dave's situation was, but if you happened to have a friend nearby who doesn't mind helping you'll save at least time on the water waiting for SeaTow/Insurance to get there to help.

Default It's worth the peace of mind.

Last May when I developed an electrical problem that I could not solve, we contacted another vessel that had phone coverage. They made the call into Whittier SeaTow for us. 2.5 hours later, Seatow vessel arrived right on eta and towed us 40 miles back to port. It took about five and a half hours from hookup to launch, returning on an outgoing tide, and bucking a fairly stiff breeze.
    Most times there isn't a friend or other vessel that is willing to tow, especially long distances. Towing is hard on boat motors, and time consuming. SeaTow is cheap insurance that provides a professional, safe, and needed service . Not to mention how much "peace of mind " is worth.
    Thanks SeaTow!

Quote Originally Posted by truesubsistence View Post
    Dave, curious why you did not utilize this on your recent incident. Is there a deductible that applies? Risk of a rate increase similar to an auto policy, other restrictions? Just wondering what might be the better option.....the boat insurance or SeaTow option.
    I have had four incidents this year. Twice friends were near. The others, out of frustration, I used the kicker. After a new carb., alt., dist., wires and six coils I hauled the boat over to Andy at Noah Marine to fix it. Even the outdrive that was sent to a place over on the Kenia leaked after being rebuilt and gone thru. I have confidence in Andy fixing the problem.

After the first incident years ago where I was in the "lay out period" I switched insurance companies. That period included the start of shrimping season so I can't have that. I probably could of called SeaTow and my insurance would pay for it this year. This year was a frustration year with local mechanics just not being able to fix the problem and replacing parts in hope it went away.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Keep in Mind but depending on time of year a tow from Monty to Whittier could run $1500 to $5000. Your boat insurance probably has a limit. I will have sea tow next year.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I may go with Sea Tow this year. If I buy it, I won't need it. If I don't buy it, I will.

Patriot Life Member NRA

I purchased Sea Tow last year and thankfully didn’t need it. However the piece of mind of having it was well worth the expense. Many times in the past 17 years I needed to be towed in by friends or passing boats. Nobody likes to make those uncomfortable calls to friends to come help when in trouble. However having good friends willing to help is “priceless,” but I am always concerned about the wear and tear on their boats. I will have Sea Tow again this year.

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

I bought the Sea Tow coverage even though I rarely even go to the ocean at all. I did it for the coverage just in case, obviously because I don't have a lot of experience on the ocean but also just to help and encourage the operators to stay in business. It seems like a cheap way to help keep a service available to our part of the world.