Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hawkeye Alaskan or savage brush hunter???

Default Hawkeye Alaskan or savage brush hunter???

I have been wanting a ruger Hawkeye Alaskan .375 ruger for a wile and I see that they are being made again! I also stopped by my local gun shop the other day and he had a savage brush hunter .338 win mag on the shelf for 1/2 the money. Now my dilemma; do I save up and by the Hawkeye probably at tax time, or do I spend 1/2 the money for the savage? Thoughts on the 2 rifles and on .338 win mag vs .375 ruger please???

While I can not comment on the Ruger Hawkeye, the Savage would be worth looking at real close. My wife has an 116 stainless in 338 WM and had been very happy with it. While the Savage may be 1/2 the cost, it leaves nothing behind in regards to accuracy!

You said you have been wanting the Ruger for a while. If you buy the Savage, you'll continue to want the Ruger. I'd say save a little longer and get the one you really want. JMHO
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

WTH, get both!

$999 from Boondocks is what I paid for the Ruger Guide model .375ruger. Had the Hawkeye Alaskan for over 8 years. You want the guide model, trust me! I left the brake on as it came from factory- huge difference in recoil w out much added length. It’s my only hunting bolt action, picked up a 45/70 marlin this spring. But w the ol Alaskan it killed mountain goat, black tail and black bears all the same. Heck of a gun for Kodiak. The guide is just nicer. My old one was said to b black coated over stainless but no way. It rusted easily but it cleaned off easily also. Hogue stock was to sticky. I shot it well scoped and w iron sights.

Kept the scope- leupold 1.75x6 VX3. You want to b able to see your toes on low power shouldered is what I was told- goin after big bears tracking. But seen leupold v6 mentioned w 2x12? That would b sweet scope as it only drops 8” in 300yards. Killed my deer at over 250 yards on 6. The guide still isn’t scoped, no time, but I shot a Blackie in ‘18 over bait w 300gr- massive wound channel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it appears the new Hawkeye Alaskan is the barreled action from the guide gun in the hoage stock. muzzle brake system and all which I think is pretty cool.

Kinda depends on if "half the money" is really that important to you or not. For some it would be, some not so much. You'd probably end up being "happy" with the 338, but it's not what you've wanted for so long. What's really gonna make you happy in the long run, getting what you've been wanting, or something that you feel you're "settling" for?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I also have 2 savages, one older 116 .300 win mag weather warrior which I love! The other is a new 110 lightweight storm 7mm-08 which handles great and is very accurate, but I don't care for the bolt. It is almost like the Remington 770s where if you aren't perfectly straight (like cycling in a hurry for a follow up shot) it hangs up a little.

That's a very good point. The savage is a close design to the ruger, but I guess I have to figure out if it's close enough to be happy with it or if I would keep wanting the ruger if I buy the savage. Does anyone have any first hand experience with the savage brush hunter? As far as quality???

I have hunted with both calibers and I think both calibers work great. I am currently using a Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan Stainless 375 Ruger. It's the 20" barrel mounted in the Hogue stock. I love the length for carrying while in the brush. I think it is a great gun and as far as calibers, you would probably be happy with both as I was. One thing I have noticed with me is that when I am wanting a particular item and then get or settle on something else, it bugs the heck out of me for quite some time. It is hard when talking hundreds or even thousands of dollars but if you can afford it, you won't think about the price at all after a short time, but you will probably think of the other rifle for a long time. I vote for getting the rifle you want and don't look back!

I've got the Ruger Alaskan guide gun in 375Ruger. It's friggin' awesome! Surprisingly VERY accurate with the 270grainers..
    If you've been wanting one, then just get it. You won't be disappointed..

Factory ammo or handloads?

Quote Originally Posted by misportsman View Post
    it appears the new Hawkeye Alaskan is the barreled action from the guide gun in the hoage stock. muzzle brake system and all which I think is pretty cool.
    Well, then, it sounds likes you have two options w ruger hahahaha. Tigers are made to be worked hard- any ruger I’ve owned has never jammed! CRF bolt and best type to have w this type of cartridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have owned 3 Savage stainless synthetic .338 WM rifles over the years. 2 Bear Hunters, and 1 AK Brush Hunter. Super, super tack drivers. All three have loved the Winchester Supreme 210 BT... and shoot other ammo extremely well. Sub MOA. I never did like the stock though. As to the Ruger... well all of the other rifles in my safe are Ruger MKIIs, and one Hawkeye (Compact Hawkeye in .243). The Ruger Alaskan Hawkeye has the mat (and rough) stainless finish that I am not in love with, it collects dirt and bark from the brush and needs a very hard scrubbing to come clean. If they made the Alaskan in the older super fine finish stainless I would own a few. The bolt and slides on the stainless Hawkeyes is too rough and needs to be polished. I really like everything about the AK Brush Hunter except the quality of the stock. I believe the new Brush Hunters are 20" whereas the Brush Hunter of a few years ago was 18" which is what I had.

Either rifle will do the job. As a 3rd throwing it out there, if you can locate a Tikka Boar Hunter that Cabelas was selling a few years ago that was a near perfect .338WM shorter rifle, with open sights, and great build quality for the same price.

Sobie2

How's the availability of factory ammo up there?

Quote Originally Posted by misportsman View Post
    How's the availability of factory ammo up there?
    .338 is really popular and should not be a problem even in more remote villages. .375 should be available in the bigger cites but not so much in the remote villages. The big shortage we were having is over as far as I can tell.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    .338 is really popular and should not be a problem even in more remote villages. .375 should be available in the bigger cites but not so much in the remote villages. The big shortage we were having is over as far as I can tell.
    Was there even a shortage in the big calibers? I pretty much assumed the shortage was only for the 22, 223, etc... type calibers?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

The shortage was for anything you "really" needed. For a while primers, powder and all sorts of stuff was scarce. I remember bringing back a case of 20 gauge #8 from Cabela's in Nebraska as well as .338, 5.56 and .410 for someone when I drove back one year (3,800 rounds). The Canadian border guard was only concerned if I had fruit or firewood.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

After readind what people who own them on here say about them and talking to a ruger rep I ran into locally I'm leaning towards the Hawkeye.

That is if ruger doesn't decide to quit making them again by tax time lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast