Thread: Is it legal to hunt Grouse with a silencer?

Have lived in Fairbanks, Anderson, Valdez and now Anchorage.

Default Is it legal to hunt Grouse with a silencer?

When out moose hunting we try to not make a lot of noise in camp because our actual hunting area is very close by. Around camp there are also a lot of Grouse. I'd like to take a few of them for dinner but haven't due to the noise of shooting them. Therefore, is it legal to shoot Grouse with a silenced .22? Yes, I know what I'll have to do to own a silencer.

Bill

Not sure. I've taken grouse with a pellet rifle
    -Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Not sure. I've taken grouse with a pellet rifle
    my fully suppressed Slingshot is silent. I have "High Capacity" pockets for ammo. No bayonet lug.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    my fully suppressed Slingshot is silent. I have "High Capacity" pockets for ammo. No bayonet lug.
    What about the 'shoulder thingy that goes up'
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I humped into the timber out Marathon road many years ago. A group of people had decided the middle of moose season was a good time to sight in all their moose guns at the gravel pit there. I got them to hold their fire long enough for us to get into the woods. A few hundred yards in I jumped a bedded bull. Whacked him. Had to get the platoon to hold off on the firing again so we could pack it out.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I humped into the timber out Marathon road many years ago. A group of people had decided the middle of moose season was a good time to sight in all their moose guns at the gravel pit there. I got them to hold their fire long enough for us to get into the woods. A few hundred yards in I jumped a bedded bull. Whacked him. Had to get the platoon to hold off on the firing again so we could pack it out.
    Yup....I remember watching a 40" bull with a couple cows while we were sighting in our guns at snowshoe. He didn't seem to mind at all. And yes op, a pellet gun or CB caps for the 22 will do the job....if you're that concerned about noise.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Have lived in Fairbanks, Anderson, Valdez and now Anchorage.

This is the OP.

Now that it's Monday morning I called ADF&G here in Anchorage to ask them. They said it's perfectly legal to shoot Grouse with a silenced/suppressed .22.

Bill

Default Low noise .22 Ammo

For whacking magpies, hares and an occasional spruce chicken around my house, I use these: CCI 22LR 40 GR Low Velocity / Low Noise, Lead Round Nose Ammo
    They are super quiet, enjoyable to shoot and, at close range, deadly for small game.
    I never bought them until the last big ammo scare, and they were all that was left over after the panickers and speculators moved through like locusts. Now I seek these .22 rounds out because they are covert, and my neighbors never even know I am shooting up into the trees (we have had a scourge of magpies this year!).

Quote Originally Posted by Trackrig View Post
    This is the OP.

Now that it's Monday morning I called ADF&G here in Anchorage to ask them. They said it's perfectly legal to shoot Grouse with a silenced/suppressed .22.

Bill
    Be interested in seeing a pic of the rig once you set it up
    -Tim

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    For whacking magpies, hares and an occasional spruce chicken around my house, I use these: CCI 22LR 40 GR Low Velocity / Low Noise, Lead Round Nose Ammo
    They are super quiet, enjoyable to shoot and, at close range, deadly for small game.
    I never bought them until the last big ammo scare, and they were all that was left over after the panickers and speculators moved through like locusts. Now I seek these .22 rounds out because they are covert, and my neighbors never even know I am shooting up into the trees (we have had a scourge of magpies this year!).
    +1 for the CCI Quites.
    You need to target practice with them first since they shoot a little lower than your typical rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    The old Remington Sub Sonics work pretty well too.

I used to use Gallery shorts for bull frogs. Don't know the correct term but they fragmented really easy. But that was back in the 70's.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I used to use Gallery shorts for bull frogs. Don't know the correct term but they fragmented really easy. But that was back in the 70's.
    Never heard the term "gallery shorts" before but we used to call those super low velocity/noise 22s "CB caps" back in the 70s. I wonder if we are referring to the same thing? Things weren't much louder than a pellet gun going off but hit a bit harder than one.....at least back in them days.

Remember the old shooting ranges at the carnivals and circus. I'm pretty sure it is the rounds they used. Broke apart on impact with almost anything. Frangible rounds are the words I was looking for.

Remember the old shooting ranges at the carnivals and circus.

Couldn't drag me away!
    I'm pretty sure it is the rounds they used. Broke apart on impact with almost anything. Frangible rounds are the words I was looking for.
    Naw….the CB caps where just real light 22s. Still pretty lethal on rabbits and such....

Here is what I was talking about.

Another alternative is to get a little recurve bow and some blunts or judo tips. It's pretty sporty, not to mention effective and silent, to shoot birds and other small game with a bow. I once shot a ground squirrel with my compound bow, and that was pretty impressive. Delicious too, by the way. Tastes like pork. -Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
    ….Delicious too, by the way. Tastes like pork. -Gr
    Ha! I ate a hoary marmot once and it too was good. Meaty little hinds on that thing!

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    And I thought I was the only one shooting a slingshot

I used to shoot an old wrist rocket sling shot. I could kill gray squirrils at 30-40 yards with marbles as ammo
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip? ALASKADIPNETTING.NET