Thread: September pinks/chum salmon

Default September pinks/chum salmon

Hi all,

I will be returning from the north slope Sept 1st, and was wondering if there would be any chum or pink salmon running at that time. I have never caught either species and would like to give it a try. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sturgeonman View Post
    Hi all,

I will be returning from the north slope Sept 1st, and was wondering if there would be any chum or pink salmon running at that time. I have never caught either species and would like to give it a try. Thanks!
    Yes, both chum and pink will be running at that time.
    “I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Hi all,

That's a little late for them, but run timing can vary a lot depending on where you are going.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hi all,

In my experience, chum and pink are the quickest to "go south" in terms of getting spawned out and nasty. I think you will struggle to find one that is not a foul beast at that time. Sure you don't want to target silvers? If it's catch-and-release you're after, trout fishing is at its peak in September. Just sayin. -Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Sorry, I don’t think I was very clear in my original post! I was also wondering where I might be able to hook into either species that late into the season. I am trying to catch 1000 species of fish and pinks and chums remain to be caught. I would normally wait until the fresh fish come in to take some home for food, but it seems like I will always be at the north slope when the fresh pinks and chums run (July-August). Thank you guys for the replies!

chums start early but run a long time. They will be available, though few fresh ones, throughout September in Parks Hwy. streams. Pinks will be rotten memories on the banks. Maybe Bird Creek will have a few, but they are mainly a mid July through mid August fish in the Valley. Not sure about Valdez.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    chums start early but run a long time. They will be available, though few fresh ones, throughout September in Parks Hwy. streams. Pinks will be rotten memories on the banks. Maybe Bird Creek will have a few, but they are mainly a mid July through mid August fish in the Valley. Not sure about Valdez.
    Valdez pinks in September are largely carcasses. There will be some live ones left early on, but not in the best shape and not really actively biting anything.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

If you are just looking to catch some fish you might try some of the northern Parks Highway streams. Troublesome creek would definitely have chums and you might find a few pinks and silvers. Byers creek may still have some pinks and a few reds and silvers too. Most fish will all be in full spawning color and not good eating quality. Bright colored flies or spinners work well. Lots of potential for bears at both of those spots so be safe. Valdez would still have pinks swimming around on Allison point but as mentioned most of them will be like zombies though I'm sure you could get a few to bite.