Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 weeks to Sheep 07!! - NO 3 DAYS!!

Thumbs up 2 weeks to Sheep 07!! - NO 3 DAYS!!

How many of us are headed out Sheep Hunting opening day of Sheep Season 2007?

Myself and one other from the forums here are headed out. Been planning since last fall.

I'm ready, been training and got my new spotter this year, a rangefinder after the long shot I misjudged last year, got him though. Got some Plastic Lowa Civetta boots and lightweight hippers after having sloshfoot for 4 days last year getting sheep out on our walkin hunt.

Good luck to all, be blessed with a safe, successfull hunt and have a great trip! Oh... and I hope you shoot one too, may your packs be light going in and HEAVY coming out!!

Perry
    Last edited by Snyd; 07-30-2007 at 17:25. Reason: time's getting short!!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Wink leaving the 7th but not on a jet plane

flying out the 7th. looking forward to the trip. taking my teenage son along so will put some rocks in his pack to slow him down. hope everyone has good weather and a great trip.
    sheep hunting has the best scenery of any hunting option in the state.

Default Sheep Countdown

Perry,

Put me down as a go!

I booked my hunt 2 years ago with my guide, and man time flies! I fly into Fairbanks on a red eye flight out of Seattle and land in Fairbanks Sunday the 7th at 1:30 AM. I hope to catch a nap before catching my shuttle at 8:30 am to Healy where I will meet my guide. From there, i take the bush flight into base camp. Good luck to you and the rest of you guys this year. Who knows, maybe I will run into one of you guys on the board.

Is it really only two weeks? I've been counting down the days but it still seems like it snuck up on me. One minute its excitment and anticipation, the next it's worrying if I'm inshape enough and have all the right gear. Oh well, it is what it is.

A buddy and I fly out on the 9th. I just bought a Barney's Hunter pack, which should about cap off my gear buying. Get my food and clothing lined out, hit the gun range, and keep training , that should take up all of my time until the 9th (that and snagging a few reds down here on the Kenai, they're a guaranteed freezer filler). Still trying to decide which boots to wear, the Scarpa Charmoz or the Danner Quarry? Decisions, decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by FALCON View Post
    Perry,

Put me down as a go!

I booked my hunt 2 years ago with my guide, and man time flies! I fly into Fairbanks on a red eye flight out of Seattle and land in Fairbanks Sunday the 7th at 1:30 AM. I hope to catch a nap before catching my shuttle at 8:30 am to Healy where I will meet my guide. From there, i take the bush flight into base camp. Good luck to you and the rest of you guys this year. Who knows, maybe I will run into one of you guys on the board.
    I think you got your days and date mixed up. Sunday the 5th or Tuesday the 7th? Depending on which day it is maybe we can get a cup of coffee and shake hands before you go. Where do you catch your shuttle bus from, the Airport?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Duuuu

Perry,

I am more then mixed up on the days!

I fly into the Fairbanks Airport at 1:40 am on Tuesday, the 7th. I will be picked up by the Alaska Yukan Trails Shuttle at 8:30 am. Let me know if you want an early breakfast or coffee.

I'm buying!

Default sheep countdown

I would be heading out on the 7th with my partner to the Brooks Range but had to change plans a few months back because of work. Plan B has me flying in on Aug 23rd to a different range. Good luck to everyone hunting the opener.

Quote Originally Posted by FALCON View Post
    Perry,

I am more then mixed up on the days!

I fly into the Fairbanks Airport at 1:40 am on Tuesday, the 7th. I will be picked up by the Alaska Yukan Trails Shuttle at 8:30 am. Let me know if you want an early breakfast or coffee.

I'm buying!
    I sent you pm.

Lightbulb

Time is getting short. How about a countdown of days for those guys who need some extra motivation to get out and train....

Default brooks range

I'm headed to the Brooks Range on the 13th. Can't wait!

Default Sheep Blues

Well, This will be the first sheep season I have missed in the last six years. Had an eastern Brooks Range trip booked for August 8 headed into an area that I had previously scouted and found good rams, but my hunting partner cut his hand badly with a chop saw a few weeks ago so I lost my partner. The air charter won't work with just one person and I couldn't find anyone else who could go on such short notice so I had to cancel this year. I'm not a happy camper. Still have moose and Kodiak deer this year, but I live for sheep! Good luck to those who are going.

Talking Opening day here also! TMA

I'm more excited then a kid on candy. Booked 40 mile to fly us into the coveted TMA, into Shindata valley. Months of research and we are almost there. Luckily, drew the tag on a party draw with my hunting buddy.

Can it get any better??? 25 years of trying and finally draw a sheep tag... or however long. Been doing it since the beginning of time.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Default Sheep Season '07

I'll be guiding the first part of the season, but I've got my eyes on this guy for my personal hunt in September. Hopefully he eludes any other hunters before I get there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fullcurl View Post
    I'll be guiding the first part of the season, but I've got my eyes on this guy for my personal hunt in September. Hopefully he eludes any other hunters before I get there.
    Nice! What scope/power and camera/zoom combo did you use to take that pic?

Default Thanks for the tip

Thanks for the tip "Fullcurl". I recognize those blades of grass, you better find another sheep.

Based on earlier discussions about gear (and Snyd's comments), on Friday I picked up a pair of Lowa Sheephunter GTX boots at AMH. Plus I picked up a Mountain Hardware tech-fleece/windstopper jacket and a pair of MH wind pants on clearance.

I fly out on Sept 12th for a solo trip in the part of 13D that goes to Drawing Permit next year.
    Since I'm hunting the end of the season I'm pretty sure (hoping) there will be a keeper or two that escapes....

good luck to you early season hunters.

Default Photoshop

Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post
    Thanks for the tip "Fullcurl". I recognize those blades of grass, you better find another sheep.
    He photoshopped the grass to throw you off, but I have traced the genetics of those horns and narrowed it down to a 1 square mile radius. Of course I had to use the calcultions based off the shadows, the color of the hide, and after enhancing the photo you can see a mutated mosquito that has only been found in one particular drainage. I'll sell the location to anybody interested:-)
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Steve, Who are you guiding for?

Talking Scope and camera used?

Fullkurl,
    Yes please tell us your scope and camera used on that sneak peak of the two rams. The GPS coordinates would be a bonus!

Default Scope and camera

It's a Leica 62 with a 16-48 lens zoomed to about 30 power. I just held my point and shoot digital up to the scope and got lucky with a few pics.

Good tries trying to figure out his location, but unless you're holding a Chugach Park permit the coords wouldn't do you any good anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast