Thread: Salmon color

Default Salmon color

When the salmon starts to change color are they still good to eat or will the meat be mushy and poor?
    I've seen some huge king that has changed color and people kept them..

Also.. pink and chum.. are they ok eating or not worth keeping? My guess is that whent he pink develope the hump, they are no longer good to eat?

What do you think?

It's all personal preference. I've had kings that were blushed and they tasted fine to me. I've had pinks that were caught in the salt and they were fine.

Some people won't eat any salmon, some will eat very ripe spawned salmon. Just make sure whatever you take home you eat.

Some people like to eat pinks and chums. I prefer the other fish but in a pinch a fresh chum or pink is ok. I think chum is better then pink.

Color can be decieving because some fish don't turn the bright red. But I wouldn't nesecerily discount a fish just because it has started to turn red.
    If you want to keep the fish keep it. If the meat is some what soft then make it into chowder or some people like to smoke it too.

Silvers can take on a bit of a blush and still be firm and of good texture.

Default Salmon texture

Color doesn't really matter. It is the firmness of the meat that counts. Some dark kings are still firm, while I have caught some in the Chena that you could touch your fingers together through the meat while still alive. Yuck.

Pinks are good if fresh from the sea. The way I like them is to filet them, cube the meat in 1 inch chunks, roll in a cajun flavored corn meal coating and deep fry it. Don't overcook it, and you have a treat on your hands. Chums are called Dog salmon for a reason, although a fresh one will smoke up o.k.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Personally I think pinks are way underused here in Alaska. A pink from salt is fine eating and in many other parts of the word they are considered the best eating of the salmonids. Myself I don't keep any salmon that has started to change into spawning colors, had one too many meals ruined by a fish whose flesh was firm but the taste was awful.

Disclaimer: I don't care much for salmon period so I only go after the best quality fish for the table.

Default some peope say

that a spawned out colored up salmon will smoke up just fine

I say a spawned out colored up salmon smoked is still a spawned out colored up salmon

you wont find any of those on my table

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    that a spawned out colored up salmon will smoke up just fine

I say a spawned out colored up salmon smoked is still a spawned out colored up salmon

you wont find any of those on my table
    Amen!

If it ain't chrome, it don't go home!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Okay for the smoker?

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Amen!

If it ain't chrome, it don't go home!
    I concur with Doc. You can smoke a rubber boot, but that doesn't mean it will be good. Start with a prime, chrome-bright fish and you'll have a high-quality product.

Smile When to eat and when not to eat. . .

Junk in, junk out where smoking fish is concerned.

Personally, I think any fish caught in salt water tastes incredibly better than fish caught even a few miles upstream. Pinks, reds, kings, silvers, and chums caught in salt water are all good, but fish caught in fresh water go in the smoker if they're kept at all.

Can some pinks caught in the salt, and you'll never throw another one back.

Good eating. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Charholio View Post
    Start with a prime, chrome-bright fish and you'll have a high-quality product.
    Even the lowly pink (the most underutilized unappreciated fish in Alaska) are great eating.... as long as they look like this:

No olive bars/blotches? Into the fishbox they go!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD