Thread: Crab ID and shrimp killer guess?

Default Crab ID and shrimp killer guess?

This is the first trip where I've systematically put effort into catching both crabs and shrimp. Had a few missteps, but thankfully didn't lose any gear nor had an accident.

We caught nice dungeness crabs, and once in awhile, a couple of these red ones would be in the pots. Anyone know what they are? If I were in Southern California, I'd call them 'rock crabs'.

20190724_145044.jpg20190724_145030.jpg

Took a few tries to get the hang of shrimping - so very different than how I catch them in Texas! My fourth day, I set a pot in 400 ft & came up with a decent haul. The next day, the weather got rough, so I didn't retrieve the pot (I was only using 1), so it soaked for about 24 hours. When I got it the next morning, about half the shrimp had been torn up & eaten. I'm guessing the culprit was an octopus, but am open to ideas from more experienced members.

Anyways, was quite pleased with the results, and will include shrimping in most of my future trips up there.

20190724_104650.jpg

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek View Post
    Took a few tries to get the hang of shrimping - so very different than how I catch them in Texas! My fourth day, I set a pot in 400 ft & came up with a decent haul. The next day, the weather got rough, so I didn't retrieve the pot (I was only using 1), so it soaked for about 24 hours. When I got it the next morning, about half the shrimp had been torn up & eaten. I'm guessing the culprit was an octopus, but am open to ideas from more experienced members.

Anyways, was quite pleased with the results, and will include shrimping in most of my future trips up there.

20190724_104650.jpg
    Yep, most likely an octopus.