Thread: Generator to Cabin

Default Generator to Cabin

So plan on wiring my cabin to accept direct or solar power in the future. In the meantime however I would like to wire the breaker box to run solely on my Honda 2200 generator. When it comes to the electrical end of business I am definitely a novice. How does one wire directly into the breaker panel with the generator?? Also...where is the best place in the state to shop around for cabin solar packages?

Thanks in advance!

Are you on or off the grid?
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"
    2018 12' Moto Jet "River Pup"

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    Are you on or off the grid?
    I am "near" the grid but 5k is not really in the budget right now to get the cable and meter to the cabin.

If you don't know how to wire an electric panel don't try it. If you have a buddy that is an electrician or understands electricity buy him a case of beer and have a BBQ and let him teach/show you, when you get done you celebrate by drinking the beer. Or hire an electrician. If you don't know what you are doing a couple things can happen in the best case you get it right, more likely you get yourself or somebody else hurt, most likely you destroy some valuable electronics, not as likely but very possible you get dead.
    “I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” Physicist ― Richard Feynman

We went with a transfer switch that has female plugs to allow standard cords from 20 amp or 30 amp generators or needs. It is wired in as the only source right now (being off grid). I wanted to do all the electrical myself but since we are having blown in urethane insulation (roof, walls, floor), I needed to make no mistakes, so had an electrician come out. We will have generator and batteries (possibly a solar panel just to charge batteries). I watched quite a few videos on you-tube and printed off information. After watching the electrician I know I could do it now- but it is comforting knowing it was done correctly and safely. I spoke with Alaska Renewable Energy off Dimond in Anchorage about solar- very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    We went with a transfer switch that has female plugs to allow standard cords from 20 amp or 30 amp generators or needs. It is wired in as the only source right now (being off grid). I wanted to do all the electrical myself but since we are having blown in urethane insulation (roof, walls, floor), I needed to make no mistakes, so had an electrician come out. We will have generator and batteries (possibly a solar panel just to charge batteries). I watched quite a few videos on you-tube and printed off information. After watching the electrician I know I could do it now- but it is comforting knowing it was done correctly and safely. I spoke with Alaska Renewable Energy off Dimond in Anchorage about solar- very helpful.
    You sounds like you have already been down the exact road I am trying to travel. Sent you a PM.

I bought my solar system, battery bank and back up generator from Susitna Energy. I had compared with 907 solar, as well as REA. What it boiled down to me was service. Casey is their main counter person. Great guy, customer service with a smile and brute honesty. The owner and Casey installed it for me in a day as well. IÂ’m off the road system. Fair price and always ready to help. Bought other stuff with the system and received a nice discount. They have my back and I have theirs. Great company!!!