Thread: Complying with Possession Limit

Default Complying with Possession Limit

Does anyone have any advice on how to comply with the possession limit during an overnight trip to the kenai? I'd like to harvest a limit each day, but I can't think of a clear, easy way to satisfy the possession requirement. The two options I can think of are (1) find a campground with a freezer and store fillets from the first day there (to be vacuum packed when I get home the second day, or (2) find a local fish processor as soon as possible and have them flash freeze and vacuum seal the first day's catch. Any other thoughts?

Flash freezing is about the only legal way to go as the fish are still part of your daily possession limit until they are frozen HARD not just "in the freezer". I think the possession determination is when the fish is preserved so it can be left out for 72 hours without it spoiling. Some folks have tried to get by the regulation by saying that they had preserved the fish with salt. They still got citations as it takes several days of salting and drying before they are considered preserved. At least this is the way I understand it. I have seen several citations given out at the Russian this year and last for over possession. I actually drive all my fish back to Anchorage after the family limits, then drive all the way back to fish the next day. It's a pain, but there is no question about it being legal...

Default Fish Service

There is a place by cooper landing that will freeze your fish for you overnight, I'm sure there are places in Soldotna. You can pick it all up when you are done.
    Also, you could bring a smoker, that will work too legally.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

How about canning them in the evening. That way you won't have to drive home to freeze the fish, and when you get back from the trip most of the fish will be taken care of.

Devour them the day of catch

If you are on a two day trip only, you shouldn't have a problem. The limits typically read so you can have two days limits "in possession". If you make it to that third day, you will have to freeze or can the fish to satisfy the requirements. The fish isn't out of "possession" until it can be safely consumed after 15 days in its processed state.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Could you use an rv freezer? What if you hauled a small freezer down parked in an RV slot plugged it in and froze your fish over night?

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    The fish isn't out of "possession" until it can be safely consumed after 15 days in its processed state.
    That's exactly what I was told by ADF&G. Practically word for word. Try the dipnetting! That is an experience! And a bunch more fish; if you survive! I have never been a people person. So the Kenai is a little too much for me.
    Good Luck.

If you are on a two day trip only, you shouldn't have a problem. The limits typically read so you can have two days limits "in possession". If you make it to that third day, you will have to freeze or can the fish to satisfy the requirements. The fish isn't out of "possession" until it can be safely consumed after 15 days in its processed state.
    Really? I thought normally on the kenai peninsula it's 3 per day/3 in possession, and right now on the kenai and kasilof it's 6 per day/6 in possession. Am I wrong?

You are right, I just checked the EO for the Kenai and it is 6/6.... The Kasilof on the other hand is 6/12. I wish they would standardize the regs!!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

This is incorrect. If you have 12 fish in your possession down on the Kenai River and they aren't frozen solid, you are in violation of the possession limit which is currently 6 fish. Keep in mind the Russian River area is still 3/3. Either can them or take them to a processor.

You are exactly correct. It is usually 3 per day/3 in possession. With the emergency order it is currently 6 per day/6 in possession. The freezing overnight would work fine IF the fish completly froze overnight. It usually does not freeze completly overnight from my experience. At least not in most RV (propane) freezers.

How late are the local fish processors usually open?

Another confusing question. Can I harvest 3 from the Russian and then 3 from the lower Kenai? 0 from the lower Kenai? 6 from the lower Kenai?

The Kasilof on the other hand is 6/12. I wish they would standardize the regs!!
    The reason the Kenai is not 6/12 is because the bag and possession limits for Kenai River sockeye are set out in the Kenai River Late-Run Sockeye Salmon Management Plan. As such they cannot be modified by emergency order. The plan specifies that:

(h) Subject to the requirement of achieving the lower end of the optimal escapement goal, the department shall manage the sport fishery on the Kenai River, except that portion of the Kenai River from its confluence with the Russian River to an ADF&G regulatory marker located 1,800 yards downstream, as follows:

(1) fishing will occur seven days per week, 24 hours per day; and

(2) the bag and possession limit for the sport fishery is three sockeye salmon, unless the department determines that the abundance of late-run sockeye exceeds 2,000,000 salmon, at which time the commissioner may, by emergency order, increase the bag and possession limit to six sockeye salmon.

There are several proposals that will be taken up at the Feb. BOF meeting that asks for eo authority to up the possession limit to 12. They are proposal numbers 207 & 208.

You can take three from the Russian and then three from the Kenai, but don't try it the other way around. Do not fish the Russian/Kenai Fly-Fishing-Waters-Only area with more than 3 fish in possession.

Quote Originally Posted by chvynva916 View Post
    Does anyone have any advice on how to comply with the possession limit during an overnight trip to the kenai?
    YUP! Catch and keep a total of six reds to take home on your second day. You will be in total compliance!

As usual akkona is 100% correct!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default freezer on kenai

Used to have Gwennie's freeze ours and it costed pennies.