Thread: 2013 Big Boss Fuel Pump

Default 2013 Big Boss Fuel Pump

Hey everybody. I have a 2013 Polaris Big Boss 800. When it gets hot, the RPMs will drop and it will stall out if I donít pump the throttle. I had it in to the dealer and they couldnít reproduce the problem. It seems like it happens when the fuel in the tank gets really hot, it will bubble like it is boiling. Recently while experiencing the symptoms, I topped off the tank and they went away, until the fuel got hot again. I have read about similar problems with the 800 engine and the consensus is the fuel pump is bad. Has anybody else had this problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you put insulation between the hot thingy and the thingy you don't want hot? Or make a heat shield. I have heard of the problem on boats before and having hot fuel going into the carb is not desirable and can lead to vapor lock.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

That is the plan. I have to remove the fuel tank to do so and figured it would be a good time to change the pump, if needed. The fuel has boiled when hot from the day I drove it off the showroom floor. At about 900 miles the symptoms I described started.

Quote Originally Posted by akrider View Post
    That is the plan. I have to remove the fuel tank to do so and figured it would be a good time to change the pump, if needed. The fuel has boiled when hot from the day I drove it off the showroom floor. At about 900 miles the symptoms I described started.

Are you sure it is boiling or just air bubbles? Have you taken the temperature of the gas in the tank? I just fueled my Honda up and I have air bubbles too. 54 degrees and cold gas.

I guess it could be air. If so, itís a lot of air. I have not taken the temp. The tank gets pretty hot.

Hey everybody. I have a 2013 Polaris Big Boss 800. When it gets hot, the RPMs will drop and it will stall out if I donít pump the throttle. I had it in to the dealer and they couldnít reproduce the problem. It seems like it happens when the fuel in the tank gets really hot, it will bubble like it is boiling. Recently while experiencing the symptoms, I topped off the tank and they went away, until the fuel got hot again. I have read about similar problems with the 800 engine and the consensus is the fuel pump is bad. Has anybody else had this problem?

My 2012 800 would boil gas. I pulled and replaced the pump to no avail. The best remedy was to cover the pipe with automotive exhaust pipe insulated wrap. My 570 has not had the issue.

Did your machine lose power when the fuel got hot?

What shop did you take too? ER Polaris is not so good in my book.
    -Tim

I bet this nasty weather has been contributing to the problem
    -Tim

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I wonít say what shop I took it to before, but is wasnít in Eagle River. And I donít blame them. I did replace the pump, regulator, and screen myself, all for about $90.00 from Quantum. Polaris wanted over $400.00 just for parts. I also added a lot more heat tape to the tank and I wrapped part of the exhaust pipe. I went on a 25 mile ride last Saturday. It ran great. The fuel still seemed to boil, but the pump worked well. My fuel gauge doesnít work now, but I bet I didnít put the float in the tank exactly right.

If it looks like it is boiling, stick a thermometer or your finger in there and see if it is really hot. Remove finger quickly if it is hot. Like I said before, my Honda always looks like it is boiling even when just started.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I wonít say what shop I took it to before, but is wasnít in Eagle River. And I donít blame them. I did replace the pump, regulator, and screen myself, all for about $90.00 from Quantum. Polaris wanted over $400.00 just for parts. I also added a lot more heat tape to the tank and I wrapped part of the exhaust pipe. I went on a 25 mile ride last Saturday. It ran great. The fuel still seemed to boil, but the pump worked well. My fuel gauge doesnít work now, but I bet I didnít put the float in the tank exactly right.

Good to hear. Yes, Polaris wants ridiculous money for their parts. I had a TPS go bad on my RZR. New from Polaris: $220. New from ebay: $18. It's just a rheostat and probably made at the same place in China.
    -Tim

Make sure to check your tank vent, if its clogged you could be pulling a vacuum on your tank and causing your fuel to boil at a lower temperature and making the problem worse