Thread: Kenai dipnetting location

Default Kenai dipnetting location

I am wondering where people generally dipnet on the Kenai. Years ago I think I launched at the city ramp (? near the ocean) and ran upstream a few miles; drifted along a muddy bank somewhere and slayed 'em. Is there a preferred area, like near the mouth, or just "where the fish are"? Thanks. j

Quote Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
    I am wondering where people generally dipnet on the Kenai. Years ago I think I launched at the city ramp (? near the ocean) and ran upstream a few miles; drifted along a muddy bank somewhere and slayed 'em. Is there a preferred area, like near the mouth, or just "where the fish are"? Thanks. j
    There is a strict area from the mouth upstream to the Warren Ames Bridge. Boats are allowed in a set area and even that area is delineated by horsepower/boat length. It's all pretty well mapped out on the fish and game website and in the regs, but the ONLY area you can dipnet in is the last mile or so of the river, and the whole section is effected by tides.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

coho: thanks. i saw the various areas in the regs, shore/boat, hp restrictions, etc, but was wondering if people tend to stay at the mouth, or wonder up. it seems to me that we went upstream a few miles long ago, but.... memories fade, and regs change. i will check the maps again in more detail. cheers. j

coho: i checked the regs map again, and it sure looks like i can dip up to about RM 5. "...but the ONLY area you can dipnet in is the last mile or so of the river..." unless i am confused, i think you forgot a "not" in here. from the doc down is red, closed to dipping. cheers. j

Quote Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
    coho: i checked the regs map again, and it sure looks like i can dip up to about RM 5. "...but the ONLY area you can dipnet in is the last mile or so of the river..." unless i am confused, i think you forgot a "not" in here. from the doc down is red, closed to dipping. cheers. j
    The area on the regs map marked RM2 (green w stripes) is where all of the boat dipping happens and the boat conga line goes downstream to roughly boat launch and back upstream. There are no motor hp restrictions in that area.

Boat dipping in the Kenai is pretty mellow, courteous, and fun... at HIGH tide. At low tide, you take 10 gallons of boats and squeeze them into a 2 gallon hat. For the most part, you can see where other folks are doing well and just get in line with them. Between the city boat launch and the first sharp bend in the river upstream, there is a large sand bar extending out from the north shore - watch out for it. You will see seagulls starting to wade in the middle of the river just before it goes dry.

As tide gets lower, the furthest down-stream stretch of dipping gets really congested and chaotic. The faster flow of the river from the draining tide coupled with the competing wakes of all of the boats motoring upstream turns that whole section into a treacherous wave pool. That's where angry moods and even collisions start to become more probable. There is no shame in going further upstream at this point and avoiding this whole situation. The fishing may not be quite as good, but there are still fish to be had further up and away from the melee.

Couple more notes: some boats have trouble getting in and out of the city dock at low tide, particularly at a super low "spring" tide. Plan ahead. The worst hazards for your boat are probably located in the stretch upstream of the canneries on the same side of the river. There are some huge boulders that are concealed at high tide, easy to see at low tide, but capable of ruining your weekend somewhere in between. One of the largest boulders is completely out of the water on the bank even at high tide, and it's really the only such rock along the bank, so use it to mark the general area and give a wide berth as the tide is dropping. I wouldn't be surprised if those guys have claimed a lower unit or two in their day...

That's about all I know, other than keep the nets in the water. -Gr
    My signature is awesome.

got back this a.m. never again. i'd rather stay home and buy my fish than deal with the mayhem. it is absolutely swamped with boats; constant wakes ("washing machine" is appropriate), constant boats in/out of your way, dipnets almost touching. all went well, and i am glad i accepted the invitation with a friend as we got plenty of fish, but i won't be going back. not a crabby person to be found, thankfully, but like philadelphia at QT. two days ago the river was full of reds, if you are interested. as i fished for kings, a couple guys on the bank (must have been private land, because there was actually more than 6" between people) were hauling in fish left and right, without regard, apparently, for limits, if there were any.