Thread: Air Charter Fees

Default Air Charter Fees

This seems like a dumb question (to me) but I cannot find an answer anywhere. If an outfitter quotes you, say $800/hr for a fly in hunt, and the flight time to the drop off is 1hr, is that going to be charged for 2 hours, or just the one hour you are actually in the plane? Same for like a meat load coming out of the field. I've always just used flat fees per person for fly in hunts.

When an hourly rate is quoted it includes: loading time at departure point; flight time to drop off (including any "scouting" you may want to do on the way); unload time at drop off; pilot's flight time back to departure point. The pilot and plane are basically "on the clock" from when you show up until they return.

My experience is that I pay for the hours the plane is in the air. So a 1 hr flight to the drop off will be a minimum 4 hrs for: Drop off (1hr) Return for pilot (1hr) Flight to pick up for pilot (1hr) Return flight for hunter (1hr). If you have a need for a meat flight that would be another 2hrs per load.

In my experience you're charged for the hour out and the pilots hour back to the starting point of your flight. Assuming it's an hour out you're probably looking at a $2400 to get you out and then back at the end of your hunt just for flying time. If you kill something and it requires extra trips I'm not sure you'd have to pay full flight price, (I have not) but it has always been an extra charge depending on the air taxi I was using.

Props turning your paying.

Another unknown...say the pilot tries to fly you out and can’t drop you off because of weather....now who pays? Most air taxis I fly with do not charge for that flight, IF, they are the ones that said let’s fly. If I said let’s fly and they cautioned me against it then it’s on my dime. I have however flown with pilots who said let’s go and we couldn’t land and I was charged for it. Had I know this I may have had them land elsewhere to avoid doubling my drop in costs.
    Ask up front, weather delays, back hauls of other hunters ( they will charge you for a round trip flight but fill that plane coming back with another group and charge both groups full price). Make sure you understand costs associated because planes aren’t cheap. Accessing Alaska isn’t cheap and a “ohhhhh didn’t know that” can cost you thousands.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Alaska licensed transporters are required to have a signed contract with the client regarding these issues, they can also charge a flat rate instead of hourly. Licensed transporters are the only ones who can advertise drop off hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnycake View Post
    My experience is that I pay for the hours the plane is in the air. So a 1 hr flight to the drop off will be a minimum 4 hrs for: Drop off (1hr) Return for pilot (1hr) Flight to pick up for pilot (1hr) Return flight for hunter (1hr). If you have a need for a meat flight that would be another 2hrs per load.
    That's been my experience as well, although the last few years it seems like everyone I've been using for fly-in services, is just charging a flat rate. Two years ago we paid a flat rate of $1200 for a beaver load (not anywhere near fully loaded beaver), on a Kodiak goat hunt and actual flight time for all 4 trips was a total of 1 hour.

Quote Originally Posted by a2thak View Post
    This seems like a dumb question (to me) but I cannot find an answer anywhere. If an outfitter quotes you, say $800/hr for a fly in hunt, and the flight time to the drop off is 1hr, is that going to be charged for 2 hours, or just the one hour you are actually in the plane? Same for like a meat load coming out of the field. I've always just used flat fees per person for fly in hunts.

As another poster said, one hour fly out is always multiplied by 4. Be aware of the weight limits. If the guy has to make two trips to take your meat out it is more money.
    Be very agreeable, humble and nice to your pilot. He/she has the power of life and death over you...literally....remember, most of these guys are odd ducks with personality quirks...there are exceptions, of course.....

The trend over the past 5-10 years has been away from the hourly fee to a per head fee. I use one pilot for our flights for Dollie, he is hourly and $800 an hour is a good price for a 185 or a 206. The other flight service we use for our hunters is a per head price and it works out to be a bit higher except when you start looking at meat runs. The meat runs can add a bunch to a per hour service but the per head guys include that in the price quoted. The per head services are charging between 2,800-3,500 per head for caribou and $4,000 up per head on moose hunts. It is what it is.

Rule of thumb is don't shop for the cheapest pilot , choose one whit a good reputation and spotless safety record! Lots of bandits out there!
    Attached Images Attached Images