Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So which 357 lever gun and why?

Default So which 357 lever gun and why?

I am wanting another 357 lever gun but am hung up between the Rossi 92 and a new Marlin 1894. I will leave it with the iron sights only....most likely a rear peep sight. My grandson's are coming of age one right after the other and since i gave the first one his first deer rifle I have had to follow suite with the rest. That is my excuse anyway. Which of these two will handle warm deer loads the best?

The 92 is a very compact rifle especially with 16Ē barrel. In handgun calibers those short barrels give up little, if any, velocity. My current Rossi 92 in 44 Magnum, and a previous one in 454, are both very good shooters though you would want to get rid of the silly extra safety device. The 44 was worked over with a Williams receiver sight, and slightly softened stainless finish, plus the usual trigger work. That rifle is shooting very respectable groups and the trigger work improved an already decent rifle. The little things come up and point quick like a good upland 20 gauge.. For me that is the best part. The Rossi in trapper length is very very compact. The 357 Rossi should be a great deer rifle within the limits of its range. As to high pressures the 86 and the 92 Winchester were a cut above previous models strength wise. Rossi 92ís run 454 pressures and mine gobbled up hot Buffalo Bores and such easy. The 44 and 454 Rossi will not always feed overlength cases though the various 300 grain factory loads feed fine. There is also a modification regarding the feed tube on the big bore rifles that had to do with function under recoil. I never had that issue though my latest 92 was modified. Quality control was good on the rifles in 2007. I havenít seen any new ones.

Iíve got a R92 in 16Ē stainless. Very good base to start with but they need some work. Strong action that will withstand more pressure than the Marlin due to the twin locking lugs say the experts. The Steveís Gunz DVD is great, in fact a must have in my opinion. Disassembly with often yield a horrific reaction when all the hurried broaching results are put in full view. Usually dump out a good amount of left over cuttings. Also needs his updated ejector spring and metal magazine follower. His peep site is a good upgrade too and replaces the Hillary safety. Mine feeds everything including .38ís with SWCís without issue. Not all do. My .45 Colt version which wears the Puma stamp (same thing) took some machine work to the receiver to get it to feed right with WLNGCís.

I really like them both but if I didnít have a little bit of willingness to work on them Iíd be very disappointed.

No concerns about deer loads in either. But I lean toward the Marlin specifically for the choice of peep sights for it. I just prefer a side mounted model on the receiver to one on the tang.

Dunno the Rossi from a rotweiler, but if it's not already drilled and tapped for a receiver-mounted peep, you'll be playing with the tang- Not something I'd feel completely comfortable with for passing on to kids for some reason. Maybe it's after watching my wife and daughters fuzzle and fuss with the several rifles around here with tang sights including an original 92.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

I got the Henry Color Case Hardened with the 20" octagonal barrel and couldn't be happier. It is a bit heavier than the round barrel so that might be a consideration. I don't have the most experience with lever guns but the quality of the action on the Henry was better than anything I've ever felt. I compared it to the Winchesters, Marlins, and one Rossi but none of them felt near as smooth or on par. It comes with Buckhorn sights but I'm pretty sure they can be changed out. I love it so much that I fully intend on getting the same gun in a .44 mag, and possibly a 45-70 as well. I also love the fact that Henry is 100% American made and owned.

Skinner sights makes a peep that will not go on the tang and the ones I have on 45-70's are great.
    http://www.skinnersights.com/rossi_firearms_23.html

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

That Puma 357 you guv/sold me, had sight elevation for 38 Spec. I never could get the elevation for 357, even I put on Skinner peep, that was mounted forward on the barrel in place of the reg arn sights. It needed a Receiver Sight, but the receiver looked smaller than mdl 94, and I was thinking large sight might be bulky. ?????

Like BB says, Marlin might have better/more sight options.

I didn't mind thet lil safety on the top. I jist left it off. It might come in handy, teaching kids. ????

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Steves guns makes a peep that replaces the safety on the Pumas but being cheap, I made my own which works very well. My Puma in 454 is fairly smooth from the factory so I have never disassembled it and it feeds my cast boolits well.

upstreamV:
    How many rounds does the compact rifle with 16Ē barrel hold?
    SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

EKC:
    I could be wrong, and I might even admit it.

I've always thunk, the Marlin was heavier, more expensive, and less available, than the Rossi. Reportedly, thar war some quality control issues when Rem acquired Marlin.

How bout a Ruger. 77 357 BA?

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty of the North, Rossi claims 8+1 with a 16Ē barrel. By habit I avoid loading that 8th round. You are right to question the space available to mount a receiver sight for at 4.8 pounds itís a tiny carbine. In my opinion the Williams receiver sight does fit the available space. I am outside or would photo the instillation.

Quote Originally Posted by upstreamV View Post
    Smitty of the North, Rossi claims 8+1 with a 16Ē barrel. By habit I avoid loading that 8th round. You are right to question the space available to mount a receiver sight for at 4.8 pounds itís a tiny carbine. In my opinion the Williams receiver sight does fit the available space. I am outside or would photo the instillation.
    Thanks. That sounds pretty good.

I don't load my thutty-thutty magazines to the max.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Browning B-92. Quality. Slick. Yes, they are expensive. Quality usually is. You can always buy cheap stuff, but often you'll buy it twice, because it won't work well, or it will suck in some other way.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Browning B-92. Quality. Slick.
    If I was to go with the 92 frame, that would certainly be my pick. Passed on the 44 and 357 back in the day, hoping they'd bring out a 25-20. No dice, so since then I've been shooting a Marlin 1894 in 25-20. Couldn't be happier.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    If I was to go with the 92 frame, that would certainly be my pick. Passed on the 44 and 357 back in the day, hoping they'd bring out a 25-20. No dice, so since then I've been shooting a Marlin 1894 in 25-20. Couldn't be happier.
    25-20 be Mighty Fine, fore shore. My pick would be 38-40.

No good reason. I just like the cartridge.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

What about the new Winchesters? Anyone look into the cost and quality of those? It appears they make a M92 in 357, but I didn't see a 38-40 or 32-20 listed.
    Louis Knapp

I can only guess, but my guess is positive. I say that because a few years back they did a run of 94's in 25-35 and I picked one up. Superb craftsmanship and more accurate than any 94 I've shot over the years. I'd happily pick up one of their 92's in 25-20 if they ever got around to it. One of the finest small game rounds ever developed. I basically quit shooting 22 rimfire when my 25-20 Marlin came through the door, and I'm doing my best to wear out that 25-35 from Winchester. Seems only fair and fitting to try wearing out a Winchester in 25-20!
    Merle Haggard

I have an old Win 92 in 25/20 and it is my favorite small critter rifle. I shoot a 73gr cast at 1950fps or the same boolit at about 1100fps for a 22lr replacement. I'm still looking for a Rossi in 357 at a price I'm willing to pay. I have one Marlin in 44mag and it's stiffer than my two Win 92s or my Puma 454 and so far I have not been able to get it to shoot worth a hoot even with jacketed bullets. From my limited experience with Marlin, my choice would be Rossi.

My grandson and I wandered out to Brownells Friday afternoon because it was the only thing fit to do with the mercury at 97 degrees and humidity at 80%. Someone had just traded in a like new Rossi 92 in 45 Colt. The sticker on it read $420 and the sales man said to you it's $390. Which really meant that it was $390 to anyone smart enough to dicker a bit and he already knew that I would so he saved us both some time and wasted words.

I snatched it up at that price and told my grandson to keep a tight lip and let me break the news to grandma. As soon as we walked through the door he yelled, "Grandma, PaPa bought a new gun." The little turd! I don't care if she knows and she doesn't usually say anything but the little fart made it sound like I was trying to get away with something and that turns on grandma's radar! Some days she doesn't need anyone screwing with her radar and that happened to be one of those days. We've had at least three grandkids at our house for a week and a half now and not the same ones as they come and they go at will. Me and my devious ways....I bought a gun without permission......kinda like she bought 4 big fancy rugs, 1 for each season of the year. They go under the big oak table in the dinning room and she never said boo to the bread winner before she had the big truck drag those rugs to my house. I coulda bought a lot of guns for what those danged rugs costs. Ok rant over! We all went fishing after supper even though it was still 95 stinking degrees. We caught a nice mess of blue gill and crappie and then got in the water ourselves and swam with the ones that we didn't catch.

That night when I lay my head on my pillow everyone in the house was happy as a lark and I had yet another gun. Alls well that ends well!

I think you will be tickled pink with the Rossi in 45 Colt. A 45 Colt load will drop deer like an anvil and it can be pushed way beyond what is pleasant to shoot. And, $390 is a very nice price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast