Thread: When you know it is OVER!

Default When you know it is OVER!

It was coming. I knew it. I felt it. About five years ago, while sheep hunting solo, I realized I did not have the endurance and energy necessary to climb up and down mountains. The moment of truth came one late afternoon, when sitting exhausted, I got a glimpse of two legal rams laying on a knoll on a hard to reach mountain. My mind wanted me to "GO" but, my body said "no go." I sat and watched them until dusk. The next day, I packed up and left. My sheep hunting days were OVER.

There will be a time when one realizes one can't do IT any more. My message to the young guys out there is: Do it while you can (carpe diem) because there will be a time when you KNOW it is over.

Have any of you stopped any type of hunting because you KNOW you can't do it anymore?

About 3 years ago I had my third back operation. The doctor said that if I have any more problems that he would have to fuze it back together. That, probably ended all goat and sheep hunting any more for me. But there are still deer, moose, bears and lots of small game to be had.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

There are lots of things that I cant do like when I was a flat-belly, and that list continues to grow. Doesn't mean I cant do them anymore (yet), just means I do them just a little slower or a little differently. Iíve learned to adjust my expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    when I was a flat-belly,
    I'm still flat-bellied. You just have to see me laying down to realize it.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

I'm 66 and going goat hunting again this year. Very slowly. I have hunted goats 5 of the past 6 years. Had a permit last year and had schedule conflicts and couldn't go.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I am turning 51 in a week, just had gall bladder removed and had reconstructive hip surgery earlier this year. I'm taking my 13 year old sheep hunting in mid August in the TMA. Will still get it done, just going to be much much slower pace.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Buddy drew a good sheep tag for this fall. He has agreed to host me, in spite of my warnings to him that I haven't chased sheep or goats for many years. Regardless, we will get it done.
    I will say, we used to get it done in a few less days!

Both of our ages added together is less than 100 years, so ambition is still there, but the steady pace wins the day.
    I do think that the day is on the near horizon when I will turn my back on doing great things the hard way.

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

Last year, at age 69, I went on a 10 day horseback hunt for grizzly and mountain caribou. I was successful in getting 2 fine trophies. Did a lot of riding and a lot of hiking BUT this hunt was no where near as hard as a goat or sheep hunt. I did those hunts a few years back and I could not possibly do them today. Time marches on !!!!!!

Understand well!!! The mind says 'your still 30 and can do this', but the body says 'oh no you can't'!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I'm still flat-bellied. You just have to see me laying down to realize it.
    Isn't a "flat belly" a stove?
    -Tim

Although I haven't hunted sheep in many years, I did climb up the mountain goat hunting a few years back. And after resding about the 76 year old that checked off one on his bucket list, which was killing a ram, I think I'll leave my options open for awhile yet. At 63 now I'm not in real good shape but not in real bad shape either. I'm pretty sure if I put my mind to it, which is a HUGE part of mountain hunting, I'm sure I could pull off another sheep hunt. Weather that opportunity comes around again is yet to be seen....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Although I haven't hunted sheep in many years, I did climb up the mountain goat hunting a few years back. And after resding about the 76 year old that checked off one on his bucket list, which was killing a ram, I think I'll leave my options open for awhile yet. At 63 now I'm not in real good shape but not in real bad shape either. I'm pretty sure if I put my mind to it, which is a HUGE part of mountain hunting, I'm sure I could pull off another sheep hunt. Weather that opportunity comes around again is yet to be seen....
    Make it happen captín! Harvest ticket in your area........ easy peasie said no one ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except for sheep hunting which I gather from you guy is extremely tough, hunting usually need not end, just change. I was asking myself the very same question when I was deer hunting, as to how long can I do this and as I came around the corner on a usable 4x4 road, here sat a fella who looked to be in his 90s, sitting about 20 feet from his truck, overlooking a field that he only had a <1% chance of seeing a deer and as I passed him he gave me a smile and a nod a if to say he was enjoying the hunt. It made my day. So now I am looking for plans for a motorized wheelchair, with tracks and a built in winch and a heater would be nice and I figure I am good to go at 100.

What a good Post! About 4-5 years back I was just starting a walk in hunt with a buddy . An older man who was 50 something, was coming down the trail. It wasn¬ít until we got close I could see the agony he was in. He looked defeated ...We sat and talked for 10-15 and he told me how he had pulled a number of rams from this range . I asked him how his hunt went this year and if he got a chance to put a stalk on any nice ram/rams. His face went from physically pain to a sense of complete sadness when he replied, ¬ď I just can¬ít do it anymore , I want to but I can¬ít. this was my last sheep hunt .¬Ē I really hope he got home and regrouped and got out again as all of us with the mountain bug know there is nothing like sitting on a mountain glassing sheep with a good friend . My wife gets frustersted every year that I take my 2 weeks off and go sheep hunting and bring back 40 pounds of meat( if my buddy and I are lucky enough to connect) instead of moose or caribou and filling the freezer . I always bring this fact to my wife that if I¬ím really lucky I may get to go on 10-20 more sheep hunts before I physically can¬ít do it . It makes me sad just thinking about ...