Thread: Trailer for 19' Grunman Freighter Canoe?

Default Trailer for 19' Grunman Freighter Canoe?

I've been transporting this aluminum freighter on the roof rack of my old Chevy pickup but I'd really like to find a trailer for it so I can just back it into the water and skip my Incredible Hulk impersonation loading and unloading it. Now that I have a Tundra I'm not so keen on putting it on the roof. Have it setup with outriggers and a lift and it's great on everything except Lake Louise when the wind kicks up. Anybody know where I can track down a trailer for it?

Thanks in advance. Willy

Maybe look for a single place jet ski trailer and extend the tongue.

a trailer for a canoe with out riggers ?? get a cheep small trailer at LOWS an extend the tongue an build a support to fit the canoe , would be the best bet for the money spent , not good for the salt water, in the long run , [ big time rust ] do let us know what you end up doing for a trailer for your
    19 FT. SID

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    a trailer for a canoe with out riggers ?? get a cheep small trailer at LOWS an extend the tongue an build a support to fit the canoe , would be the best bet for the money spent , not good for the salt water, in the long run , [ big time rust ] do let us know what you end up doing for a trailer for your
    19 FT. SID
    Yes, buy a Home Depot/Lowes/Fred Meyer trailer, but when you assemble it substitute the factory tongue with another piece of metal and extend the tongue with it. My red FM trailer took a 1/8th" x 2.5" square x 8' tubing. But that's for an inflatable, you'll probably need longer for a canoe.

Lows trailer's is a little better than the RED one's I think, the wheels are larger for sure , an if you live in Anchorage or near by , Greer TANK should
    have the tongue metal you need also , there trailer is larger an longer , could be wrong, they have a couple of sizes ,
    an I do not own any of LOWS stock or work for them in any way , just trying to help , SID
    PS the cost is about $1000.00 + military discount will help , YES ? SID

My primary concern for trailers to be used in Alaska is tire size. If you're traveling much distance on gravel or pothole roads, those cheap trailers just aren't going to last very long.

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    My primary concern for trailers to be used in Alaska is tire size. If you're traveling much distance on gravel or pothole roads, those cheap trailers just aren't going to last very long.
    It's true. I swapped out tires/wheels for larger ones at Six States. Upgraded bearings too. I have done the full length of the D Highway a dozen times with no problems. These trailers will not hold up to exposure to saltwater, however.