Thread: New boat (to me) and first time boat owner

Default New boat (to me) and first time boat owner

greetings guys and gals, i recently purchased a 2001 20' Alumaweld intruder with an outboard 125 Mercury. the gentlemen that had it before me was the original owner and babied the rig as if it was one of his children so i felt comfortable pulling the trigger on the purchase, especially after a test drive on big lake. it came with tons of extras, for a guy who has NOTHING for boats, and i have been studying these forums and the mod page like crazy. I am posting on here now hoping to get any insight of lessons learned from other boat owners in the same class size of boat or those smaller/larger as i will be using this as a lake boat and the occasional Whittier trip boat for fishing/hunting.

thanks to anyone who responds.

*i will be in the market for a good GPS so any input on that would also be appreciated.
    The devil whispers, "You cannot withstand the storm."
    The warrior replies, "I AM the storm!"

Congrats on your purchase. That's a pretty good first boat. You can do a lot with it. GPS/Fishfinders are a super important piece of equipment and can be as simple or as complicated as you want. And the pricing is all over the map depending on the features you are looking for.

I have the Raymarine Dragonfly, it came with my boat. It seems to work just fine, I enjoy the 7 inch screen and the charts are pretty good but I'm not really happy with the sounder. It's not a NEMA 2000 compatible system either so I can't network the system or add a fuel management system. Basically, it works but I wouldn't have bought it and someday I'll replace it.

I'd like to get the Lowrance HDS with the fuel management system and flow meter, but that's just me.

Grab a couple of nets and put in at the Kenai dock! Just don't go past the bend with your 125. I've got an Intruder w/ inboard jet it is a very versatile hull.

Thanks for the info, I’ll definitely be doing some research into a good depth finder and chart plotter.

Any advice on a kicker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Martinezpj90 View Post
    Any advice on a kicker?
    Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust.
    What he said, and if you run it for a few minutes each time you go out they're pretty maintenance free.

Quote Originally Posted by Colver View Post
    What he said, and if you run it for a few minutes each time you go out they're pretty maintenance free.
    Pretty standard on most boats here in Valdez.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

To follow up with another question. I am normally a worst case scenario planner so only having the one motor for the boat and going out of whittier kind of worries me. Should I be concerned with only having one motor and heading out to naked or Perry island or any of the immediate coves outside of whittier?

Quote Originally Posted by Martinezpj90 View Post
    To follow up with another question. I am normally a worst case scenario planner so only having the one motor for the boat and going out of whittier kind of worries me. Should I be concerned with only having one motor and heading out to naked or Perry island or any of the immediate coves outside of whittier?

Thats what a Seatow membership is for. Cheap insurance.