Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2019 Haul Road Caribou thread

Just back from a quick trip. We went all the way to Deadhorse, road is in horrible shape after the pass, had a lot of rain and fog, only saw ONE group of six cows/calves running like antelope. Good luck to anyone else heading up, surely your trip will be more fruitful than ours.

posted this on haul road thread in hunting forum ...figured this thread should see the same info

Got back Sunday from a week on the Haul road (August 30 to Sept 7) saw cows/calves and small bulls, not a ton but enough to make several stalks. from 2 to 6 per day. Granted I was hosting a first timer and we were definitely not looking for trophy animals. He shot a bull and was happy about it. It was 70 degrees for 2 or 3 days and other days were 60's. we took time to cast dry flies to fat grayling as a diversion to the heat and slow caribou movement. We saw 6 different griz, musk ox of course and 2 moose cows. it was a good trip for me despite not harvesting a critter. It was good to spend time with a family member who I did not know very well...nothing like the outdoors to set the stage to build a friendship or family relationship!
    I have seen the road in worse condition...at least there were no bugs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12