Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Haul Road Caribou thread

Default 2019 Haul Road Caribou thread

Anyone been up hunting this early? I plan on going up early August.

Steve

I wish I was up hunting already. I'm heading up around Aug. 18th for 2 weeks then down to hunt DM922 hoping to fill some freezers. Read today the fire jumped the Hwy near Livengood.

I misread the fire jumped the Elliot Hwy. not the Dalton

They need to just let these fires burn their course.

Didn't even know there was a fire up in that area. Thanks for the info! Hopefully it doesn't grow. Looking forward to some rain this week!

Saw a report yesterday that alaska has over a million acres burned already this year.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

That is true and if all this beetle kill is not harvested you can count on a lot more. I predict the Parks highway going up in flames within the next year, two years tops! All this beetle kill spruce needs to be fair game to the public, native land or not it needs to be harvested. Wasilla subdivisions are at major risk as well, itís only a matter of time.

Went to Fairbanks 3 weeks ago and could not believe all the beetle kill along the parks!

Myself and a couple friends will be up there from August 5th-13th. I have never hunted the Dalton let alone been there. Hoping it turns out ok. Watching those weather forecasts like a Hawk hoping it cools down before we get up there. I have seen some videos from some Slope friends of some nice bulls by Prudhoe. Either way Caribou or no Caribou it will definitely be an adventure. Anyone heard anything about Caribou movement up there or maybe seen it in person? Any info is much appreciated. Happy hunting everyone and stay safe out there!

Planning on heading up 3rd week of August for a week or so. I work on the slope, weather has been in 50-60s(that can change real quick though) recently, herds and herds of skeeters and caribou are spread out everywhere up there. Can look in any direction and see bou but i'm not in the Deadhorse area, just west of it.

Warm weather *tends* to keep the caribou as far north as they can get, i.e. in the area closed to hunting. Of course, they are caribou, and they can - and will - do whatever the H. they want. Things can change very quickly. But historically, until the weather cools a bit, you'll likely be looking for small groups here and there, not a large herd movement. That can still be productive, though.

I don't have any info for this year's situation, but I have done the hunt numerous times, both with bow and rifle. Hit me up if you have any general questions on the hunt or the drive, which is an adventure unto itself. -Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Been up there MANY times. Here are some tips:
    1. As one guy said, the warmer the weather, the closer to the coast (if they have moved down at all given the warm weather). Meaning, when its hot you can try for the few local caribou that haven't been chased out (few and far between) if you are hunting below Pump Station 2 or wait for colder weather. If not, go North up to the boundary of the closed area and wait around.
    2. Avoid the obvious places where the mobs go. Obvious: Galbraith, Slope Mountain, Ice Cut, Happy Valley, Pump Station 2, etc. There will be caribou around those places EVENTUALLY but, the Northern Moronus Erectus will be there too to bust your stalks. Seriously, the obvious places bring many Moronus Erectus types who make running bee lines after caribou and chase them to parts unknown! A few years ago, I spent close to two hours crawling in the tundra stalking a particular bull when a Moronus came out of nowhere running directly at it (wearing snow camouflage when there was no snow at all) and chased it the heck away......I still can't believe the idiocy!
    3. If the mosquito cycle is up (it is always up early) bring LOTS of DEET and neck,ear, face, protection and gloves. Some years, it seems they want to fly off with your tent. You have to experience it to believe it! A nice mesh tent to sit and eat away from your sleeping tent makes sense.
    4. Practice LONGISH shots. Meaning, 40-80 yard shots. Be aware the wind almost always blows and it does BAD THINGS to your arrow.
    5. Be prepared to see BEARS. Be aware gut piles attract bears. Be aware bears love to walk the pipeline trails. Be aware these bears are MEANER than S_ _ T! I have ALWAYS seen bears in every trip I taken. Some far and some too close!
    6. If you go when the weather is hot, be ready to cover hundreds of miles glassing before you can start any stalk.
    7. Know your TUSSOCKS. Stay away from the tall ones. You can mess up an ankle/leg very easily.
    8. Keep your distance from the Muskox. You may see some and if in the rut, they will GORE you!
    9. Come prepared to take care of your meat RIGHT AWAY if it is hot.
    10. Yield to the truckers. Meaning, pull off to the side and let them pass. They will slow down if you do and won't spray you with gravel.
    11. Have good tires and take plenty of gas. Fill up to the hilt in Coldfoot. (They have good food at the truck stop.)
    12. Drive SLOW or, you and your vehicle will FOR SURE pay the price!
    13. If you are daring, wait for Bear season to open and get the paperwork/license. Nothing, and I mean nothing gets you more amped-up than stalking a mean and nasty tundra grizzly with your bow if you are hunting solo.

All good tips! I have a few dozen good hikes in the bag already this summer so feeling pretty good! I think Iím gonna go for the 5 mile stroll this year and bust me a bull! Just bought an inreach yesterday to be sure everything is legit.

Not many hunters, not many Caribou. Weather is so so, no construction is a bonus.

Anybody been up the highway I seen it had water running over it south of Coldfoot and shoulder damage? Be heading up the 18th or 19th

Quote Originally Posted by bigjign View Post
    Anybody been up the highway I seen it had water running over it south of Coldfoot and shoulder damage? Be heading up the 18th or 19th
    Its very rough in a 40 mile section between Baker (mi 90 Dalton) all the way until you get over Gobblers knob mi 132. After that it is not too too bad I would say. You can glass and glass for miles and every great once in a while see one lonely caribou in the distance surrounded by fields and fields of tussocks that look oh so inviting. I was in the K-dub so unfortunately wasnít able to make any moves but debating whether or not I want to make a trip back up with my one week off.

Iím on the Dalton right now

Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    Iím on the Dalton right now
    Had the glass on a couple Bulls right around 4 miles in from the highway, wish they would of been a little bit further out but other than that just a couple cows and one small 1.5 year old feeding alongside the road. Another group of hunters I talked to had seen a few across the sag but they didnít attempt inflating their raft as it was late in the evening. The rain and fog is really starting to settle in so I might just mosey on south.

thanks for the updates.

Anyone have any new updates from up north? I've been watching the weather up there, hopefully it starts cooling off a little more. I'll be headed up Aug 30th for a week and a half.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast