Thread: Kenai counts and OTF numbers!

Default Kenai counts and OTF numbers!

HERE WE GO?

Kasilof count yesterday : 15,774

Kenai count : 21,537!!!!!!

So obviously this is interesting. That Kenai count and Kasilof count is high for this early. I’m telling y’all this might be the run for the ages. A 21k day on the Kenai is not crazy good but it’s very good there should be decent amount of fish in the river somewhere. I feel like there is not enough news about this and these fish are sneaking by everyone!

Tell your friends! This may be a early run like I have predicted. Dipnetting opens tomorrow. I think it would be worth hitting it on the opener. Think about this. Even with the commercial nets out yesterday all day, we still had a number like this!

OTF numbers have been consistent for the last 5 days. In the 50’s.
    follow our page on Facebook for updates. Since aoj is gone we’re trying to help!

https://www.facebook.com/fishingthelastfrontier/

SHHH don't tell everyone. Im coming from Scotland in about week and hope to have the place to myself..
    Anyway Its looking promising in quite a few directions.

Tight Lines all.
    Graham.

The fish calendar says the big push is imminent.... it could happen any day.

ESSN's on the south beaches are averaging less than 100 fish per delivery, a bit better for the northerly sites closer to the river mouth. In other words, scratch netting. Unfortunately, the wind pattern for the next four days is NOT conducive to moving fish to the beach en masse.

When the fish's internal clock ultimately says GO.... they'll most certainly go. Just don't expect the HUGE historic daily pulses of the past in the third week of July.... set your expectations for moderate and metered passage for the coming week.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

If mother nature can muster a couple days of sustained S/SW winds, it WILL change everything. Pray for a GOOD blow soon.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by wsg7057 View Post
    follow our page on Facebook for updates. Since aoj is gone we’re trying to help!

https://www.facebook.com/fishingthelastfrontier/
    Please don’t. After seeing the upper kenai disaster before that page was shut down a month ago, I think he shut it down for a reason. A Facebook page sending 15,000 people that can’t think for themselves to a single fishing location each weekend proved to be an absolute disaster. The information is out there for people who are willing to take a little time to look beyond social media for all their life’s answers.

Quote Originally Posted by wjschmaltz View Post
    Please don’t. After seeing the upper kenai disaster before that page was shut down a month ago, I think he shut it down for a reason. A Facebook page sending 15,000 people that can’t think for themselves to a single fishing location each weekend proved to be an absolute disaster. The information is out there for people who are willing to take a little time to look beyond social media for all their life’s answers.
    Bingo

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by wsg7057 View Post
    I feel like there is not enough news about this and these fish are sneaking by everyone!
    Seriously? You have GOT to be kidding...???!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    Bingo
    Indeed...you can say that again!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Seriously? You have GOT to be kidding...???!!!
    Guess people don't read the news paper any more...……….

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    Guess people don't read the news paper any more...……….
    Its been years since I've picked up a newspaper, BUT if they are still running a "fishing report", I could probably quote it verbatim seeing as it didn't change from year to year when I did read the paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Its been years since I've picked up a newspaper, BUT if they are still running a "fishing report", I could probably quote it verbatim seeing as it didn't change from year to year when I did read the paper.
    Hi Gary, well I guess I should have been more pointed, they just ran an article about kenai dip netting which can be viewed online along with all the other places one can search. Like some one on here stated basically, the fish where about’s are no secret.

"In 2019, the peak day of sockeye salmon passage in the Kenai River occurred on July 28, with a count of 99,038 fish. This was the highest daily sockeye salmon passage at the Kenai River sonar since 2014. During the previous 10 years, the average date where 50% of the yearly sonar passage occurred in the Kenai River was July 24. In 2019, 50% of the total passage did not occur until July 28."
    The KeenEye MD

I always look at the OTF numbers and if they are big I feel good about inriver numbers but it is complex. I'm still trying to put all the data together and look when the commercials can fish for my best guess at what will enter the river. This year the OTF numbers were big and so was the run but for timing the shift seems to be later than historic norms.

One can study otfs,charts and graphs all they want. .but when the fish make a charge for the river, no amount of commercial effort can stem the flood. Have that net in the water at that time, and you will be succesful.