Thread: Blueberries & Raspberries

Default Blueberries & Raspberries

We have a big hill in our backyard that’s about 100’ long. I was hoping to get some blueberry and raspberry plants in it this year to come back for the next few years. Any advice on what type and where to get them in the valley? Older plants preferred - kids are excited about it so the sooner we can have some berries, the better.

Thanks!

Raspberries are easy and available from most any gardening center / greenhouse in the spring. You can't go wrong with Kiska, but there are several good varieties commonly available. As far as blueberries go, IMHO you can't improve on the wild native ones...so I can't speak to growing domestic varieties.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

I agree with you on the blueberries; but it’d be nice to have some in the yard, too.

Not sure on where to buy them from in your area.
    But a piece of advice. Be sure to test your soil before planting. Blueberries prefer a slightly acidic soil.
    If your pH isn't right your wasting your money buying plants.
    So be sure and prep your soil before planting or you'll have wasted your money.
    You may have to amend your soil for the raspberries as well.
    Don't assume that because grass or weeds grow there as it is that your berry plants will grow there as well without amending the soil.
    The pH needs to be right and you most likely need to add some nutrients to the soil. At least each planting hole should get some peat moss/fertilizer (manure or organic fertilizer) mix.
    You can lower your pH using some garden sulfur.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Strawberries: northern fruits nursery in the Butte had bare roots 20 for $20. I think planted green ones for $2. Most big box stores like Lowe's have them for at least twice as much.

Consider haskaps instead of blueberries. A lot easier to grow, prolific, moose doesn't seem to like them all that much, and as Hardy as they come.

I know the kids want to see result yesterday but you should do some work for the future. Taking the time to plant a few sour cherry bushes (think bushy trees) will make you glad you did.