Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What am I missing on Hewescraft?

Default What am I missing on Hewescraft?

I normally rent a 22' Sea Sport out of Homer to take out fishing, but I've been in the market to purchase a boat, so today I decided to rent a 22' Hewescraft Sea Runner, hard top and extended transom with a 200 hp outboard. I figured I'd try these out since they come for sale regularly. I gotta say, I didn't like this boat at all. There were about 2' seas most of the day, but a good tide ripping through too. That thing pounded all the way out. I played with the trim tabs to make it somewhat manageable, but still, we were bouncing way more than on the sea sport. Then, when parked fishing, it rocks like crazy. I imagine an Ocean Pro would be a little more stable in the water than this one, but would even that be anywhere near the stability of the sea sport, which is far heavier?

I know there are tradeoffs to every boat. I imagine the hewes is much easier to tow, and i normally use about $200 in gas in the sea sport, so I was pleasantly surprised to only put $95 in to fill up today. But outside of those things, will the sea sport be that much more of a comfortable ride overall? I realize every boat will take some figuring out, and perhaps I was doing the trim tabs and motor trim wrong? But I was surprised how much we rocked when parked for fishing. I just figured with the popularity of hewes up here, they would be a bit more comfortable than what it was like today.

For what it's worth, I don't mean for this to be a Hewes bash thread. I know lots of people here love them, and the truth is I kinda wanted to love them too. The idea of being able to get in to China poot appeals to me, which I can't do with a glass boat, and there are other reasons I'd love to have aluminum. But I'm not so sure after today. What am I missing?
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

My first boat was a 22' Aurora from Bolton. I broke my teeth in on it for nine years and then graduated to a 22' SeaSport. Yes there is a world of difference between an aluminum boat and a fiberglass tank. I found out I could hit heaver seas on the SeaSport without all the banging around and bobbing. I now have a 24' SeaSport and it is again a world of difference. That thing is way more comfortable to fish from. Yes I miss the fuel costs of the 90 h.p. Honda on the Aurora. There are trade offs in any switch.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Short answer is yes there is that much difference between the two boats. There is nothing wrong with Hewescraft but Bayweld, North River, Woolridge, Armstrong & a number of other aluminum mfrs are a better comparison to the Sea Sport.............
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

"get in to China poot appeals to me, which I can't do with a glass boat" why not ??? anywhere those tin cans can go so can a bleach bottle !

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    Short answer is yes there is that much difference between the two boats. There is nothing wrong with Hewescraft but Bayweld, North River, Woolridge, Armstrong & a number of other aluminum mfrs are a better comparison to the Sea Sport.............
    In what way are those other aluminum boats a better comparison? Heavier than hewes? Wider?
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    In what way are those other aluminum boats a better comparison? Heavier than hewes? Wider?
    Heavier yes, wider no but you need to look at other features as well. Hull type is a telling factor: Hewes is a modified V hull to get the best of a couple of designs while the others are Deep V hulls. 220 OP deadrise fwd = 35 deg/aft = 14 deg while North River = 55 deg entry (fwd)/20 deg aft. Chines shapes are another big difference between Hewes & other mfrs.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

You can definitely get into China Poot in a fiberglass boat, just gotta be a little more careful.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You need to try out a C-Dory. Best boat I ever had. I had aluminum boats and they always beat you up and they are colder in the early spring and late fall. I like the aluminum because they are lighter but you can beat the ride and stability of a C-Dory.

Yup a glass boat can handle the slop more comfortably than aluminum. Each brand mentioned here (Hewescraft, SeaSport, C-Dory) has cult followings. Renting a boat for a weekend is a great way to see what you like. Another plus for fiberglass is that aluminum boats do get corrosion pitting which fiberglass boats do not. Marine surveyors are seeing this more and more. I had a 27' Uniflite I was selling and gave a test ride to a guy who was 1/2 owner of Hewescraft Alaskan 260 who was amazed at the ride difference. Both aluminum and fiberglass can look pretty dated if neglected as well. I have seen a lot of 5-15 year old Hewescraft boats that the owners are selling for what they paid for them (no depreciation) and they are getting their asking price sometimes.

Sobie2

I'm an aluminum boat builder and frankly, I'd own a glass boat - if I lived in Florida. Aluminum boats are noisy, flighty (unless they are a BW with granite counter tops and other 'necessities') and must be be maintained differently than glass. They both have + and -'s. The only advice I have is if you hit the beach a lot, forget glass. With my personal skiff, I've punched two holes in the bow area what with where (and when) I have to land at the house being a rockpile depending on tide stage and added weather complications. A glass boat? No way! BUT if I was just cruising, I'd go glass. Repairs can be done by self, no need for these strange welder types. All hull maint is a 'stay on top' of it issue.

Quote Originally Posted by copperlake View Post
    I'm an aluminum boat builder and frankly, I'd own a glass boat - if I lived in Florida. Aluminum boats are noisy, flighty (unless they are a BW with granite counter tops and other 'necessities') and must be be maintained differently than glass. They both have + and -'s. The only advice I have is if you hit the beach a lot, forget glass. With my personal skiff, I've punched two holes in the bow area what with where (and when) I have to land at the house being a rockpile depending on tide stage and added weather complications. A glass boat? No way! BUT if I was just cruising, I'd go glass. Repairs can be done by self, no need for these strange welder types. All hull maint is a 'stay on top' of it issue.
    perfect & honest answer ! the only thing i would add is you can't get the same shaped hull out of a metal boat as you can with a glass boat.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

for somebody who wasn't in a hurry i think this would be a great boat for PWS, seward or homer. lot of boat for not a lot of money.
    Excellent Condition $80,000

Built by Atlantic Boats. Finished by Cape Island Boats
    LOA: 26' 3" | LWL: 24' 8" | Beam: 9' 6"
    260HP 6 Cylinder Yannmar BY260 - 1250hrs
    Cruise: 20knts Top End 25knts
    Two 50 Gallon Stainless Steel Fuel Tanks
    Finished v-berth, cabin heater and enclosed head

Electronics
    Furuno FCV-585 Sounder
    Northstar Plotter
    Furuno Navnet NX2 Plotter & Radar
    Simrad AP28 Autopilot
    ICOM M506 VHF Radio plus ICOM Command Mic
    4" Ritchie Compass
    Rigid Industries M2-Series 6" Bow Light

All manuals for electronics and motor as well as service records

Deck Equipment
    Anchor Winch, Electric Reel Outlet, 40 Gallon Livewell 800GPH, LD marine 16' Outriggers,
    Aluminum Gin Pole, (6) 0 Degree Rod Holders w/backing plates and (2) 45-degree trolling holders, (2) Helm Chairs, On Demand Saltwater Washdown, and (2) Rule 1100 Gallon Bilge Pumps w/high water alarm.

Safety Equipment:
    4 Offshore Life Jackets, Life Ring, Survival Suits, 2 Fire Extinguishers, EPIRB and Elliot 4-Man Life Raft
    Attached Files:

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Potbuilder do you have a link for that boat
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Potbuilder do you have a link for that boat
    Here's a even nicer one if you talk with the guy tell him steve from the snow squall told you about the boat
    https://www.downeastboatforum.com/th...fishing.26993/

that duffy is also on the site

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    perfect & honest answer ! the only thing i would add is you can't get the same shaped hull out of a metal boat as you can with a glass boat.
    Yes, that by and large we AL boat builders are stuck with 'developability', we more or less make "seen one, seen 'em all" sorts of things. If only we had the metal forming capabilities of Ford or GM!

Quote Originally Posted by copperlake View Post
    Yes, that by and large we AL boat builders are stuck with 'developability', we more or less make "seen one, seen 'em all" sorts of things. If only we had the metal forming capabilities of Ford or GM!
    You also can't increase and decrease hull thickness in areas needed or not needed. My aluminum boat was also a pain to keep the algae off of. In the fall it was a pain in the adz to clean. The copper painted SeaSport just power washes off.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    Yup a glass boat can handle the slop more comfortably than aluminum. Each brand mentioned here (Hewescraft, SeaSport, C-Dory) has cult followings. Renting a boat for a weekend is a great way to see what you like. Another plus for fiberglass is that aluminum boats do get corrosion pitting which fiberglass boats do not. Marine surveyors are seeing this more and more. I had a 27' Uniflite I was selling and gave a test ride to a guy who was 1/2 owner of Hewescraft Alaskan 260 who was amazed at the ride difference. Both aluminum and fiberglass can look pretty dated if neglected as well. I have seen a lot of 5-15 year old Hewescraft boats that the owners are selling for what they paid for them (no depreciation) and they are getting their asking price sometimes.

Sobie2
    I owned glass boats for 21 years ~ Bayliner Saratoga, Seasport 22 and Seasport 24. I will vehemently disagree with your first statement, however my aluminum boat is a bit more stout than a Hewescraft!!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Yes I was referring to common production aluminum boats not custom.

Sobie2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    I owned glass boats for 21 years ~ Bayliner Saratoga, Seasport 22 and Seasport 24. I will vehemently disagree with your first statement, however my aluminum boat is a bit more stout than a Hewescraft!!
    You ain't ever rode on a lobstah boat ! Did you call Ronnie? the second boat i posted, that boat is better than new.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    You also can't increase and decrease hull thickness in areas needed or not needed. My aluminum boat was also a pain to keep the algae off of. In the fall it was a pain in the adz to clean. The copper painted SeaSport just power washes off.
    Of course, there is an (expensive) solution to the fouling on your AL boat: sandblast, 235 epoxy and SN1 anti-fouling paint. It is true that absent that treatment, over time, AL gets worse and worse to clean, especially if encrusting bryozoans and barnacles establish a beach head! I understand the reasons, but it was a sad day when the banned TBT (tributyltin) fot AL boats. That stuff lasted for years. They also banned zinc oxide primer which was used under the 235. Using those products, my personal skiff was blasted and painted by Gary Squires, in Homer, in '93 and most of that coating is still good. SN1 is an every two year proposition if your skiff is in the water for months, continuously. Paint also (usually) makes anodes last longer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast