Thread: Set nets and Pike in the salt??

Default Set nets and Pike in the salt??

This morning I listened to the Commfish recording and they requested all east side set netters keep any Pike and to keep them cool and turn them in to fins and feathers. How can pike be in the salt as they are a freshwater fish?? It was really strange to hear that!! Does anyone have any idea what this is about?

They have been known to occasionally migrate thru saltwater to new freshwater homes.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Only a matter of time before they get in the Kenai, and when they do I will definitely be ready to catch that trophy!

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    This morning I listened to the Commfish recording and they requested all east side set netters keep any Pike and to keep them cool and turn them in to fins and feathers. How can pike be in the salt as they are a freshwater fish?? It was really strange to hear that!! Does anyone have any idea what this is about?
    He said ANY GILLNET in UPPER COOK INLET, Not just Eastside setnets.

Pike are caught in the salt in Bristol Bay, Kusko, Yukon, and I'm sure other places.

They just want to see where pike have spread to and in what numbers.

Jeremy Wade, from the show river monsters has a new show called ‘dark waters’ I think it is on animal planet. In one episode he is fishing for pike in Sweden and he catches a healthy pike about 2’ long actively feeding in the salt. I like the show, except for the fact that there is about 1/2 hour of content in a 1 hour show. There are a couple of interesting episodes set in Alaska, one looking at why big halibut are rarer now, and another about king salmon declining.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer