Thread: Little Susitna Float planning help.

Supporting Member

Default Little Susitna Float planning help.

anyone willing to share campsite info/loc for Little Susitna float trip planning? Floating from Houston to Burma, Thanks all

It’s a fun float, you will spend 2 nights on the river,surprisingly not a lot of gravel bars for camping but there are some,the water gets a bit slow towards the end of the float.bring your fishing gear for kings -it’s open now.every gravel bar has bear tracks when we went, bring some spray.
    “Thank you Polaris for making me a better mechanic”

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMoss#83 View Post
    It’s a fun float, you will spend 2 nights on the river,surprisingly not a lot of gravel bars for camping but there are some,the water gets a bit slow towards the end of the float.bring your fishing gear for kings -it’s open now.every gravel bar has bear tracks when we went, bring some spray.
    Thanks. definitely gonna be working for kings. planning on 2 possibly 3 nights. I floated it once in 95' but I can only remember papoose, and a few seismic trail camping spots. hoping to plan campings spots ahead, so we don't pass good ones late in the day ( the evening campsite gamble)

There’s no real planning camping spots, you just float along and when you see something nice, pull in and camp.

What are are you using to float, canoe? Kayak? Raft? I would plan on two long days floating in a raft,...much faster in a canoe.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    There’s no real planning camping spots, you just float along and when you see something nice, pull in and camp.

What are are you using to float, canoe? Kayak? Raft? I would plan on two long days floating in a raft,...much faster in a canoe.
    big cataraft and 2 pr49's. gonna stretch it 3 to 4 day float. just looking to find nice handy/flat spots I can plan on staying at other than the few I remember from over 20 years ago.

Don't know if you will have phone coverage , but you do have GPS , divide up your stops [ distance ] when you get to the spot , grab the best spot you can find near it , what you don't want is to camp any where near the boat ramp , to much trafic on the river, more people , have a good trip ,
    PS , there is a lot of sweepers on the beginning few miles till you get to the creek out of the lake , after that the water will be slow ,
    [it has been a few years ] SID

You should check tge gauge before you go. Presently running very low and slow and likely to get lower. You may end up dragging your boat if that continues. You will see more sandbars as a result. At lower volumes like this the wife and I have paddled a long way going upstream from the takeout in a canoe which was alot of fun. Id try and go on a weekday as the millions of jetboats during fish season really kill the wilderness experience. Cheers and best of luck

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk