Thread: SS outboard jet impeller...

Question SS outboard jet impeller...

I'm looking into getting a stainless impeller for my 115hp Johnson. What vendors have you guys found that carry them and what can I expect to pay? I called Greatland Welding and he threw out $500 (ballpark figure). I was only able to find one or two sites online that carried impellers and their selection was weak.

Any suggestions? It looks like I need a 7 3/8.

Thanks in advance!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

AK Mining and Diving had one in stock for my outboard. I paid around $300 for mine.

not to hijack his thread, but an additional question: how much more or less efficient is the SS impeller versus OE equipment?

From my research, it looks like the major benefits are:

1 - they will withstand a beating from the gravel with little damage (unlike aluminum)

2 - since the steel is stronger, the impeller can be thinner which makes it easier for the engine to turn (increasing performance)

Also, it sounds like the benefits are mainly observed only in 100+ hp engines. I'm looking for the durability in gravel mainly (I've had a couple of "incidents" this year already )
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

A quote from the outboard jet web site:

14. Does a stainless steel impeller improve performance of a jet drive?

Stainless steel impellers work well on motors above 100 HP. They give less slippage on start up and therefore can pickup a heavier load. Top speed of, maybe, one to two mph or better. Below 100 HP, the main advantage is longer wear life.
    Tennessee

I believe most SS impellers are also 4-bladed and opposed to most aluminum impellers being 3-bladed.

Default where to buy ss impeller

Go to ak mining and diving. Mine cost $400.00. Some businesses will try to sell you "rebuilt" impellers and sold as new. Look the impeller over carefully. If you see marks on the mating surfaces that indicate wear, don't buy it.

Default A1 propeller has them too, compare prices!

I went over there to just get a price for my merc opti 150, and they wanted $425 for a new stainless 4 blade. just another place to look!

Default Another place to try

A-1 Prop and Impleller in Anchorage. From what I've been told as far as performance it's mainly for O/B over 100hp, and durability for anything less than 100hp. I'm thinking the same thing because I tore my new impleller and sleeve up on the Little Su this year.

Thumbs up Noticed difference

I put one on my 90/65 Merc this year and I noticed a difference. My alum impeller was pretty beat up from last summer though, so that may have been why I noticed such a difference too. It seems to get on step faster, has a little faster response and pushes a load better than the alum one did.

I didn't suck up near as many rocks this year. Maybe learned a lesson or two from last year..... But when I did suck some rocks, there was no noticeable chips on the impeller. Big improvement over the old one, you could look and find all the new gouges every time with it. Worth the $400 in my books and then you have the old one for a spare.

Just my 2 cents (actually 40,000 cents).

AK_BigO

Default Link

AKMud

Heres one on craigslist that I bet the guy would sell you seperate.

Good luck

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/385410771.html

Thanks! Another member sent me the link too. I have an email out to the guy, but haven't heard back.

Thanks for the help!
    AKmud