Thread: haul rd bou

Default haul rd bou

Seems the last thread died. Any word on where the haul rd bou are? about how far does one difinatley need to plan on driving. Atigun pass and farther or are there caribou on this side of the pass as well? I'm having trouble decifering the regs on the bears there as well. where can I and can't I take a bear on the way up there or the way back with a bow?
    Has anyone seen any bou up there recently?
    Thanks!
    Justin
    Justin

There's a few bou around, but I've never seen the amount of hunters this time of year that are up here. In the last few days I have seen 4 different cars. By that I mean CARS. I guess a new breed is coming up here to hunt in their small mazda and toyota hatchbacks. I also saw a subaru and what looked like a buick. There are also about 4 trucks with campers, 3 without and a suburban driving around. All the caribou are within 12 miles of town, so everybody is packed in together. I've seen two bulls taken, one by a F150 and one by the guys in the buick. I hadn't seen any other racks in camps over the last few days.

As for the bears north of atigun pass in unit 26B, you can hunt them in the general season (one bear every year) in the spring, but in the fall you need a permit to hunt them starting September 1st. The board of game decided to limit the amount of grizzly bear hunters due to too many opportunistic caribou hunters going after grizzlies. The spring season does not coincide with the caribou season, which is why they opened it back up.

Default town

when you say all the caribou are within twelve miles of town is that deadhorse or a different town?
    Justin

Default Haul road bou

Ill be heading up the haul road next week and ill be there about 5 days. Got any ideas of where they will be then? Last year I went up at about the same time and they were everywhere between pump station 2 and 3. Hopefully it will go good this year. Well any advice/comments will be helpful Thanks!

Default Bou' by the Bay

I have been working on the road project at about 40 to 50 mile outside of town (Deadhorse) it looks like most of the bou' are still at about 20 to 30 mile. Have seen some nice bulls and a couple taken. Lots of traffic in the area (belly dumps hauling doubles to 50 mile). Been foggy in the morning and usually breaks a little in the afternoon. Not to cold yet though. We were driving from Sag river everyday and would see a lone bull around happy valley once in a while.

On a side note please be courteous when passing people on the road. Slowing down is easier on everyones vehicle and safer. The road is unpredictable sometimes until right on the bad spot. I had my window down the other day and took a small rock to the throat and it left a nice little mark. Thankfully it wasn't my eye. Everyone that works up there uses CB's and word gets around fast