Thread: August Prep, flies for Dollies? (Pic heavy)

Default August Prep, flies for Dollies? (Pic heavy)

I have researched a ton but there seems to be a lack of information related to good flies for sea run dollies. Any suggestions for flies while targeting sea run dollies?

Here is what I've tied so far for coho's, rainbows, and grayling

You're definitely on the right track. My wife, and son and I went up north to fish some of those giant sea-run dollies you are talking about. It was a blast. We caught lots of hogs in the 25-30 inch and 10 lb. class. Purple egg sucking leech patterns were the go to flies. Also look up purple hareball bunny egg sucking leeches and egg sucking electric leeches. Those were also good flies to use. And the end of August was the best time to go.

In the salt, small (#4 and #6) Clausers in chartreuse/white and blue/white, simple shrimp same sizes, mostly pink, but sometimes orange or chartreuse, beadhead San Juan worms, same sizes in orange, red or pink. In freshwater #14-16 Deerhair Caddis for topwater (wake them, dead drifts don't produce well), #8 or #10 Globugs, beadhead PT Nymphs and BH Hares Ear in #12-16 and #8-10 Clausers in olive/white or brown/white.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Thank you both for the info. Realize now, I should have given a bit more information about the trip. Without blowing up river names online, I'll be specifically targeting sea run dollies up North, on a well known river, within reach of the road. That should give it away lol. All in fresh water, mid to late August. As far as I know, there will not be salmon in the river.

Bushwhack Jack, I can only hope to catch one that big, will be happy with anything bigger than 15" and nicely colored. Purple ESLs have been my go to, I must have a dozen already tied and will tie up more before I get there. Good to know I can stick with it.

BrownBear, that's cool about the caddis. Skittering caddis can be a fun time, wears my arm out fast, haha. I will tie up some clousers for sure. From your experience, when the sea run dollies hit the fresh water, they will readily eat buggy flies like you mention over minnow/shrimp initiations that they are accustomed to?

Quote Originally Posted by FishnPhil View Post
    Thank you both for the info. Realize now, I should have given a bit more information about the trip. Without blowing up river names online, I'll be specifically targeting sea run dollies up North, on a well known river, within reach of the road. That should give it away lol. All in fresh water, mid to late August. As far as I know, there will not be salmon in the river.

Bushwhack Jack, I can only hope to catch one that big, will be happy with anything bigger than 15" and nicely colored. Purple ESLs have been my go to, I must have a dozen already tied and will tie up more before I get there. Good to know I can stick with it.

BrownBear, that's cool about the caddis. Skittering caddis can be a fun time, wears my arm out fast, haha. I will tie up some clousers for sure. From your experience, when the sea run dollies hit the fresh water, they will readily eat buggy flies like you mention over minnow/shrimp initiations that they are accustomed to?
    I think I know which river you are referring to and I've fished it. Last week of August is about perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by FishnPhil View Post
    From your experience, when the sea run dollies hit the fresh water, they will readily eat buggy flies like you mention over minnow/shrimp initiations that they are accustomed to?
    In our experience they turn right off the shrimp and onto freshwater food once they're in the river. You might catch one or two on a shrimp, but it's pretty sparse compared to what you can do with dedicated freshwater flies, right down to the change in Clauser colors and sizes.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

You have pink/white dolly llamas. Add in Olive/white and black white, possibly blue/white, as well. Cannot go wrong with that fly, for just about any oversized Alaska fish!

Did some clousers up...

Next up, more llamas, thanks for the color suggestions. Speaking of dolly llamas, the ones in my first post are 5-6" tied with either a #1 or #2 hook, for targetting cohos. For all around fishing should I size down on my next batch of dolly llamas? Thank you!

Looking good. Never tried dolly llamas that big for anything. Even the ones I use for kings top out at 3 1/2" to 4" and my coho versions seldom hit 3". I'd sure tie some smaller sizes for dollies/char/rainbows, on the order of 2"-2 1/2". So small in fact that in general terms Zonkers seem to work just as well and are lots easier to tie. Rule of thumb for me in that size class of fly is #4. Best color still happens to be black/white over that range of species, but I've had luck on others as well. Just always seem to start with black/white and don't bother changing if it is working. I'd sure tie up some other combos just for fun and see if you can report a new favorite.
    Merle Haggard

When you say zonker, do you mean something like:

Or more like these

Also, i already had tied up some black and white clousers

Like the first in general, but I put a short rabbit strip of a contrasting color on the bottom- free at the back with the leather cut about half body length.
    Merle Haggard

Awesome, understood. Thank you!

The tying continues

These are 2.5-3". I just can't resist tying articulated versus bunny leeches or zonkers. Just need to trim the front hook.

Did someone say dolly llamas work? Ok, so i tied up a few more

Oh yeah. You're cooking and ready to fish!
    Merle Haggard