Thread: Barrel Setup and Hole Size Questions...

Default Barrel Setup and Hole Size Questions...

So...first year here in Maine baiting black bear. What do you guys like for a hole size on your barrels? 18"X18" near the center of the barrel...perhaps smaller? Also, do you prefer hanging it vertical- tight against the tree? Off the ground a bit...if so, how high? I know there's probably no wrong answer here, but curious what you guys prefer at this stage in the game. I've read some older posts, but this seems like something where you might change your mind after a few years of trying different barrel positions...

Attachment 97947
    I could not find a good pic of the whole setup. I hang a treestep about 5' in the air. I then hang the barrel by a chain so that it is about 18" off of the ground. The barrel has 2 - 1" holes in it. The bears usually come in and just lay down and lick at the hole to get food. Not enough food??? I have had 50 pounds of dog food gone in under a day. Fifty pounds of popcorn in four hours. It works for dog food sized stuff only.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Itís amazing to watch a black bear lick a half dollar size hole and not move for an hour...keep the holes smaller for black bears so the birds donít end up eating most your food.
    Iíve had some grizzlies just tear my barrels apart and basically change everything I did. So set up for them starts out pretty and ends up just however they want it. Lol
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thanks guys. Probably just overthinking some of this- trial and error...will be fun!

Cut holes (1 1/8 inch) for a chain on one end of the barrel. Lie the barrel on its side and uses one 14 ft chain through the holes in the barrel and run the chain around a tree and lock it.
    Cut one 2 inch hole in the center of the barrel, on the same end as the chain hole . Fill with dog food (I use Old Roy). Every time the bear wants the dog food, he has to tip up the barrel and with the two inch hole, only about a cup will dribble out before it plugs. He will drop the barrel eat the one cup and then have to repeat the process over and over and over. Over the years, using this method, the bears have be able to get about 20 lb of dog food a day for all their effort.
    Also, I have found that a two inch hole is small enough to prevent the bears for getting a tooth into the hole and making it bigger. My buddy uses a 2 Ĺ inch hole but the bears can hook a tooth in it and expand the hole within a short period of time, not to mention getting more dog food per day.

Bears are smarter than people think. I once had a bear that instead of using the 1" holes, figured out how to flip the barrel upside down and pour the food out of the bung holes on the top. Since then I switched to a barrel with a lid that has a snap ring to secure it. I just unsnap the lid, pour in the food and replace the lid. Takes about 2 minutes to fill the barrel. The snap ring has a place for a pin to insert so the bears can't get the lid off.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

I used snap rings till a grizz squeezed it like a Pringleís can till the lid blew off.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212