Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Retiring to a simple life in Alaska?

Quote Originally Posted by mg4570 View Post
    I'm back from Afghanistan, thank God! Truck and camper are purchased, and I've been living in them for a month now. I just drove from New Hampshire to North Carolina, headed to Georgia tomorrow to visit a cousin for deer rifle season. I'll start heading West in November or December to spend the winter in the desert Southwest. Come spring 2020, I'll hopefully be on my way up to Alaska. Truck is a 2007 F350 6.0 diesel 4x4 running 295/70R18 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 tires. We put $10k into the truck "bulletproofing" it: new O-ringed heads and studs, new cooling system, gauges, EGR delete, etc.

Well,,,,, way to go, Dam Nice Set-up for sure, and this will let you get around pretty easy, and know if Alaska is where you want to be, and if so, it won't be hard to sell that Rig, if you choose too, that is.
    best of Luck to Yea......
    TG
    [ USMC 1st Marine Div. 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi ]

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Mg4570, great looking rig. I had a truck camper and really liked it. Yours is a bigger and better set up than the one I had. Very nice. Is that a 250 or 350? 10' camper? Have a great time getting to Alaska, a dream for a lot of us.

Mark
    Many thanks, Mark! My truck is a 350, super cab, long bed. The camper is a Northstar 9.5 Igloo and is 9.5' long.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by mg4570 View Post
    I'm back from Afghanistan, thank God! Truck and camper are purchased, and I've been living in them for a month now. I just drove from New Hampshire to North Carolina, headed to Georgia tomorrow to visit a cousin for deer rifle season. I'll start heading West in November or December to spend the winter in the desert Southwest. Come spring 2020, I'll hopefully be on my way up to Alaska. Truck is a 2007 F350 6.0 diesel 4x4 running 295/70R18 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 tires. We put $10k into the truck "bulletproofing" it: new O-ringed heads and studs, new cooling system, gauges, EGR delete, etc.

Nice rig, the 6.0 gets a bad rap, not its fault the early iteration was rushed into production. Nice motors once studded and egr deleted. Pretty efficient, nice power, and I really like the high toned sound of a 6.0.

Nice rig and a great dream. I wish you the best of luck and hope you make your dream a reality. In addition to some of the other suggested searches for property, check out Alaska List. There are always one or two properties listed that should make you drool.

I have sold property on Craigs List. The last one was a cabin of 5 acres of bluff property overlooking Cook Inlet.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123