Thread: Moose deterrents for the garden

Default Moose deterrents for the garden

Just looking for some new ideas for keeping moose out the garden. We had 5 foot wooden fence that we used for years and never had any major problems before and then about 2 years ago the moose started getting in. Then last year we tried putting up an electric fence on top of the original fence and a cow got through that. So this year we demolished the old fence and built a 6 foot fence. A friend of ours tells us it won't work. I'm looking for some new ideas. What do you guys use? We tried looking for some barbed wire but it's really hard to find or ridiculously expensive for the amount we need.

I think a tall fence and electric wire(s) are the best. Problem is, as you've discovered, if an individual animal makes it through it instantly learns that it can do so again, even if it incurs a little shock. Then, you're pretty well screwed until you can get rid of that animal...or you're willing/able to construct a 9' tall tank-proof fence.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

6’ tall fence is plenty to keep moose out, just gotta build it quality.

http://www.plantskydd.com

Not sure about effectiveness. But I know its used in AK.

The way you placed your electric wire the last time wasn't going to work. The moose needs to be in contact with the ground when the nose touches the wire; the fur will not conduct the charge. He probably came to his jumping spot, didn't even see the wire, and by the time he touched it his rear legs were off the ground and no zapping took place.

Put the wire outside of the fence 3~4 feet off the ground, use the highly visible yellow wire, and remember to coat it with peanut butter every once in a while. You want that moose to find that wire, you want him to smell the wire, and God willing you want him to wrap his tongue around that wire. After that he'll think the entire fence is a death trap.

You could probably grow your fence another foot with something highly visible. It doesn't need to be strong, you just want the moose to think twice before attempting to jump the visibly taller fence.

Quote Originally Posted by dbcooper View Post
    The way you placed your electric wire the last time wasn't going to work. The moose needs to be in contact with the ground when the nose touches the wire; the fur will not conduct the charge. He probably came to his jumping spot, didn't even see the wire, and by the time he touched it his rear legs were off the ground and no zapping took place.

Put the wire outside of the fence 3~4 feet off the ground, use the highly visible yellow wire, and remember to coat it with peanut butter every once in a while. You want that moose to find that wire, you want him to smell the wire, and God willing you want him to wrap his tongue around that wire. After that he'll think the entire fence is a death trap.

You could probably grow your fence another foot with something highly visible. It doesn't need to be strong, you just want the moose to think twice before attempting to jump the visibly taller fence.
    boy, i like this idea!

I was talking to the owners of fire apple orchard in Wasilla. They have a few trees outside of their fenced tree lot and what they do to winterize them is to wrap them with deer fencing screen. Google "deer fence", it is the black plastic 1" grid 7.5' tall material. The material looked somewhat thin but apparently after several years of doing that the worst they have seen is moose nibbling on the tip of branches that stick out. I'm going to try that this year.

For those who do not know moose may eat the leaves out of bushes and trees in the summer and fall but the real damage happens in the winter when they eat the branches and will eat a bush down to the ground. They can destroy years of growth in minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by fuhrerak View Post
    http://www.plantskydd.com

Not sure about effectiveness. But I know its used in AK.
    I've used it. It works. I can't find my pic of moose tracks leading up to one of my apple trees..then doing an about face without sampling the tree. They used to do a whole lot more than just sample. We have several neighborhood moose. They seem to learn. I spray some on the leaves, but mainly on the largest branches. They don't even come in the yard anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    They don't even come in the yard anymore.
    I want them in my yard even though they trim my crab apple trees. I have taken 2 of them out. One on opening morning with my bow right in the front lawn, and another in the back yard with the .300
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.