Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry issa PITA

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Chez:
    I too, plan to lose weight. I hope it will help.
    SOTN
    I was surprised by the difference it made

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

A nother angle of the dangle regarding CC is the negative reaction from others when they become aware that you CC, either when they notice your gun, or during conversation. I have NOT, experienced such, but then my CC was not known. To my knowledge, anyway. Opposition could conceivably make CC harder.

Have you experienced any negativity to your, someone else's CC? What does the General Public really think about it?

I had positive reaction to OC at one of the highway streams while I was fishing. A lady told my wife, she felt Safer knowing someone had a gun. A fellow there with his family told me he had a 44 in his back pack. (Presumably, the concern was bears.) These were unsolicited statements, as if they were just showing support. On another occasion, in a different place I was asked WHY I was wearing the gun, purportedly out of curiosity. I replied, it was for Bear protection, and I liked guns.

The question is,,, How accepting is the public of CC? Do they see the need? Do they see the presence of a gun as "In your face"? A threat? As MACHO?

My Baby sister lives in a small town, adjacent to a large city, in IL. The family doesn't lock their doors. Neighbors just walk in whenever they feel like it, and they do the same at their neighbors houses. Sometimes they do important or helpful things.

I consider that nothing less than "Foolhardy". My BIL is sort of a Gun Guy, too. I gather there are places where he would appreciate CC. This is an example of someone who doesn't consider CC as a serious need.

Thanks,
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

No one needs to know you are concealed carrying. Hence concealed. Iím embarrassed if I print or show off my CCW.
    If I wanted to let everyone know Iím carrying, Iíd open carry.

A nother angle of the dangle regarding CC is the negative reaction from others when they become aware that you CC, either when they notice your gun, or during conversation. I have NOT, experienced such, but then my CC was not known. To my knowledge, anyway. Opposition could conceivably make CC harder.

Have you experienced any negativity to your, someone else's CC? What does the General Public really think about it?

I had positive reaction to OC at one of the highway streams while I was fishing. A lady told my wife, she felt Safer knowing someone had a gun. A fellow there with his family told me he had a 44 in his back pack. (Presumably, the concern was bears.) These were unsolicited statements, as if they were just showing support. On another occasion, in a different place I was asked WHY I was wearing the gun, purportedly out of curiosity. I replied, it was for Bear protection, and I liked guns.

The question is,,, How accepting is the public of CC? Do they see the need? Do they see the presence of a gun as "In your face"? A threat? As MACHO?

My Baby sister lives in a small town, adjacent to a large city, in IL. The family doesn't lock their doors. Neighbors just walk in whenever they feel like it, and they do the same at their neighbors houses. Sometimes they do important or helpful things.

I consider that nothing less than "Foolhardy". My BIL is sort of a Gun Guy, too. I gather there are places where he would appreciate CC. This is an example of someone who doesn't consider CC as a serious need.

Thanks,
    Smitty of the North
    I had a dumbass employee at sportsmans in Soldotna say VERY loudly "Hey your weapon is exposed". Turns out my shirt slipped over the grip when I was bending over. Anyway I was really upset he made a big announcement vs tapping me on the shoulder and letting me know. I could have walked in with 6gun running down my leg, what would he have done then?? These young kids need better parenting....

As far as what other people think, I don't care and I don't need to justify it to anyone. We're the ONLY Country in the world where the PEOPLE have a Constitutional Right to bear arms and for GREAT reasons. If more people understood our history they would all be carrying...

Judging from his action, I'd say dumbass is an apt description.

Is it unlawful when your CC shows? Isn't OC, legal? And if so, what does it matter? You could have tucked your shirt in.

Correct me, if I'm wrong. Isn't CC something that accommodates US? If we fail to accomplish it, are we to be thrown out of SW?

We don't need to justify, or care what others think about CC, but I was trying to get an idee, of how folks who are NOT gun nuts view it.

At this point, I don't think CC is in jeopardy. (In danger of being repealed) but the very guns we hope to conceal, might be.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Most everyone that knows me knows that I carry. I donít open carry but am not going to wear extra layers to hide it on warm days! My general answer if someone questions my reason for ccs is that I am in 100% compliance with state and federal laws.......thatís all they hear from me!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Most everyone that knows me knows that I carry. I donít open carry but am not going to wear extra layers to hide it on warm days! My general answer if someone questions my reason for ccs is that I am in 100% compliance with state and federal laws.......thatís all they hear from me!
    Right. If it shows, no big deal.

Has anyone made your CC an issue?

Look at what Chez said. He was perfectly within his rights, and the "da" called attention to it. Had the da been discreet, it would have been a show of support. He didn't, so he was perhaps more than a DA. He probably believes in "common sense gun laws".

We need to have an OC Day for demo purposes.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I always carry outside the house. When I wear a jacket, I have a Glock 36 in my pocket. I even walk around with it in the back pocket of my jeans. No-one has even noticed as far as I know.
    I just bought a Galco SOB right-handed for one of my 1911's off eBay (previously owned, wonderfully broken-in), I am going to try that this weekend. Without any cover. I also bought a Galco Combat Master left handed for 1911. I'll try that tonight when I get off work.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I use the "belly band thing" looks and works like a back brace and I love it. I can carry no matter what type of clothing I am wearing. I used a nice leather IWB holster that was really comfortable but my pants "shrunk" to a point that is no longer comfortable. One thing I don't really like is driving while carrying. For that I have one of those magnet things under my dash that I attach my Kimber to when I am in the truck. Easy to pull it out of the holster when i drive and slap it on the magnet then replace it when I get out. Way more accessible that way in the truck too.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    I use the "belly band thing" looks and works like a back brace and I love it. I can carry no matter what type of clothing I am wearing. I used a nice leather IWB holster that was really comfortable but my pants "shrunk" to a point that is no longer comfortable. One thing I don't really like is driving while carrying. For that I have one of those magnet things under my dash that I attach my Kimber to when I am in the truck. Easy to pull it out of the holster when i drive and slap it on the magnet then replace it when I get out. Way more accessible that way in the truck too.
    Hmm, I might try a belly band again, but for now, I have OWB holsters for each of my CCs that are working pretty good.

The IWBs I've tried have been difficult to put on, take off, holster, reholster, with on exception, and it is for a small gun.

And I dunno about those magnet things, what they look like, or even what they're called.
    Thanks, SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Hmm, I might try a belly band again, but for now, I have OWB holsters for each of my CCs that are working pretty good.

The IWBs I've tried have been difficult to put on, take off, holster, reholster, with on exception, and it is for a small gun.

And I dunno about those magnet things, what they look like, or even what they're called.
    Thanks, SOTN
    With the belly band it's just an elastic strap that holds the gun in place and it's easy in and out and secure for my Kimber ultra covert in 45, even has a spot for an extra mag if you want. It goes on with velcro like a back Brace. I like it because I can wear shorts or pants without a belt and it works great, not sure how comfortable it would be if you have a belly.
    As far as the magnets go there is several different brands out now I use Gomagnets if you type in gomagnet on a Google search it'll pop up with different options. I drive a 1 ton that rides similar to a tractor with no suspension and it's never fallen or moved out of place on me, it keeps my pistol right next to my right knee and I also have one on my wife's side of the truck. It's secured with two small screws and works great. Also have a set in my wife's car. They're small rare earth magnets about 1"x2" so they're not that big and have some kind of rubberish cover on them to keep from scratching the finish I think I paid about 30$ for them.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    With the belly band it's just an elastic strap that holds the gun in place and it's easy in and out and secure for my Kimber ultra covert in 45, even has a spot for an extra mag if you want. It goes on with velcro like a back Brace. I like it because I can wear shorts or pants without a belt and it works great, not sure how comfortable it would be if you have a belly.
    As far as the magnets go there is several different brands out now I use Gomagnets if you type in gomagnet on a Google search it'll pop up with different options. I drive a 1 ton that rides similar to a tractor with no suspension and it's never fallen or moved out of place on me, it keeps my pistol right next to my right knee and I also have one on my wife's side of the truck. It's secured with two small screws and works great. Also have a set in my wife's car. They're small rare earth magnets about 1"x2" so they're not that big and have some kind of rubberish cover on them to keep from scratching the finish I think I paid about 30$ for them.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    OK, I gott'em. (Gun Magnets) Endless variety on Amazon.

Thanks,
    SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Right. If it shows, no big deal.

Has anyone made your CC an issue?

Look at what Chez said. He was perfectly within his rights, and the "da" called attention to it. Had the da been discreet, it would have been a show of support. He didn't, so he was perhaps more than a DA. He probably believes in "common sense gun laws".

We need to have an OC Day for demo purposes.

Smitty of the North
    Nobody makes a big deal about it. I have been questioned a couple of times and it comes from outsiders who flock to this liberal town! I am in great standing with the local police and they all know that I carry and welcome it. I will not flaunt it but don't get excited if it happens to show unbeknownst to me. It used to show most of the time when I was out and about on a motorcycle. The wind just blows my shirt up a bit. I won't act like a woman in a short skirt who happens to be out and about on a windy day afraid of what she might show the world. I ain't at all embarrassed about my gun!

I think CC has a couple of very fine details that must be followed in order for it to be effective and comfortable. As an example, my two favorite CC weapons are both double stack semi-autos that donít require me to adapt my wardrobe. I regularly carry a gen4 G20 or my Springfield Mod.2 with the flush mag.
    I use a variety of kydex holsters and have found that a slight forward cant at a 4(ish) oíclock position fits right in to the contour of my lower back, obviously this will be different for everyone. Iím 6í at 175lbs, I donít have any rolls to contend with. Haha! I wear Volcom, Night train, and Empyre jeans mostly with ProClub t-shirts, flannels and vest if itís cold. As an early 20ís guy, Iíve found no issue with just sticking in the holster and heading out! Finding what works for you in your range of movement is simply trial and error. Though, Iíve found, the mod.2 doesnít cost me barely any mag cap. and a comparable footprint to the shield. Canít beat the feel of a good double stack in the mits!

On the topic of good or ill will towards CC, Iíve never had an noticeably bad experience on the few chances my shirt rides up over the grip. The idea of CC is to be concealed, however. Anytime youíre OC or exposed, you inherently make yourself a target. Youíre now ďthe most dangerous man in the roomĒ (WarriorPoet YouTube video about the subject). If anyone is looking start trouble, theyíre going to want to take out the guy with the gun first. Alternatively, anyone behind you can potentially try a gun grab. If you donít train on hand to hand, this can go bad. Even if you do, grappling with an unsecured firearm can always go bad. Not to sound like an alarmist, but itís best not to invite trouble. Obviously, this all goes out the window when youíre in the woods.

Hope that sheds some more light on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by audimyminds4 View Post
    I think CC has a couple of very fine details that must be followed in order for it to be effective and comfortable. As an example, my two favorite CC weapons are both double stack semi-autos that donít require me to adapt my wardrobe. I regularly carry a gen4 G20 or my Springfield Mod.2 with the flush mag.
    I use a variety of kydex holsters and have found that a slight forward cant at a 4(ish) oíclock position fits right in to the contour of my lower back, obviously this will be different for everyone. Iím 6í at 175lbs, I donít have any rolls to contend with. Haha! I wear Volcom, Night train, and Empyre jeans mostly with ProClub t-shirts, flannels and vest if itís cold. As an early 20ís guy, Iíve found no issue with just sticking in the holster and heading out! Finding what works for you in your range of movement is simply trial and error. Though, Iíve found, the mod.2 doesnít cost me barely any mag cap. and a comparable footprint to the shield. Canít beat the feel of a good double stack in the mits!

On the topic of good or ill will towards CC, Iíve never had an noticeably bad experience on the few chances my shirt rides up over the grip. The idea of CC is to be concealed, however. Anytime youíre OC or exposed, you inherently make yourself a target. Youíre now ďthe most dangerous man in the roomĒ (WarriorPoet YouTube video about the subject). If anyone is looking start trouble, theyíre going to want to take out the guy with the gun first. Alternatively, anyone behind you can potentially try a gun grab. If you donít train on hand to hand, this can go bad. Even if you do, grappling with an unsecured firearm can always go bad. Not to sound like an alarmist, but itís best not to invite trouble. Obviously, this all goes out the window when youíre in the woods.

Hope that sheds some more light on the subject.
    Thanks. Those are the kind of issues I wanted to explore. How others are doing it, attitudes about CC of those who do it, and those who don't and might disapprove.

I'm thinking that successful CC is more about being discreet, than being very picky about concealment. It can be as simple as putting a gun and holster on your belt and wearing a long tail shirt, vest, or jacket. Or, just putting said gun in your pocket, with or without a pocket holster.

Recently, I've noticed 2, OCs (they would have been CC if there was a loose shirt or jacket) In each case, they were 1911s strapped close, and probably missed by a lot of folks. However folks are doing it, myself included, it must be successful, because I almost never notice CC on other folks. It could be, though, that there is very little CC going on. ???

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Thanks. Those are the kind of issues I wanted to explore. How others are doing it, attitudes about CC of those who do it, and those who don't and might disapprove.

I'm thinking that successful CC is more about being discreet, than being very picky about concealment. It can be as simple as putting a gun and holster on your belt and wearing a long tail shirt, vest, or jacket. Or, just putting said gun in your pocket, with or without a pocket holster.

Recently, I've noticed 2, OCs (they would have been CC if there was a loose shirt or jacket) In each case, they were 1911s strapped close, and probably missed by a lot of folks. However folks are doing it, myself included, it must be successful, because I almost never notice CC on other folks. It could be, though, that there is very little CC going on. ???

Smitty of the North
    I can assure you, there is a LOT more cc going on than you realize.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Iím always looking for other CCíers in public but, Iíve realized, guns are ridiculously easy to buy and conceal. Iím sure, like SmokeRoss said, more people carry than we realize. I might add, that people who have no business carrying and who you probably wouldnít want carrying, have something tucked in the waistband.

Easy access means less barrier to entry...

Quote Originally Posted by audimyminds4 View Post
    Iím always looking for other CCíers in public but, Iíve realized, guns are ridiculously easy to buy and conceal. Iím sure, like SmokeRoss said, more people carry than we realize. I might add, that people who have no business carrying and who you probably wouldnít want carrying, have something tucked in the waistband.

Easy access means less barrier to entry...
    I think that is the price we pay for not having a Government "minder" to tell us what we can't do, or to have someone in "authority" micro-manage us because we "might" do something, even if we wouldn't.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I think youíre right and Iím not against it. Just an observation.

I observe the same things. There are certainly people who are too stupid top own firearms. Unfortunately, there is no firearm knowledge test to own one. Sometimes, I think that would be an OK thing. But then where would it end. My fear is that it would lead to Government micro management. But, back to CC, and off the Gov't rules/Individual intelligence sidetrack. Carry high/Carry tight. Put up with some discomfort. You are carrying a gun. It won't carry itself. Lose some of that weight. It will make you a better, healthier person. I'm not slim, but I can run 2 1/2 miles, and I just turned 59.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast