Thread: Muskrat?

Default Muskrat?

I never tried it, but was watching the "Alone" tv show last night and saw that one guy ate one and got deathly ill. Had to tap out. Any of you ever ate one?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I've never had it myself but (Muskrat dinners) were a common thing in SE Mich. years ago....like a wild game event only just Muskrat....tons of them here with the old marsh's from Lake Erie and Detroit river....lot's more trapper's in the past as you could imagine too....there was even a restaurant not long ago that still had it on the menu....have heard both good and ehhh ! lol....the folk who liked it, loved it !!….

Not sure how many ways to cook it but I always heard that boiling was involved at the beginning....

Quote Originally Posted by 50incher View Post
    Not sure how many ways to cook it but I always heard that boiling was involved at the beginning....
    This guy cooked it over an open fire. He was pretty hungry and I wondered if he cooked it long enough. I thought he had but he showed the bones after and I think I saw one that looked a little pink. He was also pretty picky about how he cleaned it as well. It definitely surprised me that it made him sick though. After he tapped out they took him to the hospital and said he was suffering from intestinal paralysis. That's interesting that they would actually be a featured item at a restaurant!

A good rule of thumb is to cook until the joint at the top of the rear thigh breaks loose when twisted lightly. Used to cook 1,200-1,500 half chickens for the church barbeque and that's the rule we used for doneness.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

I’m pretty sure I saw Chip and his family killing and cooking up a bunch of them this past year on his show.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    I’m pretty sure I saw Chip and his family killing and cooking up a bunch of them this past year on his show.
    Well maybe he'll chime in and let us know all about it. But until then I guess the rest of you guys/gals haven't had the pleasure? Would be interesting to know what it tastes like? I would think a lot like beaver, but I haven't had that either and have heard it's real, REAL, good.

I've had muskrat before. My friend cooked it in a crockpot and it was very good. Our local trapper gave me some beaver, pine martin and river otter that she and her three kids trapped this year. The river otter was actually better than I expected. Not much for backstraps that's for sure. The back legs have a generous amount of meat. I'd eat it again. The beaver was excellent fare. It smelled good and tasted good. I was totally surprised. I made jerky and cooked some in a crockpot. After eating beaver, I'm surprised it's not more popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Longbow6360 View Post
    The beaver was excellent fare. It smelled good and tasted good. I was totally surprised. I made jerky and cooked some in a crockpot. After eating beaver, I'm surprised it's not more popular.
    I think all the beaver trappers have been keeping it somewhat a trade secret. Who'd a thought? But a friend of mine in MI. trapped a few this past winter and said he couldn't believe how good it was. He likened it to some of the best prime rib he's ever tasted.

Seeing that so far you're the only one here that has tried it, what would you compare muskrat to?

I would view anything on a reality show with a lot of suspicion.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

You can eat pretty much any mammal on the planet. No poisonous mammals. Now, whether or not the meat was sour, rank, or contaminated with parasites is another matter altogether. My guess is the person on the show you were watching probably ate some contaminated meat.

Quote Originally Posted by bushwhack jack View Post
    you can eat pretty much any mammal on the planet. No poisonous mammals. Now, whether or not the meat was sour, rank, or contaminated with parasites is another matter altogether. My guess is the person on the show you were watching probably ate some contaminated store bought rabbit meat.
    fify.....…..

Having Eskimo in-laws, I've eaten muskrat, beaver, tree and ground squirrels, marmot, porcupine, etc. when any of those was on the table. They were all eatable, especially when oven roasted in a covered pan with onions. None would be my choice over moose, caribou, black bear, rabbit or other more standard fare, but you eat what is set before you, right?

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    fify.....…..
    Hey SmokeRoss, what's Fify?

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Hey SmokeRoss, what's Fify?
    Fixed it for you.

I seen this episode of alone. To me it looked like he had symptoms of giardiasis (beaver fever)