Thread: 270 Win reloading question

Default 270 Win reloading question

Hey All. I'm looking for COL for a .270 Win, 130 gr Accubond. I can not find the lenght published in book or internet. Thanks for the help.

Default 270 Win OAL

The maximum SAAMI length for the 270 Win is 3.340".... regardless of bullet. That is usually based upon most normal long rifle magazine lengths-- then the factories try to throat the chambers long enough so that "most" any factory 270 Win loaded round (with most normal ogive bullets) will have some "free bore" in the throat to keep pressures safe AND will fit into the magazine. For any particular rifle and bullet combination it's best to get that unique maximum cartridge overall length (the length to lands contact) using a gauge for the purpose or by the smoked-bullet-in-loose-neck technique.... then seat the bullet .020-.050" deeper (shorter OAL) to start the load development process. The caveat here is that some factory rifles are chambered with such long throats that even with the bullet seated long, at max magazine length, they may still be way off the lands.... a condition that many times doesn't help accuracy. BTW... Weatherby proprietary factory chambers are long throated.... extended freebore... so as to achieve the highest velocities without creating erratic and extreme pressures.

As George says 3.340", that should be listed in your loading manual....you are using a loading manual, aren't you? You will then tap dance around this 3.340" COL to find the optimum length for your rifle, considering the magazine and throat length.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks guys. I am using a reloading manual, Hodgdon. For any given bullet they give a COL, for example: A Hornady spitzer 130 gr should have a COL of 3.280, where a Nosler partition 160 gr should have a COL of 3.340. I just always try to follow the recipes so I can keep my eyes and other parts. Thanks again for the help.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
    Thanks guys. I am using a reloading manual, Hodgdon. For any given bullet they give a COL, for example: A Hornady spitzer 130 gr should have a COL of 3.280, where a Nosler partition 160 gr should have a COL of 3.340. I just always try to follow the recipes so I can keep my eyes and other parts. Thanks again for the help.
    That's good. The rule is, for safety's sake, that we do not seat a bullet deeper than the loading notes say for that bullet and that charge of that powder, etc. Seating it farther out is ok, that lowers pressure, until we contact the rifling, which can cause a big jump in initial pressure. If you take a max load from a manual with a particular bullet/powder/primer/case configuration changing any component requires a reduction in charge. Also seating it deeper requires a lesser charge to keep pressures in the normal band. We can get by with seating out longer as above.

Sometimes a manual seats a bullet to a cannelure which is different than the SAAMI maximum overall length. Normally the 270 with 130 grain bullets is seated shorter than SAAMI maximum length for the cartridge because the bullet is relatively short.

Good thinkin', though. Better than jumpin' in too deep.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I thought you could only get .270 accubonds in 140 grain? You can follow, or start with, the data for Ballistic tips in the Nosler manual and play a little with your col as the others suggested. They are long bullets but in my carl gustaf they just fit in the magazine at .025 from the lands. In a detachable style mag you might have to seat them a little deeper.

Thanks for the help all. Will be at the range later today to give them a whirl.
    -35gibber-they do come in 130s and 140s.

Default 270 length etc

Agree with Murphy... seems like your head is on straight for reloading. After all.... harnessing 50-60K psi under your nose is no joke. The thing about the recommended Cartridge Lengths as listed in manuals is that it is based upon what the ballisticians used as standard when developing the load data with their pressure guns and all labs work within the SAAMI specs. and frameworks. Example: even though the SAAMI specs for the 270 Win max COL is 3.340"... that doesn't mean that you couldn't load a wadcutter style or very short radius roundnose bullet well under the 3.340" and still jam it hard into the lands creating a very bad pressure situation. Those length numbers are only guidelines-- the best insurance for quality and safety is knowledge and attention to detail. Since the sleek Accubond ogive profile is fairly similar to (if not the same as) the Ballistic Tip you should be fine using the BT lengths as 35G suggested. It is not the COL that is the critical part... it is the COL as it relates to lands contact. If you are serious about reloading for safety and accuracy it would pay to invest in the time to learn the smoked-bullet-in-loose-neck technique or invest in a cartridge specific gauge like the Stoney Point to get the REAL COL at lands contact for your rifle. Rifle throats vary greatly in the critical COL to lands contact dimension. With the bullet in loose neck technique or the 270 Win gauge you could get that important number for ANY bullet you wish to shoot in your rifle. Then those length numbers are a permanent record in your load book. Then at any time you could refer back to those unique numbers good only for your rifle and covering any bullet you've checked. Anywho... good luck!

Got back from the range a little bit ago. Was somewhat disappointed in my groups. Some loads grouped better than others but there were a few fliers with every load. I guess I need to do some more!!

Are you weighing every charge? Be sure you do. The scoops are nice, but don't trust them to do the job right.

I use a scale, scoop the initial load, then use a trickler to bring it up to exactly what I want.

Out of curiosity, what powder are you using, what load size, and is this brass new or used. If it's used, was it previously used in your rifle?

Thanks, good luck, KRS

Oh, by the way, if a particular factory ammo shoots good for you, then measure it and start there (so long as it's withing the standard). If you have a box that shot terrible, measure that brand against the box that shot well and see where your handloads need to be.

I handload and shoot a 270 Win also (Win Mod 70 made by USRAC).

Nosler partitions, IMR 4350, 55 grains (I think, I'll go check).

Thumbs up Reloader 22

Reloader 22 is a excellent powder for the 270 Win........60.0 w/130
    and Fed 210 Match primers with 130 AB
    Alaska

KRS- I use a Redding dump, maybe I should weight every charge but I check it every 10th dump on the scale. I used H414 and started at 50.5 and went up to 54.5 in 1gr increments. The 50.5 loads were probably the best groupers but there were a couple of fliers.

Quote Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
    KRS-.......... I used H414 and started at 50.5 and went up to 54.5 in 1gr increments. The 50.5 loads were probably the best groupers but there were a couple of fliers.
    There's your problem, Dump the H414 and get some H4831 or RL-22 and fill the case. You're loading a 270.

Default What Murph said...

Turn the H414 into fertilizer. Throw in in the flower patch and water it down!
    4831 is probably THE single best powder for the .270 with any bullet weight.
    Lately, though, I found a 150 gr. load out of the Speer manual using IMR 7828, WW case, 215 Federal primer, and 150 Grand Slam. Mr. Chronograph says 2960 out of two of my 24" .270's. Groups run around an inch and a quarter at a hundred for a quick magazine-full off the bags. Plenty good for a hunting load. I see less pressure/stress signs on my cases with the 7828 than 4831, BUT, I also haven't had to use that load in the 'Oh My Goodness Gracious it's COLD', yet.