Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bait station triple!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ...We finally had to bag it as we came to the conclusion that the black bear had died, quit pumping blood, and had been snatched by one of the brownies we've been dealing with all season.....
    That surely is a possibility. What a shame. Was it off a bait as well?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    That surely is a possibility. What a shame. Was it off a bait as well?
    Yeah, both had/have been feeding off our barrels. The brownies have been passing up our offerings lately, probably mostly because we switched to sweet stuff. He wanted protein, and apparently got it. Came back a few days later and utterly squashed our big barrel, out of spite I think. We pulled one barrel today and may pull the other unless we see a blackie on camera. Glad my son got a nice (and his first) black bear back in May in our cell.

Brownies eat sweets. Protein than know how to get. Sweets right now they donít. Sometimes they just donít seem to care for bait.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Brownies eat sweets. Protein than know how to get. Sweets right now they donít. Sometimes they just donít seem to care for bait.
    Interesting syntax there... Yoda?

Interesting syntax there... Yoda?
    Pardon me while I google syntax....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I lost a black bear last weekend. I hit it good, and it took off bawling. I waited 10 minutes and begin following a copious blood trail. My sons showed up at the site and we worked together following the trail which showed greater blood flow as he went along. Several places where he laid down. I figured it was a done deal. about 300 yards later we got to a place where there was torn up earth and three great big patches of blood, but no bear! We separated and made concentric searches for another blood trail, but after about an hour we found nothing. Not one trace! Not ready to give up, we flanked the original trail thinking the bear had doubled back on us, but nada. We finally had to bag it as we came to the conclusion that the black bear had died, quit pumping blood, and had been snatched by one of the brownies we've been dealing with all season. Pretty disappointing. Hated not getting that bear, nice one too.
    Been there, done that. Same story, different bear.

Once I stuck an arrow in a black all the way up to the fletching. I watched the arrow penetrate right into the boiler room. I felt very confident about the shot. The bear ran off about 100 yards and the arrow came out. I found the arrow and it was covered in dark, red blood with some bubbles in the blood. Good indication to me that it was more than likely a lung shot. Then the blood trail ran cold. Nothing. I had 2 different experienced friends try to track it with me. We scoured that place for hours. Never found the bear. Another time I shot this nice black bear eating blueberries up high on a mountain slope. As soon as I shot the bear took off to the treeline. I tried to get off a second shot but he was too fast. I tracked that bear for 5 hours down the mountain. He must have lost a gallon blood! I can't imagine how much blood it would have lost to paint the alders red all the way down a mountain. I'm not positive that it was a shot in the kill zone, but I found absolutely no evidence of a gut shot. Lots of dark red blood was lost. To make a long story short, lost the blood trail on the bottom of the mountain and never picked it back up again. Searched for a long time for that bear. It never ceases to amaze me the endurance of bears. I believe and I've heard lots of stories from others that bears can go a long ways on adrenaline. I'm a firm believer and as I said earlier, I won't stop shooting at bears until they stop moving. Twice when I was guiding hunters for brown bears I have seen brown bears take more than 8 shots before they went down (both rifles unloaded).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12