Thread: 6.5 Swede Accuracy Loads?

Default 6.5 Swede Accuracy Loads?

I am looking for a couple good accurate handloads for a 29 inch barreled Swede Mauser. I will probably only be using it in the local Mauser Matches so accuracy is my only concern..
    I have a Oberndorf "1900" M-96 on the way here....
    I am all on edge waiting to see what it looks like when it arrives.....
    It has the long 29 inch barrel and everything is matching , including the cleaning rod, (except the rear sight)

And get this,,, for some reason it has a turned down bolt handle,, but the bolt serial number matches the action and other parts...
    makes me wonder what happend there....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default 6.5 general comments

None of the loads I've tried in my Swedes were 'losers'. Just doesn't seem to be in the cards for these things to shoot badly, unless the rifle is damaged, or the stock is cattywampus.
    For match shooting, think 140 gr bullet and around 41 gr. IMR 4350 with a Federal 210 and WW cases, (Norma if you can get them, but they're pricey) or the 129 Hornady with 42 gr, but seated out to be just off the lands, and work through the magazine (looks funky, but works well).
    I've been playing with 160 Hornady and Sierra round noses. I was thinking hunting load with these (SD is way up there on both these bullets, if they'll hold together!)
    What you might want to try before you invest heavily in dies and a new shellholder (you'll need the right shellholder because a #3 doesn't work with all cases) is to pick up a box or two of the PMC 140 gr. soft point ammunition, and see how it treats you on paper. If nothing else, it's good brass for reloading, is inexpensive, and shoots well enough that it makes me scratch my head wondering why I load for this round........
    My understanding about the bent bolt handles was that they did that for some of the cavalry troops so that the bolt handle didn't dig into their backs as badly when slung across the back. Good story, even if it ain't right...

I agree with Darreld, Hndy 129 Imr 4350 41.5 g to 43 g give between 2550 and 2650fps and sub 1 inch 100yd groups if your eyes are up to it in my 1896 CG. Hndy are cheap and accurate and deadly on deer if you feel the need.

sierra 120 and IMR 4895 were also good, i don't have the data with me.

If the rifle is in good shape, you will find that most suggested loads will give good accuracy a 140 grain boat tail might be best for match though. In good shape they are excellent rifles.

If loading close to the lands just about any bullet will be seated out a long way which seems to have no adverse affect on accuracy.

I am almost certain that no standard M96 29 inch left the factory with a bent bolt so that is a modification. Possibly a sniper version....but that would NOT be cheap! and there would be telltale holes in the reciever.

Oh yeah, I paid more due to it being a little odd. I still have to take the stock off and see if the serial number in there has anything to do with the rest of the rifle..once it finally gets here....
    The stock disc (if it is even original to this rifle) has no mark on the (1-2-3) section and is marked as being right at 6.50mm on the bore size section.

I have a bunch of IMR 4350, a can or two of RE-22 and RE-19, Varget plus some old 3031....well actually a filing cabinet full of odd powders..
    I have the big RCBS shell holder collection , but I need dies...
    I need to find brass / projectiles the next time I drive up to Los Anchorage....

If that stock disc is original then the barrel was "as new" when last inspected. If it hasn't been shot too much then you should have a nice shooter. A little mark on the wrist by the trigger guard will even tell you the name of the fellow who inspected it. I believe 'house of Karlina' website has the info on that.

Good luck, I hope you get a tack driver !

I agree with much of what has been said about the Swede and its shooting ability. My hunting load is 50 gr. 4831 with 140 gr. Hornady in Lapua cases. I get 2800 fps out of a 24" barrel. Cases have been loaded over a dozen times so pressure is reasonable. Good luck. J.

Default 6.5

For target work- a couple of bullets worth looking at are the 123 & 139 gr Lapua Scenar. The longer 139 may be better suited to the original Swede because they were chambered to handle the long round nose stuff. Play with 4350, Rel 19 and Varget. I've shot some truly outstanding groups with the 123 Scenar and Varget... but only in a custom gun- not in an original Swede Mauser. I sold the one I had many moons ago but if memory serves it shot best with the bullets seated out a ways... as others have suggested.

I gotta figure out how to get some brass and .264 bullet here...
    Anyone have a good internet source..?

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I gotta figure out how to get some brass and .264 bullet here...
    Anyone have a good internet source..?
    I've spent more than a few dollars with these folks for the past 15 years.

http://www.lockstock.com/

Default internet source

Float Pilot,
    Quite a few net sources out there. Shipping is usually a pain but shouldn't be too much problem for brass and bullets. Just wish companies would use Flat Rate Priority for such stuff.... oh well. Shop around. You might also look at:

midwayusa.com

grafs.com