Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 96

Thread: 2019 Copper River Dipnetting Reports

  1. #1

    Default 2019 Copper River Dipnetting Reports

    I'd imagine the reports should be rolling in soon. Sonar numbers look great, water level is low, let us know how you are doing down there!

  2. #2
    Member cdubbin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KP, the dingleberry of Alaska
    Posts
    2,119

    Default

    And stay safe....

    Russell Hepler, a sergeant with the Alaska Army National Guard, died Saturday when he was swept away by the current of the Copper River while dipnetting, according to a report from the Guard Sunday.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.adn...tType=amp-type
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

  3. #3
    Member coop22250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley
    Posts
    519

    Default

    Sad deal, there is no room for mistakes along most of that river. I think the safest is probably the Congo line at the big bridge.


    I have yet to begin to procrastinate

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    25

    Default

    The line at the bridge is insane. DON'T TOUCH THAT WATER!!! Wading out to chest deep and trying to fish it like Kenai or Kasilof is flat out nuts. One misstep and you are gone.

  5. #5
    Member thewhop2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,405

    Default

    R U saying that the people at the bridge are nuts and the line is long????
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip? ALASKADIPNETTING.NET

  6. #6
    Member skybust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    alaska
    Posts
    2,523

    Default

    Can someone please tell me if you can still put a boat in at OBrien . Thanks for any information.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

  7. #7
    Member coop22250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley
    Posts
    519

    Default



    Well I guess I was comparing the bridge to this style that I’ve seen. I’ll take the bridge I guess.


    I have yet to begin to procrastinate

  8. #8
    Member coho slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    Can someone please tell me if you can still put a boat in at OBrien . Thanks for any information.
    You can't right now. Everyone is launching at the bridge. Saw a pic a friend took who is out there. I've never seen so many boats...all on the Chitina-side of the bridge on the gravel bar. Water is too low to launch anywhere else. Hem posted a pic at O'Brien... unless you want to drop your boat down a ten foot embankment that's out. Not sure about launching there any more after last year's floods washed most of it away.

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    293

    Default

    Mind sharing the pic? I'm heading out with my boat tomorrow and interested to see what a zoo it is.

  10. #10
    Member skybust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    alaska
    Posts
    2,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    You can't right now. Everyone is launching at the bridge. Saw a pic a friend took who is out there. I've never seen so many boats...all on the Chitina-side of the bridge on the gravel bar. Water is too low to launch anywhere else. Hem posted a pic at O'Brien... unless you want to drop your boat down a ten foot embankment that's out. Not sure about launching there any more after last year's floods washed most of it away.

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

    Thank for the update
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

  11. #11
    Member coho slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a2thak View Post
    Mind sharing the pic? I'm heading out with my boat tomorrow and interested to see what a zoo it is.
    I'll see if I can find it again on Facebook. I didn't say it was a zoo, just that I'd never seen that many boats there, which makes sense if it's the only place to launch.

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    8,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    You can't right now. Everyone is launching at the bridge. Saw a pic a friend took who is out there. I've never seen so many boats...all on the Chitina-side of the bridge on the gravel bar. Water is too low to launch anywhere else. Hem posted a pic at O'Brien... unless you want to drop your boat down a ten foot embankment that's out. Not sure about launching there any more after last year's floods washed most of it away.

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Sounds like maybe it's returned closer to the way it used to be, back before the flood that took out the previous bridge and deposited that big alluvial fan that subsequently became a parking lot?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

  13. #13
    Member coho slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a2thak View Post
    Mind sharing the pic? I'm heading out with my boat tomorrow and interested to see what a zoo it is.
    Decided I probably shouldn't share the pic without permission. There's about 15 boats, which isn't horrible, you just don't usually see them all in the same spot. Also, the pic is from mid-week during the first opening, so I'm sure it's gotten busier.

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Member coho slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Sounds like maybe it's returned closer to the way it used to be, back before the flood that took out the previous bridge and deposited that big alluvial fan that subsequently became a parking lot?
    Yeah, about half the parking lot is now the main channel.

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Decided I probably shouldn't share the pic without permission. There's about 15 boats, which isn't horrible, you just don't usually see them all in the same spot. Also, the pic is from mid-week during the first opening, so I'm sure it's gotten busier.

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Fair enough. Hopefully I'll have a good report when I get back. Doing a boat charter Thursday as I'm a bit nervous to boat the Copper for the first time, then taking my boat out on it Friday.

  16. #16
    Member coho slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a2thak View Post
    Fair enough. Hopefully I'll have a good report when I get back. Doing a boat charter Thursday as I'm a bit nervous to boat the Copper for the first time, then taking my boat out on it Friday.
    Good plan. That river is nothing to mess around with. Good luck!

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Anyone have an update on the trail conditions down the canyon. I heard of the rock slide three miles in but was wondering if anyone had a boots on the ground report. Is it passable by ATV?

  18. #18

    Default

    Just got back with a healthy haul. The slide area is not that big a deal. The large wench rock around 4.3 has been bull dozed out. Fishing was great for us but we found a hot spot and had a good rig. Others just prospecting and ill rigged (too small nets) were getting skunked

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger33 View Post
    Just got back with a healthy haul. The slide area is not that big a deal. The large wench rock around 4.3 has been bull dozed out. Fishing was great for us but we found a hot spot and had a good rig. Others just prospecting and ill rigged (too small nets) were getting skunked
    Thanks for the report. Any decent place this year to launch (and take back out) a boat?

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Humphrey View Post
    Anyone have an update on the trail conditions down the canyon. I heard of the rock slide three miles in but was wondering if anyone had a boots on the ground report. Is it passable by ATV?
    Heard from a friend that people are crossing the slide area on ATV but they said it doesn't look stable at all and some are opting not to cross. So, it is doable but not officially recommended.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •