Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2019 Copper River Dipnetting Reports

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    I'm bringing a net next week when I go to Valdez. If I have the time and energy I'm going to stop and try some late-season dipping, river conditions permitting, either on the way there or the way back.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Right on, would love to hear a report if you make it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by AKdreamn View Post
    Three years ago, based on the advice of a friend and of thefine folks at Hem and Copper River Charters, I changed my program completely.No longer to I watch counts, count days, read reports, and plan a whirlwindsuicide trip. Now I just wait until the second or third weekend in August, enjoythe drive with early fall color changes, bask in the serenity of a river that isdecidedly quieter than in in mid-July, and haul in fish after fish after fish. Isuspect you’ll find the same success I have by going in August. 8/15-16 is mytrip this year.
    Ok AK dream how was that August trip you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    Right on, would love to hear a report if you make it out there.
    Yeah, you bet. I'll let you know what happens. Haven't been out there this summer so I'm not too sure about fishable holes near parking since last year's flooding. I'll be alone and on foot so I'm not going to be too adventurous about things... Lol.

OK. So, as I reported here earlier this summer, I decided a fewyears ago that August would be my target for dipnetting the Copper. This year Ihad a pretty good year on the Kenai, and the Copper became a relatively distantpossibility. Through a little encouragement from my friend and dipnetting partner,we threw together a trip for this past weekend, 8/23-8/25. We drove over onFriday afternoon, arrived about 6 or so, and set up camp in the DOT parking lotat O’Brien creek. I talked to a couple people about their fishing, and theyreported catching about 60 fish in the course of an evening and a day, fishing aneddy just above the “Big Rock” that we see so often in Hem’s river levelupdates. The big rock was out of the water by ~6’ or so.

Anyway, we had come down prepared to wheeler down the trailand fish just above Haley Creek. Armed with this information, however, we decidedto give it a try. We caught 9 reds in about 2 hours on Friday night, and thenpicked up another 24 in a little over 7 hours on Saturday. It was not superhot, nor super consistent, but it was fish-worthy. The fish are amazing. Stillthe big ones that have been reported as more the norm throughout this summer. Ineed to get a scale to help keep my lies straight, but I’d estimate the biggestin the 5-lb range, and probably 3.5-4-lb average.

There were a handful of people fishing near us, with similar,but slightly lower results. We did have a good eddy. Upstream of us, the eddygot faster and stronger, and immediately downstream it went away, though ahard-working sweeper did pretty good there. I saw two boats launched over the literalboulder field. One of those groups came back surprisingly early. I talked tothem and they had picked up 8, but as they watched the river dropping, theybecame concerned about their ability to retrieve their boat. The second boat that launched came back earlier than Ihad suspected also, but I didn’t get a report from them.

One thing I will say about this fish: Of the 33 we caught,only 3-5 of them hit the nets hard like the June and July runs do. I don’t knowhow many fish got in and out of our nets, leaving us with a tail flick on thehoop on their way out the door. It is definitely more of a finesse game withthese later fish, as I experienced a similar phenomenon the last couple years.

No Kings. No Silvers. One Dolly. Only a couple starting to blush.My partner did pick up 2 doubles, though.

Right on! And thanks for the report. I’d say for a late August trip you definitely did well. Sure must of been pleasant down there compared to the high waters we experienced early July. I thought about making one last trip down but the freezer is looking like she’ll hold for this winter.

OK. So, as I reported here earlier this summer, I decided a fewyears ago that August would be my target for dipnetting the Copper. This year Ihad a pretty good year on the Kenai, and the Copper became a relatively distantpossibility. Through a little encouragement from my friend and dipnetting partner,we threw together a trip for this past weekend, 8/23-8/25. We drove over onFriday afternoon, arrived about 6 or so, and set up camp in the DOT parking lotat O’Brien creek. I talked to a couple people about their fishing, and theyreported catching about 60 fish in the course of an evening and a day, fishing aneddy just above the “Big Rock” that we see so often in Hem’s river levelupdates. The big rock was out of the water by ~6’ or so.

Anyway, we had come down prepared to wheeler down the trailand fish just above Haley Creek. Armed with this information, however, we decidedto give it a try. We caught 9 reds in about 2 hours on Friday night, and thenpicked up another 24 in a little over 7 hours on Saturday. It was not superhot, nor super consistent, but it was fish-worthy. The fish are amazing. Stillthe big ones that have been reported as more the norm throughout this summer. Ineed to get a scale to help keep my lies straight, but I’d estimate the biggestin the 5-lb range, and probably 3.5-4-lb average.

There were a handful of people fishing near us, with similar,but slightly lower results. We did have a good eddy. Upstream of us, the eddygot faster and stronger, and immediately downstream it went away, though ahard-working sweeper did pretty good there. I saw two boats launched over the literalboulder field. One of those groups came back surprisingly early. I talked tothem and they had picked up 8, but as they watched the river dropping, theybecame concerned about their ability to retrieve their boat. The second boat that launched came back earlier than Ihad suspected also, but I didn’t get a report from them.

One thing I will say about this fish: Of the 33 we caught,only 3-5 of them hit the nets hard like the June and July runs do. I don’t knowhow many fish got in and out of our nets, leaving us with a tail flick on thehoop on their way out the door. It is definitely more of a finesse game withthese later fish, as I experienced a similar phenomenon the last couple years.

No Kings. No Silvers. One Dolly. Only a couple starting to blush.My partner did pick up 2 doubles, though.
    That is all fantastic news. I've been planning on stopping there on my way to Valdez and that's pretty much where I was planning on fishing.

How much net pole did you need?

I would call a 3.5-4 pound average really small fish. And a 5 pounder isn't very big. I wouldn't turn down these fish, but I'm wondering if that size range is typical on the Copper River. I would release anything under 4 pounds on the Kenai.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnMike View Post
    I would call a 3.5-4 pound average really small fish. And a 5 pounder isn't very big. I wouldn't turn down these fish, but I'm wondering if that size range is typical on the Copper River. I would release anything under 4 pounds on the Kenai.
    Kenai reds do tend to be some big reds, but 5 pounders sounds small for the Copper. Seems to me they typically average around 7-8 pounds?

I went down Saturday afternoon, dipped a bit Saturday evening and again Sunday morning. Other than the Richardson Hwy closure by Birch Lake that killed an hour or so, it was a gorgeous day. Netted four reds in an hour and a half of dipping. Others in the area reported fishing was consistent all day, with a spike from around 2 - 4 pm. So, like usual, I missed the hot time . . . lol. Sunday morning was crickets. Started dipping at 0545 and dipped until 9 . . . not a bump.

As for fish size, the hens I caught were 6 1/2 -7 lbs and the buck was bigger, going in the 8+ range, maybe 9 lbs.

I only used (1) 6-ft pole. My partner’s pole was more in the8-ft range. We were sitting right on the ground, top of the net just barely submerged/justout of the water. The guy downstream from us sweeping had a 12-footer.

Like I said, I needto get a scale to keep my lies straight. I was fishing the Kenai this year andthought for sure “That’s at least an 8 or 9 pounder!”, but when I weighed it,it was 7.5 (on a fish scale). I’ll go with ArcticNorseman, and say that I ranmore of 6-1/2 to 7-lb average for the lot.

Anyway, it was aspectacular weekend. Best of luck to all that make the venture in the waningdays of this amazing summer.

I only used (1) 6-ft pole. My partner’s pole was more in the8-ft range. We were sitting right on the ground, top of the net just barely submerged/justout of the water. The guy downstream from us sweeping had a 12-footer.

Like I said, I needto get a scale to keep my lies straight. I was fishing the Kenai this year andthought for sure “That’s at least an 8 or 9 pounder!”, but when I weighed it,it was 7.5 (on a fish scale). I’ll go with ArcticNorseman, and say that I ranmore of 6-1/2 to 7-lb average for the lot.

Anyway, it was aspectacular weekend. Best of luck to all that make the venture in the waningdays of this amazing summer.
    Dropped in on O'Brien Creek on the way to Valdez just out of curiosity/recon. I brought a dipnet with me just in case. There were half a dozen folks fishing the eddie area just upstream from Hem's launch. They had about half a dozen fish from what I could see, said it was slow, and I got the feeling that they didn't want company, so my guess is fishing was better than they let on. I watched for a bit and didn't see anything caught, but I'm thinking I'll stop and give it at least a couple of hours on the way back to town in a couple of days.

I was wanting to get to Valdez for dinner anyway... lol.

Didn't mean to quote anyone in that post.

BTW... Weather was awesome there and it's great in Valdez, too. Could use at least a little breeze to cool my hotel room off.

Stopped Chitina Friday on the way back. People were definitely catching more fish there than Valdez. If there were any any Porta potties at O'Brien I would have stayed and given it a shot. I developed a little gastrointestinal distress, though, and I wasn't going to try that. Made Camp on McCarthy side of the bridge (also a lot less windy) with the Permanent outhouses nearby... LOL.

It was a quiet and pleasant night at this time of year.

Bottom line is it's still worth the time to dip the Copper at this point in the year. Might make that a plan and skip the crowds. So a number of fish caught Friday evening by others.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Stopped Chitina Friday on the way back. People were definitely catching more fish there than Valdez. If there were any any Porta potties at O'Brien I would have stayed and given it a shot. I developed a little gastrointestinal distress, though, and I wasn't going to try that. Made Camp on McCarthy side of the bridge (also a lot less windy) with the Permanent outhouses nearby... LOL.

It was a quiet and pleasant night at this time of year.

Bottom line is it's still worth the time to dip the Copper at this point in the year. Might make that a plan and skip the crowds. So a number of fish caught Friday evening by others.

Nice to hear. Were people catching fish by the McCarthy Bridge?
    -Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Nice to hear. Were people catching fish by the McCarthy Bridge?
    Negative. The fishing was all down by O'Brien that I saw. I didn't see anyone trying up stream. Water is super low. Basically no water at all on the upstream side of the bridge. It may be the lowest I've ever seen it.

Wanted to say thanks for all the positive feed in this thread this year, was an amazing season for dipnetting the Copper even with the high water early on. I’ve dipnetted for 10 years on this river and learned a lot this year. I was not able to make a third trip down this year but I am very pleased with the 60 reds resting in my freezer for the winter and the opportunity to help a couple friends with their limits as well.

Want to give a shout out to nick with 1775 charters for helping me out of a bind on the high water. The man is a true professional! Looking forward to what next season has to offer and hope to see some of you down there as well.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345