Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 95

Thread: 2019 Copper River Dipnetting Reports

  1. #61
    Member coho slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
    From what I have read (thank you, Google), it isn't a dietary difference, but rather a metabolic inability to digest or process carotene from what they eat, and that is why the pigment does not get into the meat, and it's genetic whether a fish has it or not.
    Wonder what the meat tastes like or if it's any different?

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

  2. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Wonder what the meat tastes like or if it's any different?

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

    I just baked it up along side a normal red salmon both dipped in melted butter then rolled in a ritz cracker crumble with a good spice. Bake time about 18 minutes at 425. They both turned out excellent with the main difference being the white Sockeye was extremely most in comparison to the other.

  3. #63
    Member coho slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    I just baked it up along side a normal red salmon both dipped in melted butter then rolled in a ritz cracker crumble with a good spice. Bake time about 18 minutes at 425. They both turned out excellent with the main difference being the white Sockeye was extremely most in comparison to the other.
    Nice. You're making me want to catch one, now.

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

  4. #64

    Default

    I flew the Copper last night from mouth of the Klutina down to the bridge by Chitina.
    There is still a lot of water moving down the river. There are some wrecked fishwheels just above the bridge. The one flying old glory is about to get completely washed away. Looked like it was a nice set up. Whoever owns it, you might want to get down there and salvage what you can.
    I ony saw one guy dipping on the Chitina side of the bridge. Like I said, a lot of water moving thru there. It did not look real safe.
    The water is dropping, I landed on a few sand bars and you can tell it just came off of them.
    That is my report. Hopefully the water keeps dropping and we can get to harvesting.
    Last edited by Bearsnack; 07-17-2019 at 08:37. Reason: Spelling

  5. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Thanks for the report! I would love to see a fishing report from the subsistence side, or anywhere in Chitna for that matter. I would think with the way the water has dropped and the copper nets from miles sonar the last 5 days that fishing should be top notch everywhere by now. I deckhanded on a subsistence boat a couple weeks ago in the high water and in 4 hours not even one bump. I would like to know if they are catching them now?

  6. #66

    Default

    iyouktug, we are one and done this year. We got enough fish to fill the freezers, especially with the 190+ lbs of halibut we pulled from Valdez and the 40lb Bluefin I just caught in San Diego. Time to start focusing on the turf so we don't spend the winter just eating surf.

  7. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    iyouktug, we are one and done this year. We got enough fish to fill the freezers, especially with the 190+ lbs of halibut we pulled from Valdez and the 40lb Bluefin I just caught in San Diego. Time to start focusing on the turf so we don't spend the winter just eating surf.
    Right on good to hear it and good luck on your hunting ventures, I think I am sitting pretty good with my 60 reds in the freezer. I may make another run to help a friend out with a permit and also to gather another river report. Also thinking about some halibut and a haul road caribou next.

  8. #68
    Member fshgde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    alaska
    Posts
    265

    Default

    I went down and dipped the canyon last night got my limit in of 35 in under a half hour. Packing up the hill took longer. Trail in good shape. Slide area has been made passable everyone was catching fish!

  9. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    Attachment 98064

    Heres a pic of the boat launch area in this high water just below the bridge, not too bad but just shallow. Where you at Jerod? You one and done this year or are you gonna make another run for the smoker?
    Thanks for the report and photo. Sure wish there was a better, more reliable launch there! I wonder what it will be like this upcoming weekend!?!

  10. #70
    Member coho slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,026

    Default

    I've got a week off at the end of August for my annual Valdez trip. I got skunked last year so this year I'm bringing a dip net and may try some late season dipping. I think there will still be plenty of fish, hardly anyone else fishing, and might even get a mix of reds and silvers.

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

  11. #71
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fshgde View Post
    I went down and dipped the canyon last night got my limit in of 35 in under a half hour. Packing up the hill took longer. Trail in good shape. Slide area has been made passable everyone was catching fish!
    Holy cow that's a fish like every 45-50 seconds!!! Thanks for the update.

  12. #72
    Member fshgde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    alaska
    Posts
    265

    Default

    When you get multiple fish per dip doesn’t take long. 5 in one net!

  13. #73
    Member TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    453

    Default

    How's the water level now?
    -Tim

  14. #74
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Dipped in the canyon on Friday night and it was the hottest I've ever seen. Between three of us we caught 130 in 2.5 hours. Doubles and triples were the normal, with only one small feeder king. The water came up Saturday morning and things seems to slow down slightly, but people were still catching them.

    PSA, please make sure to bring a bucket to wash down your spots after you're done. There were quite a few spots that were really bloody and fishy. This is a good way to get surprised by bears. Thanks!

  15. #75
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kdspillman View Post
    Dipped in the canyon on Friday night and it was the hottest I've ever seen. Between three of us we caught 130 in 2.5 hours. Doubles and triples were the normal, with only one small feeder king. The water came up Saturday morning and things seems to slow down slightly, but people were still catching them.

    PSA, please make sure to bring a bucket to wash down your spots after you're done. There were quite a few spots that were really bloody and fishy. This is a good way to get surprised by bears. Thanks!
    Thanks for the report!
    Did you take Hem's charter for a drop off or did you go down the trail and hike down the cliff to the river?
    Any idea if people are able to launch private boats still on the McCarthy side of the bridge?

  16. #76
    Member Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    5,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skrat View Post
    Any idea if people are able to launch private boats still on the McCarthy side of the bridge?
    I drove over there on Wed. and looked around. I saw one boat launching and that was it. It looked quite braided compared to other years. Looks like you will have to pick your way thru.

    Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.


  17. #77
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    13

    Default

    We took the trail in and walked down the cliffs. We drove over the bridge and there were a number of boats launching from the other side.

  18. #78
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Any recent reports? Also, why does adfg only display sonar counts through July 28th on the Copper?

  19. #79
    Member fshgde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    alaska
    Posts
    265

    Default

    I believe they pull sonar from river around then.

  20. #80
    Member coho slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    Any recent reports? Also, why does adfg only display sonar counts through July 28th on the Copper?
    I'm bringing a net next week when I go to Valdez. If I have the time and energy I'm going to stop and try some late-season dipping, river conditions permitting, either on the way there or the way back.

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •