Thread: Hares and Tularemia

Default Hares and Tularemia

Just and FYI for any of you hunting hares with dogs. I was reading an article regarding increased Tularemia caused by ticks in the central area and around Fairbanks. Recommendation is not to have dogs mouthing the hares and to handle them with rubber gloves.
    If you notice any lethargy or fevers or enlarged lymph nodes on your dogs- get them checked out! Stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    Just and FYI for any of you hunting hares with dogs. I was reading an article regarding increased Tularemia caused by ticks in the central area and around Fairbanks. Recommendation is not to have dogs mouthing the hares and to handle them with rubber gloves.
    If you notice any lethargy or fevers or enlarged lymph nodes on your dogs- get them checked out! Stay safe.
    Yep, I'm glad you posted this because I read this too. I also read that they test some hares positive with tularemia in the Kenny Lake area also, not just Fairbanks. I make a rule of my own to just now hunt them PERIOD in the months with an R in them. That seems to be a safe rule. But if you got dogs and cats in the suspected areas it would be wise to keep them on a short leash. At least until after the peak of the cycle crashes again.

I should have posted the article! As Bushwack mentioned- it is most often diagnosed in the summer (Memorial Day to Labor Day).

Here you go....

Y'all stay safe and take care of pups.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/alas...deadly-disease